Digital Dissolve - Problems and Suggestions

Oct 13, 2008
I know this should be in Product Questions, but this way it ensures more prompt responses and publicity.

I was kind of wondering if you have ever had any problems with the Digital Dissolve effect; these can include things like defective gaffs, things you don't like about the routines, problems in handling, even (especially this part ;)) EPIC fails. Don't be afraid; this way we can all learn and look at what to watch out for when we do the effect ;)

Personally, I'd watch out for:
  • The spectator's hand is too tight
  • The gimmick does what you should do at the right moment far too early
  • This also means slipping off when the coin is on the thumb
  • When you do "The Move" after the change, they see the gimmick for a nanosecond
On the other hand, you can also relate any successes and EPIC WINS in the reactions you got. What was the most memorable experience you had with this trick? In the DVD, for example, the guy with the orange/blue striped tshirt ran up the escalator upon seeing the transposition (we don't see this happen, but we did see the dude when Dan White performed the simple card transpo). That's what I call success. That way, we could distill some of the crucial things that show up in presentation that will kick it up a notch ;)

Maybe pass this onto the Mas- I mean, the artists here at theory11. See what they came up with ;)

SS23

Jun 10, 2008
You little stalker!
The tight spectator’s hand really shouldn’t be a problem. In fact, its better if they hold it tight cuz it makes the effect more impossible. All those other problems can be fixed with practice. Cuz practice “the move” and the entire routine in the mirror and on a video camera over and over until you are able to do it without flash.

Oct 8, 2009
The tight spectator’s hand really shouldn’t be a problem. In fact, its better if they hold it tight cuz it makes the effect more impossible. All those other problems can be fixed with practice. Cuz practice “the move” and the entire routine in the mirror and on a video camera over and over until you are able to do it without flash.

I have the same idea with you. Great! Thanks for sharing. :cool:
Glad to hear you're using this: I plan to keep it much more aggressively up-to-date than has been the case in the past, but don't hesitate to let me know if you find errors or need clarifications.

Mar 26, 2009
Arizona
dd is a great effect and i use my own personal handling. the only prob i ever have is VERY occasionally if i have to much moisture on my hand, when i place the coin on the back of my hand balanced on the thumb, it can get stuck to my fingers when i let go. that happens 1/100 times and after that first time when it happened, i make sure that i dont press down too hard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oh3kIj7TqN4

Last edited by a moderator:
Digital Dissolve Problems and Suggestions

Get the 25 Tricks with a Scoth and Soda DVD. I just got the penny and dime trick the same thing essentially as the Scotch and Soda.

Decent dvd for around 10. The DVD footage is like circa 1985, but decent simple beginners tricks.

Digital Dissolve Problems and Suggestions

Does anyone have suggestions for good digital recorders at a reasonable price? I dont need anything over the top, just something that works well that isnt over my budget. I dont know what the average price for one is, but anything of that price and under will do.

Thanks

Jan 10, 2008
I own DD myself, now I am not sure if my gaffs are defective. Without exposing much, lets just say that I have only performed this trick standing, with the spectators looking straight down at the coins with amazing results. The only time I ever had a problem with this effect was when I tried to perform it at a table, with a spectator looking straight at the coins. The only thing that they noticed was that one of the coins, (in their own words) had a lip on it! I can tell you that from a technique standpoint, I have this trick down. Do you guys think that "the lip" could be caused by a worn out or defective gimmick?

Does anyone have suggestions for good digital recorders at a reasonable price? I dont need anything over the top, just something that works well that isnt over my budget. I dont know what the average price for one is, but anything of that price and under will do.

Thanks

The new Flip video camera.
It's small and records 2 hours before you need to upload.
It has a built-in USB plug so you can connect it directly to your computer.
It is available in standard and HD.
It runs about $150.
The only real down side here is the lack of better zoom capabilities.
It's at 4X I think...

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results