Deep 3 by Bro Gilbert - The emotional card trick

Aug 31, 2007
Hartford, CT
Hi everyone.

I'd like to review the new trick by Bro Gilbert, the man who worked with Paul Harris on "True Astonishment".

The name of it is "Deep 3".

--The Effect:

There are several ways of doing "Deep 3" but the main effect is to fan through a deck of cards, showing two special jokers in the deck that someone close to you has given you. You show the backs of the cards to illustrate that they are originally not part of the deck, but you carry them around for luck and sentimental reasons. You then mention how special this person was or is in your life, and ask the spectator to remember someone just as special in their past. The spectator mentions a name as you cut the cards.

You then find the jokers and hand them to the spectator. You talk a bit about how there is always someone special in your life that creates some kind of magic. Then you ask the spectator to look at the back of the joker.

The initials of the person they were thinking of has appeared on the backs.

--The Reaction:

Do not underestimate the effect this has on people. It is powerful. You have brought a memory back to the spectator: A memory very pleasant, very emotional and almost forgotten, and thrown it back into their minds in full force, materializing it in two cards.

The reactions I've gotten ranged from stunned silence to crying. Always with a smile on the spectator's face. This is what magic should be: it isn't about the gaffs, it isn't about the sleight of hand, it's the spectator. You have dug into their past, drawn up something very personal and very pleasant and made them feel it.

--Difficulty/Gaffs/Sleights

It isn't difficult. You can be a beginner and still perform this trick easily. And yes, this obviously need a gaff to perform, but it's actually a gaff that we are all pretty familiar with. If you are a beginner, Bro will teach you how to use this kind of gaff.

The sleight needed in this trick is also very easy and covered completely. Beginner to old hat will have no problem performing the mechanics of this trick.

The real secret, and the major reason why I recommend this for beginners, is that this trick relies heavily on how you to talk to your audience. It's a trick that forces the performer to make the trick about the audience, not about you. It's an excellent exercise in learning patter if you can't patter well and the basic patter is there for you.

--Teaching

Bro Gilbert is great. He's funny and you can see he's full of ideas. He completely teaches this trick fully, with easy to understand and follow instructions. I also love the fact that the DVD pokes fun at the "mysterious style" that a lot of instructional magic videos do nowadays.

Bottom line here is that Bro is an excellent teacher.

--Versatility

This trick is simple, and there are several variations to it. Also, there's a bonus trick that is included in the DVD but isn't advertised at all.

The trick and variations can be used as an out as well. Just carry the deck with you and you are ready.

Personally, I've built a routine that includes using three sandwich tricks (two from Aaron Fisher's "Search and Destroy" - which you should pick up without question, by the way), and ending with Deep 3. I've performed this routine a few times now. I can see variations of this trick that are taught on the DVD being used in other routines.

This effect is very versatile, very open to your style. And the whole thing is that your spectator will be emotionally moved by what you have done with them.

--How much/What you get/Where to buy.

The price is $34.95. With that you get the instructional video and a deck. I've written to Paul Harris' website and they considering to also sell just the deck in the future.

At Penguin Magic:
http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=1940

At Paul Harris' website:
http://paulharrispresents.webs.com/apps/webstore/products/show/594524

--Summary:

Some people may feel that this is a little pricey, but in my humble opinion, this is well worth the price. You get an excellent trick that can easily fit into a routine or stand alone, or even used as an out. On top of that, this one deck opens you up to several different effects.

I highly recommend this trick. Do not pass this by. The emotion that you will invoke in your audience is worth the price alone.

I am sure that a lot of you will be using this trick long after you've purchased it. I do not see this one collecting dust on your self. You will use this. A lot.

Thank you for your attention.

Jun 22, 2009
I will be looking into this trick and seeing how powerful it is.

Thanks for the review you have sparked my interest.

Jv

Jan 11, 2008
Thanks for the review, very great.

I've been looking at this effect for some time now and you help spark my interest in it.

Thank you,

V.

May 1, 2009
UK
Bro Gibert Deep 3

I like the emotional hook to Deep 3 but the only problem i have with it it's only a one effect deck. If i see this on a sale in the future I'll pick it up, but for now I'll stick with Paul Harris Deep Astonishment 2 as this has the same emotional hook. But grate review

Oct 23, 2007
i highly reccomend Deep 3. u can use for anything, think of 2 alphabets, think of ur first love, 4 different people naming different alphabets, book tests, anything u can do with the first 2 deep astonishment decks, im pretty sure u can do it with Deep 3 as well. i carry it with me everywhere i go, even church. heck i did a book test with a bible effect with deep 3, and the priest demanded i go for confession.

go get this now.

Jan 1, 2010
No Big deal if it is a 1 trick pony.
Come up with a presentation to bring it out and then put it away!
Just like you might do with a packet trick.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results