Dive of Death - Afterthoughts and Discussion

Nov 5, 2007
Benicia, CA
I'm not sure why people are so gun shy to call the finale a flop. The stunt was not exciting, particularly when at the end he said he'd become accustomed to it and it had become easy. I felt a bit jipped to learn that it wasn't 60 consecutive hours, due to the medical breaks or whatever they were. Still, it was an impressive feat. Not one I would boast to be easy.

The finale was an utter bust. Sure, the idea was cool. But that doesn't makeup for the failed execution. The whole thing was so far off the mark it was baffling. After staying up so late to watch that, I was incredibly let down. David and crew, you blew it. But that's OK. The finale failed, that sucks, and now I look forward to DB coming up with something absolutely incredible to redeem himself.

As for the rest of the special, I felt the direction and editing was kinda shoddy. The transitions from segment to segment weren’t smooth and the flow of continuity between tricks and storyline wasn’t very well structured. I definitely liked the magic though. While David’s dead pan delivery is a bit goofy, I think his showmanship is absolutely on point. Keeping people’s focus, executing good misdirection, and really selling each trick – David will keep me coming back every time. One thing I’d like to see different with regard to the tricks: show the dang trick. All of them. They were like 50/50 as to whether they showed the trick and then the repeated audience reactions versus filming the audience with the trick almost as a background point of focus.

Stunt – Not very exciting. But nothing to blow off as simple.
Finale – Failed. Interesting concept – bad execution.
Magic – Very cool. Inspiring.
Overall Production – Not great (and I don’t think should be attributed to DB).

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results