Dangerous by Daniel Madison detailed review

James Wise Magic

Elite Member
Dec 28, 2007
Dangerous Disc 1: Mystique

Alright so, I've had Dangerous for awhile, maybe about 2 months. I didn't want to write a review for it yet because I wanted to really experiment with the tricks and flourishes and perform them for other people to really see of what I think of it. So lets start with Mystique.

Bad Influence The effect 3 people are chosen to participate, you hand the deck to them and they can shuffle up the deck as much as they like; you then tell them to scan through the cards and try to find a certain card the magician has decided to say. For example, he might say "Try to find the Queen of Hearts" so the first spectator trys to find it, he/she takes it out but doesn't look at it, he/she then passes the deck to the next person and does the same thing, say the magician says "now try to find the 4 of diamonds", he/she will try to find it and takes it out and passes the deck to the last person and does the exact same thing. Then the magician turns over the 3 cards to show that all 3 of the cards were the cards that were selected and said.

My Thoughts Alright I really love this trick! Even since I started magic I've known a trick that's quite similar to this one, but this steps it up and makes it an advanced version! It's totally free and happens in the spectators hand. I've performed this soooooooo many times and have gotten reactions! Something that I like to do is have the person write it down to make sure they remember it because sometimes the spectators will forget their card and I've noticed that if they don't remember the cards, they will still react but if they remember their card, they will really freak out and you will get much better reactions! Love the effect! 8/10

Aces The Effect The spectator takes the deck and shuffles it then gives it back to the magician claiming that even though the spectator has shuffled the cards, that he knows where all the Aces are. With just a quick little Sybil move, he finds and produces the first Ace. Then suddenly the second Ace appears in his/her back pocket. The third Ace appears as the whole deck vanishes and appears as the third ace. The forth Ace appears suddenly on the table on top the aces.

My thoughts Ok I'm not a big fan of this trick. I've practiced it and performed it for people but they don't seem to be all that amazed, they actaully seem kind of confused, probably because of all the flourishy things you're doing. Also, I don't really have that much fun performing it, so not one of my favorites, though if you like flourishy production tricks then you'll like this one. 2/10

Angle Zero The Effect The spectator choses a card and everone sees it, the magician can even see it. He then rips off the corner and hands the riped card to the spectator, very very cleanly he then makes the corner vanish from his hands and makes it appear anywhere he wants, no matter what! The spectator can then pick the piece up and see that it matches perfectly to the riped card.

My Thoughts By far my favorite trick on the whole DVD. This actaully beat my best tricks Stigmata and Distortion, now everyone asks me to do Angle Zero. I've performed so many times and people flip!!! My high school's talent show is coming next Friday and I'm planning on performing it with jumbo cards. :D
One time I even made the piece appear on a girl's belt!!!! The girl freaked out!!!!!! Very powerful!!! 10/10

Catch The Effect A card is selected placed back in the deck and then with some flourishy moves you suddenly make 3 cards pop out of the deck, 2 of which are a 2 of a kind(2 aces, 2 kings, 2 jacks, etc) and in the middle, a face down card is the signed, selected card.

My Thoughs Ok by far the worst trick on the DVD! I've performed many times and seriously have gotten no reactions whatsoever, not even a smile or a nodd! :(
Not fun to perform, not fun to watch people react-if they even do and just looks terrible! 1/10

Color The Effect A card is shown and very visably the card changes with no cover and no angle problems.

My Thoughts Ok so this is a variation of the shapshifter that we all know and love. I personally like the shapeshifter better though Color is a really good one to do every now and then. 7/10

Half Vanish The Effect 2 of a kind are shown and placed face down on the table, a card is then selected an signed and place on top of the deck, then with a quick wave of the deck, the card vanishes and the 2 of a kind that was left on the table now has a card in the middle, which is the signed and selected card.

My thoughts This effect is not all that bad. Not many people seem to like it, it's not the best in the world but it's not as bad as some people make it out to be. I use it sometime and get pretty good reactions. I did modify the vanish just a tad just to make it seem a lot more fair. 7/10

Heritage The Effect The deck is shuffled by a spectator and 4 cards are presented saying that the 4 cards are part of a 5 card poker hand but 1 of the cards is missing. The spectator then deals one card at a time, face up, and stops where ever he/she wants, then next, facedown, card is then given to the magician and placed in the middle of the 4 card poker hand which is then found to be the very card he needed to complete the 4 card poker hand. (In the original handling, the Ace of clubs, 2 of clubs, 4 of clubs, and 5 of clubs are the 4 cards and the card that the spectator stopped at was the 3 of clubs)

My Thoughts Alright I love this trick. It seems pretty much impossible to the audience. I've performed it many times and have gotten amazing reactions, I've only been caught once and that was my fault for forgetting how to deal with audience if they are looking too closely at your hands. But overall: 9/10

Lapse The Effect 2 cards are selected by 2 differenty spectators and signed. One of them is placed in the back pocket, the 2nd one is lost within the deck and shuffles. The magician riffles through the deck and they call stop where ever they like and the top cards turns out to be the card that was placed in the back pocket. To the "back pocketed" card that appeared in the deck is set on the table and the back pocketed card is showen to STILL be the same card as the card you just set on the table. The card on the table is then shown to be the 2nd selected card that was lost in the deck.

My thoughts Ok, I actaully really like this trick. It's easy and fun to perform. Only 1 problem I have, I've performed this several times and it seems that people don't realize what is happening. I first thought that I was going to fast and not really explaining everything clearly. So I slowed it down and explained it better but still nothing, they just get confused. Now don't get my wrong, sometimes some people will follow along and understand he freak out, but several times people just get confused. All in all, besides the confusion, I love it! 7/10

Focus The effect A card is shown and instantly changes into another card and the first card that was shown is now in your back pocket.

My Thoughts Not really one of my favorite tricks in the world. It looks great it is angle sensitive and just feels weird to perform for some strange reason. It has gotten some good reactions, I'll just be sitting at my desk practicing and then someone will see me change it, flip out and ask to see it again. 6/10

Role Play The deck is shuffled by a spectator and then they chose card, it can even my signed and places in the deck and lost, like the TV show. :p
The magician then explains that they will switch places, he/she will become the magican and the magician will become the spectator, so he hands him/her the deck and he/she spreads the cards out so the "spectator"(first magician) can pick a card. The real magician then asks what card was chosen and lost in the deck, and turns out that the card the "spectator" (magician) chose was the same card.

My Thoughts Yet another one if my favorites!!! This is pretty much the trick I do when I'm doing something and someone says do a trick real fast. I've performed it too many times now but still love it! 9/10

Breach The effect A card is shown underneath a glass table and instantly goes through the table and is now on top of the table. Then the card is penetrated :p through the table again and goes down through the table where it first began.

My Thoughts This trick looks cool but is hard to do especially when most of the places I'm at don't have glass tables. I don't really perform it all that much. I have a glass table here at my home so when my friends come over to my house, I'll show them Breach, but that's pretty much it. It's ok, but not one of my favorites. 5/10

Last edited by a moderator:

James Wise Magic

Elite Member
Dec 28, 2007
Dangerous Disc 2: Motion

4sybil This is a variation of the Sibil, to produce any 4 of a kind. You can also use this as a 2 card production or just a 1 card production.

My Thoughts This is the flourish that you use to produce the first ace in the trick Aces on disc one. I actaully really like this trick. It's kind of interesting. I'm still working on perfecting it, the only problem I have is closing the packet up to produce the first ace. 7/10

Sleepless This is a nice and easy little flourish that I do all the time. It only involves 3 packets and it has the same set up as 4Sybil. 9/10

Turnover Turnover is a really cool flourish where you split the packet up into the Z cut and move the middle packet ontop of your hand and then throw it back ontop. It's a little hard to do. Daniel said that you would drop lots of cards practicing this, but not really. I have only dropped a few. 9/10

Downfall OK! This is a variation of Turnover. THIS IS HARD TO DO!!!! I love it to death by I drop cards even today. I'm so much better now, but still drop cards frequently. With a lot of practice, you will get it. 10/10

Aries This is probably my least favorite, it's ok but it's just......eh....
4/10

Lethal Ok, pretty much everyone that knows Daniel Madison knows about Lethal unless you live on Planet Epsolon, where ever that is........or if that even exists...... anyway. Lethal is pretty much D+M's signature flourish. It's not that hard it's just a lot to learn, just take your time, like he says, and you'll do fine.

Lethal X Lethal X is a display variation of Lethal. It's like holding up 7 packets at once, it's awesome! But alittle hard to do. 9/10

Guardian It's not really one of my favorite flourishes... it's ok, but eh..... :rolleyes:

Snap.d The funny thing about the one is that I've actaully had my own way to do this for about 2 years. It pretty much as the same handling, just a little different, and I made it myself. Pretty much, Snap.d is a way to shoot the top card of the deck into the air. It's pretty cool looking. 7/10

Mayhem Mayhem isn't too hard it's just ALOT to memorize! Just take your time with it. 8/10

Fly Fly is cool because it's kind of a display and a card production as well. It's a little difficult but is overall easy. 8/10

Stone D+M says it's very fun to do. I would probably agree but for some strange reason, I can't get it!!! I don't know why, it's not that hard! :mad:

Oh well, I'll keep practicing. But still, 8/10

Symphony Symphony is a little hard to do. The first move is the hardest move, other that, it's easy. 8/10

Cylinder Cylinder is a variation of Symphony, it's pretty much the same thing except using different fingers. 7/10

Bicycle This is probably the easiest flourish on the DVD. I perfected it in the first 20 min of practicing it and as a bonus, the bottom card of the deck stays in place. 8/10

Diabolique Diabolique is a variation of Bicycle, where the whole deck stays in order. The only hard part about it is getting the tempo down to make it flow. 8/10

Twisted Rain This is D+M's favorite flourish on the whole DVD, as well as mine! My favorite and just fun! 11/10 :D

Twisted Rain II This is a variation of Twisted Rain. To tell you the truth, I've only done this only 2 or 3 times because I have no need for it. Twisted Rain II has the exact same handling except instead of spreading the cards out on your arm at the end, you seperate them into 3 seperate packets and then catch them in the air. 0/10 only because I don't need it at all.

Sybil in the Rain I'm still working on it but this uses Sybil(of course) :p
You perform Sybil exept you use your chin in the flourish. One of my favorites. 9/10

Drop Sybil Again, this using the Sybil to where you finish off throwing and catching 2 seperate packets. Pretty cool and fun. 8/10

Sybil Helix To tell you the truth..... I forgot what this was. Sorry.

Final Thoughts All in all, Danerous was deffently worth it! It has helped me greatly and now I finally have some really good flourishes that I can actually do! Daniel's teaching is great; you learn everything you need to know. In all I give it a 9/10. A point off for having not that many good tricks.

D

Deleted member 2755

Awww you copied me. :( Oh well, I'm gonna read this now.:p

-Doug

Nov 18, 2008
CA
Nice review. I got Motion and agree with pretty much what you said. Least favorites: Aries, Gaurdian. My favs are easily TR, Stone(keep working on it!), Sleepless. I also really want to get Lethal down.

Jul 14, 2008

Yes there are no gimmicks, but to make the piece appear 'anywhere' takes some set up, I couldnt walk up to you now and ask you to perform it, unless you were 'Ready'. I'm not trying to cause an arguement, I'm just pointing it out.

CHeers, Tom

I agreed with this quote above. There is a setup which I am not going to expose in here. You must be ready to perform this trick.

D

Deleted member 2755

Yes there are no gimmicks, but to make the piece appear 'anywhere' takes some set up, I couldnt walk up to you now and ask you to perform it, unless you were 'Ready'. I'm not trying to cause an arguement, I'm just pointing it out.

CHeers, Tom

Don't spread information that isn't true.;)

People have different definitions of impromptu. Consider an effect such as the Haunted Pack. As long as you have a loop on you, then the effect is impromptu... as in anytime anywhere. Some don't consider it impromptu because it requires you to have a loop on. There are different views. So let's not spread information that is meant to be viewed as an opinion as fact. :)

Anyway, Angle Zero does have a set up. I disagree with your review on that.

-Doug

James Wise Magic

Elite Member
Dec 28, 2007
Don't spread information that isn't true.;)

People have different definitions of impromptu. Consider an effect such as the Haunted Pack. As long as you have a loop on you, then the effect is impromptu... as in anytime anywhere. Some don't consider it impromptu because it requires you to have a loop on. There are different views. So let's not spread information that is meant to be viewed as an opinion as fact. :)

Anyway, Angle Zero does have a set up. I disagree with your review on that.

-Doug

Agreed. Word count.

Jan 30, 2009
Impromptu is supposed to mean you aren't "prepared" for the trick. This definition has been stretched to include cetain gimmicks people can wear/carry, but that is a grey area. Angle Zero does require preperation, and to really sell the trick it should be fully set up. You could walk around ready, but the ending will be weaker.

Impromptu is supposed to mean you aren't "prepared" for the trick. This definition has been stretched to include cetain gimmicks people can wear/carry, but that is a grey area. Angle Zero does require preperation, and to really sell the trick it should be fully set up. You could walk around ready, but the ending will be weaker.

In his PDF, Madison does a Tagged Style thing, he makes the corner appear on his necklace. So I suppose if you were wearing the necklace, you could so it anytime any where.

Cheers, Tom

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results