derren brown

Aug 31, 2007
Hartford, CT
Derren Brown = Trick or Treat = Mind Control = Tricks of the Mind = Devil's Picturebook = Pure Effect = Absolute Magic....

There's more but it's late... :)

Deryn

Elite Member
Sep 4, 2007
Tampa Bay, FL
www.instagram.com
I love Derren. He's genuinely a great guy and a great performer. He use to use his middle initial (back when he was a card man) but has since dropped the "L" and goes by Derren Brown. His picture book series is great by the way.

signature.png

Aug 31, 2007
Long Island/New York
I saw him on tv once. He does some pretty cool stuff. Does his books really teach you how to mess with someones mind? Can you really use mind tricks to do amazing stuff?

Deryn

Elite Member
Sep 4, 2007
Tampa Bay, FL
www.instagram.com
I saw him on tv once. He does some pretty cool stuff. Does his books really teach you how to mess with someones mind? Can you really use mind tricks to do amazing stuff?

This is a great question. His books teach a some effects that he's used for years. They're very powerful and for the most part a reputation maker. Granted his books don't teach EVERYTHING he does but it does give you insight on how he thinks.

Also, his effects are in actuality normal 'tricks' but presented on a higher scale with psychology as the patter. Brilliant stuff.. his power of suggestion is impeccable

signature.png

He has recently released a book called "Tricks Of The Mind". This book is incredible.

I wrote a review on Penguin.

I happen to love Derren Browns work; the intriguing thought provoking TV shows/specials, to the eccentric, stunning and amazing live shows he performs. I also liked Pure Effect alot, so I naturally had to buy this when I heard about it.

Derren Brown's amazing television and stage performances have entranced and amazed millions. His baffling tricks and stunning illusions have set new standards of what's possible, as well as causing controversy. Now, for the first time, he reveals the secrets behind his craft. He delves into the structure and pyschology of magic. He tells you how to read clues in people's behaviour and spot liars. He discusses the whys and wherefores of hypnosis (which he says doesn't exist) and shows how to use the powers of suggestion and massively improve the power of your memory. He also investigates the paranormal industry, exposes a few charlatans and looks at why some of us feel the need to believe in it in the first place... Woven into this are autobiographical stories about Derren's own experiences and beliefs, told with characteristic humour and engaging honesty. This extraordinary book lifts the lid on the deepest darkest secrets of magic and explores the limits of what can be achieved by the human mind. A must for Derren's legions of fans, it will amaze you, entertain you and expand your mind at the same time...

From being a completely sarcastic individual, and having an incredibly dry sense of humour, I got straight into the witty and sadistic, yet totally unique style of writing that Derren has. For many teenagers who are not great with long adult, this will be a boring read. Sometimes it is hard to get your head round certain parts of it. But for others, it is an incredible read.

CHAPTER 1: Disillusionment

An interesting insight into Derren's thoughts on religion. He describes his childhood and being brought up as a Christian, and how his beliefs twisted and changed throughout the years.

It is highly interesting to see his response to many beliefs, and how open he is about different aspecs of religion. I, being a Christian myself, could relate to certain points in this, but could not with others. A very thought provoking chapter, however slightly long-winded.

If you are part of a youth group, or christian society, and have been warned not to read this book, then I reccomend that if you do buy this, you skip this section. It is not offensive, but it can make you question alot about your religion. If you have been warned, then you have been for good reason.

CHAPTER 2: Magic

Probably the chapter that would most interest people on these forums. Derren starts off by teaching you a basic coin move, in short, sliding a coin off a table whilst pretending to keep it in your fist. He gives details, and then teaches you how to make it more plausible.

He then takes you through processes to make this trick better; adding in a fake switch, implanting false memories into your spectators minds. This is a great metaphor for there being a simple trick, performed to the minimum, but if you put your mind to it, it can be amazing.

It is very interesting, as some of the prinicbles he uses in this can be set in other routines. He describes other ways of using these techniques to your advantage.

After this, he teaches you a card trick. This is, in essence, the glimpse, and how to put it to use in a trick. Once again, he teaches you how to put it into an amazing performance peice, rather than a quick crappy trick.

He talks about other magic experiences, and thoughts on how magic is going down hill. I particularly liked the section on a story of how he slipped three cards under peoples drinks for a killer ending to a trick.

Great chapter.

CHAPTER 3: Memory

I was very interested in this, as I didn't quite know what to expect from it. However, at the end, I was so impressed. Derren teaches many techniques to improve memory, remember long lists and numbers. It was incredible. I am now using so many of these techniques. Perfect for people who need to remember things for meetings, speeches, or lines in any plays.

He also teaches ways to memorise a deck in perfect order after being shuffled. It is not easy in any way at all, and will take lots of time and practise. It is very interesting, and if you can use it, then it is killer.

Awesome chapter.

CHAPTER 4: Hypnosis and Suggestibility

Was very suprised. He reveals basically how to hypnotise people. That's it in a nutshell. Teaches you all his techniques on how to hypnotise people.

Very interesting, especially the long sections on NLP. However, not my cup of tea, and so I won't be using many of the techniques.

CHAPTER 5: Unconscious communication

I really liked this. I am very intrested in reading people, and this discussed many signs of how to read people, spot liars, and to really impress members of the opposite sex.

It also teaches you the basics of unconcious communication magic routines, ie. Muscle reading, and pendulum swinging. Also has a rant about Oujia boards.

Highly unusual, but very useful and clever section. Worth a good read.

CHAPTER 6: Anti-science, Pseudo Science and Bad Thinking

I did like the bit on bad thinking. It showed how we are all making the same mistakes, and how we are all so easily mislead. Very funny.

However, alot of the anti-science section was very long-winded. It was intresting to a point, and I suppose for people with an intrest for new-age remedies can fins it worth reading.

The rest of the section is about mediums. Very sarcastic and nearly angry section. Derren really doesn't like them. He teaches you the basics of Cold Reading.

Again, thought-provoking.

CHAPTER 7: Final thoughts

Just finishing the book with a flourish.

MY THOUGHTS

I loved it. A worthwile read that has really changed my view of the world. From my approach to magic, techniques with people, to improving my memory, I was amazed that so much was put into writing.

Again, this book was written for adults. I am nearly 16, and it was tough reading. It takes a while to get your head round some bits, but was totally worth it. I loved the sarcastic, witty, and all round amusing approach to stories.

I do not reccommend this book to 14 and unders. Anyone that has this book will understand. It is not for you. You will most likely not like it.

Again, if you have been warned by religious people not to read this book, it is probably for good reason.

This is an amazing, witty, thought provoking book that will change your way of thinking. Ten outa ten.

He is my hero, and I love him. :) His live show is insane. Go check it out.

Sep 10, 2007
Sacramento, CA
I found a copy of Pure effect on ebay (the cost was a little high) and I was sitting on the edge of my chair reading it. there are so many things I would never think to look for in someone's appearance. the bit about NLP, I've been doing stuff to try to figure out the trick to distinguish lies from truths and whatnot. It's really hard, but absolutely amazing. If any of you get a chance to learn form this book, take it. it's definitely worth your while.

Sep 14, 2007
Derren Brown is one of the few magicians that I can still watch to this day and be FOOLED like a kid every single time. He blows me away, and I don't even WANT to know how he does half of the stuff on that show. Very impressive, and seems to be a very nice guy.

James.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results