Antonio Diavolo

Elite Member
Jan 2, 2016
California
I can honestly say that I don't think I've done a public show yet where I didn't have someone ask me where I learned my powers. This is despite never once claiming to have any powers at all. No one has accused me of demons, though. Which is slightly disappointing, kind of.
I've never gotten this myself, but I've seen plenty of magic videos on YouTube have people (mostly children) saying things along the lines of "I wish I had your magic!". I usually respond with some encouragement saying that it's not real magic and with enough practice and dedication, they could be that good too.

Also, why do you want people to accuse you of using demons? haha. :)

Sep 12, 2017
Boulder, Colorado
Hello everyone! I was wondering what you all think of the people (like Xendrius on YouTube or actual people you've met) who think magic acts are performed through the use of demonic entities? Would you correct them? Or would you take it as a compliment?

I personally can kinda see it as both. Some of these people I've seen through the internet are harmless and are simply "exposing" the supposed supernatural forces behind the trick. This can be good as it means the trick is so well performed that it looks like real magic. Also, it misdirects them and the people who agree with them from figuring out the real trick.

However, the comments have the occasional person who says something like "these warlocks must be burned!" or "If someone ever performs these blasphemies in front of me, I will spit in their face and say a prayer to burn the demon out from them". These aren't exact quotes but sort of paraphrased versions of actual comments I've seen under various magician and a few demon magician videos. Although, I can't stand more than a few minutes of the stupidity in those demon magician videos.

So basically, what's general of these people? Should anything be done to basically say "hey these aren't demons. It's entertainment. Chill out" or should we let them believe what they want?

PS: I am in no way against Christianity or any religion so in case someone misinterprets what I'm trying to say, I'd like to prevent the responses from becoming a religious debate.

Also, If anyone has any stories of legitimately being "called out" for being satanic and the person didn't mean it as a joke, I'd love to hear them. I kinda get a kick out of them as long as the person isn't seriously hurt like Wayne Houchin was.

I typed in the search box "Christians" and this is one of the threads that came up...I read it and liked it, and would like to ask a sincere question. In regards to being a Christian, which I am, do any of you guys here at theory11 think that using cards in cardistry and simple card movements taught by Jason England, which I am learning from right now, and really enjoying, should Not be used by Christians or Preachers, which I am? There is such a weird fine line, I guess. I really like the feel of theory11 and their stuff. Anyways, thank you and God bless you guys! -John. (also, I came to theory11 through Peter McKinnon.)

Reactions: Antonio Diavolo
Jan 14, 2017
I believe the performance of 'magic' (Prestidigitation), like any other theatric presentation, cannot be considered inherently DEMONIC or evil. Of course, I also find it absolutely despicable when charlatans use the principles we (as magicians) know and understand to take money from vulnerable/gullible people purporting to "speak to dead relatives" or "see into the future".

@JohnC11458 you know that what is in a persons heart is of most grave significance. I see practicing card sleights (as a great example) is no different than isometric exercises with the hands. You are improving dexterity and muscle control and may have an opportunity to brighten someone's day if you show them 'an amazing effect'. It would be a violation of your morals (as a preacher and as a Christian) if you led that person to believe your skills represented some DIVINE power you possess.

Reactions: JohnC11458

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Honestly I think the only thing I need to say in response to that question, @JohnC11458, is this: http://www.fcm.org/

But I also do personally know a Youth Minister in CA who uses magic tricks as sort of illustrations to his sermons sometimes. And he used to perform pretty regularly as well, though now his time is mostly taken up by his film career.

As @ParkinT said - If you're not claiming you have divine powers, there's nothing wrong with performing magic even if you are Christian. It's a skill that we can develop, there's nothing supernatural about it.

Reactions: JohnC11458
Sep 12, 2017
Boulder, Colorado
I believe the performance of 'magic' (Prestidigitation), like any other theatric presentation, cannot be considered inherently DEMONIC or evil. Of course, I also find it absolutely despicable when charlatans use the principles we (as magicians) know and understand to take money from vulnerable/gullible people purporting to "speak to dead relatives" or "see into the future".

@JohnC11458 you know that what is in a persons heart is of most grave significance. I see practicing card sleights (as a great example) is no different than isometric exercises with the hands. You are improving dexterity and muscle control and may have an opportunity to brighten someone's day if you show them 'an amazing effect'. It would be a violation of your morals (as a preacher and as a Christian) if you led that person to believe your skills represented some DIVINE power you possess.

Thank you...actually that is how I really feel. Thank you sir! Plus at my age, 64 in a few weeks, dexterity and muscle control is important to me. Blessings...

Sep 12, 2017
Boulder, Colorado
Honestly I think the only thing I need to say in response to that question, @JohnC11458, is this: http://www.fcm.org/

But I also do personally know a Youth Minister in CA who uses magic tricks as sort of illustrations to his sermons sometimes. And he used to perform pretty regularly as well, though now his time is mostly taken up by his film career.

As @ParkinT said - If you're not claiming you have divine powers, there's nothing wrong with performing magic even if you are Christian. It's a skill that we can develop, there's nothing supernatural about it.

Thank you sir! I bookmarked that website and thought it was pretty cool! Using cardistry that I've learned here on theory11 has actually helped me attract more attention and more opportunity to witness for Jesus. Thank you again for your reply! Blessings...

Aug 15, 2017
Hmm...
If a person calls me a demon, I would first take it as a sort of compliment because it would mean that my magic was so amazing, it made them think I am a demon!
However, I think it kinda demeans the hoirs and days and months of practice we magicians put in the sleights.
Many of he accussers actually just want the secrets of some amazing effects thrown at them for free and so they try to incense us to do the same, I feel.
If someone tells me am a demon, like, seriously...I would ignore it, as I am sure 99% of the remaining audience would do as well.
So as to speak...

But really, how naive can people be...with all the internet and technology and decent or jndecent exposure and the likes of Jibrizy...how can a person still believe we are demons?
There is a great reacting video about this by Chris Ramsay...should check it out guys! :)
Honestly,when I started magic, all of Dynamo's tricks looked like real magic to me. Not so much nlw. And they will be even less 'real magic'-al to me years from now (not that that makes him any less of the amazing performer he is). As I said, these people probably just want the secrets and how-to's.

Btw...isn't this sort of accusation insults the demons more than magicians? I mean I get amazing demonic powers and go and do a card trick? Lol. The real demons out there must feel sooo insulted!

Aug 15, 2017
It would be okay I guess to correct them if it bothers you.
The magic that the Bible and the Quran talks about being demonic and jinn-like is the magic which harms people and is black, although I think those so-called black magicians just did the sleights we do and classified them as magic. And people were too afraid to contradict them.

Cool thing is, I don't really need to worry about being called a demon or a jinn since my religion has never really classified magic as bad and insulting to the God (I doubt other religions do it tho, must be just an invention of people like Xendrius).
Hindu scriptures, personally speaking, don't classify anyone as witches and wizards and demons. So...yay!

Sep 12, 2017
Boulder, Colorado
Hmm...
If a person calls me a demon, I would first take it as a sort of compliment because it would mean that my magic was so amazing, it made them think I am a demon!
However, I think it kinda demeans the hoirs and days and months of practice we magicians put in the sleights.
Many of he accussers actually just want the secrets of some amazing effects thrown at them for free and so they try to incense us to do the same, I feel.
If someone tells me am a demon, like, seriously...I would ignore it, as I am sure 99% of the remaining audience would do as well.
So as to speak...

But really, how naive can people be...with all the internet and technology and decent or jndecent exposure and the likes of Jibrizy...how can a person still believe we are demons?
There is a great reacting video about this by Chris Ramsay...should check it out guys! :)
Honestly,when I started magic, all of Dynamo's tricks looked like real magic to me. Not so much nlw. And they will be even less 'real magic'-al to me years from now (not that that makes him any less of the amazing performer he is). As I said, these people probably just want the secrets and how-to's.

Btw...isn't this sort of accusation insults the demons more than magicians? I mean I get amazing demonic powers and go and do a card trick? Lol. The real demons out there must feel sooo insulted!

Yea, Chris Ramsay...I thought that name sounded familiar...I looked him and oh yea, he's friends with Peter McKinnon and from Peter's youtube channel, I watched some of Chris's stuff...he's interesting! Along with learning cardistry, also trying to learn photography, that's why Peter's stuff. Have a great night...

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results