David Stone: Real Secrets Of Magic Volume 1

Product Information
Click here to view the Product Page at Ellusionist.com//Trailer and all FAQ information
Price: $34.95

Film//Theory, Effects, And More
You see once you purchase this DVD there is 4 sections, Film, Selection, Explication, Bonus. In the Film section is where David goes through all of his incredibly valuable tips on Table-Hopping and Cocktail Party Magic as well as performances of every effect taught on the DVD.
The main staple of the advice he gives you is not about performing the effects themselves but, how you present them, yourself, and your magic. Listen carefully since his accent is so thick not even a Bicycle Master card could cut through it. All the tips, are without a doubt from experiences he himself has encountered so they are 100% real world applicable.
Things like, drawing the attention of the "Group Leader" will get you into the so-called social bubble of the table, and if you impress him/her you impress everyone. Also, on how to position yourself for maximum presentation, and so not to show off any angles to other tables who you have yet to perform for.
He performs all the effects on the DVD not in live situations but, his friends who are acting in the movie. So, if you see the same person being called 4 different names it's because it isn't a real world situation. One thing I know I will take to heart is David talking about the effects you should perform and the criteria behind them like; No more than 2 minutes in length, Try to avoid placing your props on the table, Use angle-proof effects, Make them your most powerful and visual and easiest to follow for your audience. I won't dive deeper into the matter because you need to see it for yourself.
I have watched this DVD at least 4 times now, and everytime I learn more and more. Take what David says as nothing but, the best information you can get. He is world renowned and it is tips like this that can one day bring you into the spotlight in the world of magic. That is how effective his techniques are.

Explication
That is how it's spelt on the DVD homescreen don't say I spelt it wrong. I will copy and paste all of the descriptions of the effects straight from the Ellusionist FAQ. Which can be found at the top of the Page:
Ellusionist Product Page: Posted by "Ryan Ruple" said:
Hermes:
The magician walks up to a table and briefly waves his hand over a candle, causing a burst of flames. He proceeds to do it again but this time produces a rose from the flames. Then he splits the rose into another one, causing him to now have two roses which he give to ladies.
Very very very amazing. I can definatly see myself using this as a strong opener!

One Coin Routine:
A nice flurry sequence causing the coin to vanish then reappear in impossible conditions. The single coin then transforms into a jumbo coin in the end.
This a great flurry if you have never used one before. I won't use the exact one, but some of the moves are just too good to pass up. Great routine!

Hallucination:
Talk about magic! The magician enters with a card box, yet pulls out a rope. Small joke. :)
He states that he will cut the rope using his fingers (which are your two fingers to make a scissor shape), and actually cuts the rope. You then have a rope and two ends. You go through this amazing sequence of putting the ends on, vanishing the ends, the cut rope even becomes a full circle when you take off the ends! You then place the ends into someones pocket, who will cover the pocket with their hand, but it happens too fast. The ends jump back on the rope, giving you a normal rope.
Insane! You have to see this to believe it.

Ghost:
One of my favorites. A spectator chooses a card, say the King of Diamonds, and puts it back into the deck. You state that you just caused it to come back to the top. As you turn over the card, it isn't there's. You put it down and snap your fingers, saying that you forgot to do that, as it's changed into their card. You then place their King back in the deck, place your hand over the deck, and open your hands showing the entire deck has vanished with the exception of four cards. The four Kings. One of the best things on this DVD. Just....wow.

Watch Out:
You show three coins, place them into your hand, then place your hand over the spectator's. One coin jumps across, you then do it one more time showing another one travels. You try to do it again, but no luck. You ask them to turn over their hand, and the third coin is actually trapped underneath their watch! Fantastic reveal of the third coin! I have linked the ending of this routine with Apollo's Trapeze Trio. David's travel methods are basic, but nothing compares to the killer ending! You never even go near their hand, except to put your's over theirs.

Bonneteau + Hierling:
David links these into a routine, however you can use them seperately. You go on to do a 3 Card Monte game, to show how not to lose money. You give a practice round, but then the spectator is wrong every other time. After that, you do the magician version using a deck. You take the three cards (Two reds and a black Queen), and one card goes face down. You then do it again, and cause one of the reds to turn into the Queen. Then all three cards become red, the Queen now becoming a Queen of Diamonds. Then you put the Queen away, showing how there is no way they could win. However, you snap your fingers and the Queen comes back as the original black Queen. He even has a nice flourish for revealing this.
Very nice to say the least. If you have a gambler's routine, then you will definatly want to put this in there. It's crazy, you'll love it!

ATM:
The BEST way to go into a bill routine. You tear off the corner of a napkin (Restaurant), and place it into the candle. As soon as it ignites you throw into your left hand, but when the flame goes away you see a crumpled up dollar bill.
Like I said, the best way to enter a bill routine. I loved it.

Flash Card:
You will never see this one coming! You try to make someone a magician by giving them a job. Their job is to raise their hand up, palm facing you; heel on the table, and slam it down when you count to three. The choose a card, remember it, it's put back in the deck. After a few practice rounds you move onto the real thing. You go into a riffle shuffle (while counting) and when you count to three, one card flies out of the deck causing the spectator to catch their card.
This is one that nobody will expect. It just seems impossible, and that's why it's one of my favorites.

Crossed:
It's a Do As I Do routine. You put your hands into an uncomfortable position, and the spectators do as well. Their job is to turn to the right, which is impossible. However your able to do it. The only effect on this DVD that I didn't like. There's really nothing for me on it.

Cig Clean:
You simply vanish a cigarette, yet you show every aspect of your hand. EVERYTHING! It isn't there. You put your hands out in the air, as if you were holding the cigarette, when it reappears in the blink of an eye. It looks like trick photography! I love this one. It's so quick, so unreal, and you'll definatly use it. I broke the pattern of "so". :)

Cards:
This is so fun to watch! The magician produces a fan of cards, David produces it from inside the spectators jacket. You then pull out a fan of cards from the original fan. Then there is a great manipulation routine. You proceed to vanish fans, produce fans, vanish half the deck, produce another fan, then finally vanish the deck all together. However you point to your mouth, and pull out the cards from your mouth! Even better than it sounds! Pure magic. Something I can't wait to use.

Voile Rouge:
A card is chosen and lost in the deck. With a wave of your hand the deck changes from red to blue, except for one card. You turn it over showing it's their card. It goes into your breast pocket as another card is chosen (Say 3 of Diamonds). You try to do the same thing but it doesn't work. You point out that there is one indifferent card, the original card. However it's now the 3 of Diamonds! Fantastic routine! One that you'll truly enjoy.

Traveler:
An Invisible Palm routine using the four Kings, with very different techniques. However when you place down the last card, you show that's it's not in deck, nor are the cards longer Kings, as you show they've become the four Aces.
I can't get enough of this one. Just a blast to even practice.

Sponge:
This a nice routine of producing two spongeballs, placing one in each hand, and then the second one joins the first leaving two in your hand. You end with doing the same thing but with a spectator's hand. A great routine, but the strength is in the productions and vanishes. The vanishes are clean and totally impossible, and his productions are something else. You take a little bit of nothing, rub it together with your fingers, as it inflates into a full-sized spongeball. Amazing.

Continued.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Ellusionist Product Page by: "Ryan Ruple" said:
Flash Deck + Snowball:

Again something he routines together, but something you can use seperately. Flash Deck is the BEST way to get a deck of cards. The magician waves his hand over the candle (or lighter) and there is a sudden burst of flames. The magicians grabs the flames, and as he does so a deck of cards appears from the flame. Wow!
In Snowball, a card is selected and lost in the deck. You then say your going to cut to their card, yet you cut to an Ace, which isn't their card. You do this again and again, actually cutting to the four Aces. You then cut to their card in the end. This is a great way to go into an Ace routine. A great routine!

Napkin:
The magician borrows a straw, which he explains will be for later. You take a napkin (the kind that silverware is wrapped around at a restaurant), and cut it in half. You take the two napkins, roll the together, blow on them, and then as you pull the pieces apart the have actually fused back together. It happens so fast. You then take the straw and place into what looks like the napkin, but you pull the napkin back producing a full glass of drink.
Absolutly mind blowing! I love this and just cannot wait to use it.

Bite Me:
This is THE reason I bought this DVD. However there turned out to be so much more than this. You produce a coin then take out a silk. You place the coin into the silk, and show that it has vanished from the silk completely. You try to produce it at your elbow, no luck, so you try to other elbow. Success, that's where it was. You then draw back the silk producing a bottle of wine!

Overall:

9.9/10 (Probably the BEST DVD I own!)

--Ryan

Now, the teaching on this DVD is done with a snow-white backdrop. Which in reality is bed sheets, which I'll get to later, and is shot in 4 different camera angles. One above David, 2 to the side, and 1 below the glass table in which he works on throughout the explanations. There is no talking which to some people is a relief. The teaching is still excellent and very easy to follow. Though, some effects need a couple rewinds, like the Card Manipulation.

Here is my take on every effect, in order as posted from the Quote from the Ellusionist Product Page:

Hermes: This effect is very simple. All you need is 2 small pieces of Flash Paper and 2 Roses. Looking at it in the video it looks extremely difficult and in reality it is not. It is not a street effect by any means but, is 100% suited for a restaurant. Keep your audience in front of you at all times, that's basically the only tips I have. A great "flashy" opener.

One Coin Routine: This may be hard for beginner coin workers. I know I'm still practicing and getting the technique down to my liking. You will have to work for numerous hours in front of the mirror. It is not that difficult and once you get this, all of the other effects use basically the same principles. And yes, it can look just as good as David performs it.

Hallucination: Well, I have not had the chance to practice this yet, since ropes is not really my "forte". Watching the explanation is a little difficult for me because I don't understand basic rope mechanics but, it looks like pure magic. If you invest the necessary time into it you won't be disappointed.

Ghost: Or, the Impromptu Panic. Requires minor Deck stacking but, is simple in the sleights which are utilized. The effect is simple in it's mechanics and really bases on Mis-Direction. I perform this a fair bit, to fool people who "think" they know what's coming. It's a great effect, and works awesome in any setting even on the street.

Watch Out: You may think it looks devilishly hard but, it is not. Once again to get it down smooth is the most difficult part of the effect. It uses simple coin sleights which I picked up easily enough. I don't perform it at all really, since it is gutsy to place something under someones watch. I will recommend this though since it is suitable in any situation.

Bonneteau+Hierling: This is one "duel" effect which I don't particularly like. If your a packet effect kind of magician then I'm sure you'll love this. I understand all the necessary sleights I just don't like the effect for some reason. You may like it, you may not, it is suitable for the street if you have a stand or table of some-sorts, and do minimal pre-stacking.

ATM: Simplicity at it's finest. You can perform this the second after you learn it, it is so simple. I love it, plain and simple.

Flash Card: This is a rather gutsy effect which looks good when done properly and looks bad when done wrong. You need to practice this one, to get all the necessary finger positions and such. This is one instance where talking or text would help but, you get what your given. Try it, if it doesn't work for you then that's alright not really my favorite effect on the DVD.

Crossed: Yeah, it's rather simple and should not be on this DVD. I understand they're going for variety but, I just do not like this. Stick to the simple Arm Twisting illusion.

Cig Clean: I have not practiced, nor attempted to practice this effect simply because I have no cigarette's in my house. It looks like pure magic though and is not the hardest effect in the world. If this is your type of magic then you will love it. Visual to the fullest extent.

Cards: I need to practice this more. It is so fun to watch yourself do this in the mirror, I can't even begin to explain. It teaches you the basics of making cards appear from thin air, over, and over, and over again. Invest the time into this, even if you don't like the angles and find it "un-realistic" boy is it fun to perform.

Voile Rouge: I'm not going to go into much detail since it is a more complex confusing version of "The world's greatest card trick." I don't use it at all and find no need to. If you know WGCT then stick with that, it's simpler and packs the same punch at the end.

Traveler: I.Love.This.Effect. I really do, it's a simple version on the Invisble Palm with a killer ending. Using it to switch out 4 Kings for the 4 Aces, it is great for building your routine around, I know I did. For sure, check this one out.

Sponge: I've really neglected Spongeball magic, and I have a few on the way so, I haven't actually looked at this at all. Just take it for what it looks like, a simple Sponge Ball Routine, nothing new or revolutionary.

FlashDeck+ Snowball: Flashdeck is just as easy, visual and appealing as ATM. Want a great flashy way to get your cards out? Say no more. As for Snowball it takes WAY TO MUCH DECK STACKING for a mediocre effect. Don't invest much time into, that's my opinion.

Napkin: One of the reasons I bought the DVD. Such a clever idea, and everything is 100% perfect for a restaurant setting. This is what magic looks like in my mind, restoring the napkin is harding then making a full glass of juice appear. B-r-i-l-l-i-a-n-t.

Bite Me: No please don't, I just bad. All jokes aside this is another one of those pure magic moment effects. You may need to purchase and extra something for this, unless you compromise and find a way around it but, besides that ah, so simple, and amazing. This and Napkin are some of the best restaurant tricks you will find. I know once I get a gig this is going straight into it as my ending kicker. No doubts in my mind.

Bonus//Making Of..., The Short Secrets
I just watched the Bonus features before posting this, since I never really thought of gazing upon them. Boy, are they great. The Short Secrets won the award for the AOI best short magic film, and is basically humorous clips from the film taken, and re-edited into a very condensed short form of the movie. Check it out, it's worth the couple minutes of your life.

Making Of is also a great watch, it shows you behind the scenes of how this came about. As well as the inspiration for numerous gag scenes, like the head-butt scene. Not to mention all the special effects, and camera work. Lee Asher is even mentioned in it so, you now of course have to check it out.

Overall
Probably the best magic DVD I own, along with Volume 2 of course. David is a pure, fun, entertaining, and talented performer. These tips are so valuable this DVD could easily be more than what it's worth. David has taken some of the greatest, most visual, and simple sleights and made them into modern day magic gold. If you are serious about magic, as a career, or just to make some money for the short-term in restaurants, look no further.

Hands down one of the best things on the market today.

If you have any other questions and/or concerns either PM me, or reply in this topic so myself and others will be able to lend you a helping hand.

-RA69

E

elliotcarver

Hi, very good review I love this DVD.
I have all his DVD's and have a review about The Real Secrets Of Magic Vol 2 wich can make a nice addition to yours. I will post it in the review section.

Elliot Carver

E

elliotcarver

I realised there already was a review on that, never mind then.

Oct 12, 2007
Orlando Fl
This is exactly what I needed, thanks (maybe you made this because you knew I needed it, then thanks again). DO you like the Sponge ball routine, because if it's not that good, then maybe I shouldn't buy some sponge balls with the DVD?

This is exactly what I needed, thanks (maybe you made this because you knew I needed it, then thanks again). DO you like the Sponge ball routine, because if it's not that good, then maybe I shouldn't buy some sponge balls with the DVD?

Yes, I saw all of your questions and thought it would be beneficial for everyone as well.

The routine is basic, and won't be that hard to master. I'm going by memory so, just pick some up regardless because they are a magic prop which you will use in the future. You cant go wrong, since they're also quite cheap.

-RA69

Oct 12, 2007
Orlando Fl
Thanks a whole lot, bro.

Update: Just got mine yesterday, great buy, I love the spongeball routine I have no spongeball magfic history and I think I can do it pretty good now, in general great DVD, don't like some of the tricks (snowball and that's about it), but it's pretty good. I have question I'll PM you RA 69

Last edited by a moderator:
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results