Do you think its right of me?

Jun 5, 2008
Oregon
I have been doing or practicing magic for a couple of years. I do not think i am ready to perform to anyone yet. So i just practice until i know i am going to feel good about the trick. I have a buddy of mine who thinks it is cool to learn a trick then go to the bar that night and test it out. Do you think it is right of me to hold on to my magic? i am alright at performing them but no where near how i want to be. Can i get some opinions? Thank you.

I have been doing or practicing magic for a couple of years. I do not think i am ready to perform to anyone yet. So i just practice until i know i am going to feel good about the trick. I have a buddy of mine who thinks it is cool to learn a trick then go to the bar that night and test it out. Do you think it is right of me to hold on to my magic? i am alright at performing them but no where near how i want to be. Can i get some opinions? Thank you.

dude, just get out there and do it. You won't get the experience unless you go out and do it. Who cares if you fail, the important thing that matters is what you learn from your mistake.

Sep 1, 2007
USA
These are Wayne Houchin's tips...as I think that I remember them...

1) practice in front of a mirror so you can see what the spectator sees untill it looks good

2) practice in front of a wall so you don't crash and burn when you can't see your self in a mirror

3) go perform it to real people

I'm pretty sure that's what they are and if not it's pretty darn close...

what I think you need is to not try to over achieve, your tricks probably look ok but the only way to make them better is to go out there and do them

You will be surprised at what you can do :D

With all due respect,

ZG

May 4, 2008
NYC
hey, if u don't feel confident or comfortable performing for people yet, then you should just wait until you master a couple tricks.
I had the same problem too. You should start by performing for a couple of good friends who wont care if you mess up or not. This way, you can feel more confident in your performance thinking that its alright to mess up.
But if you've been practicing magic for a couple years now, i think its time you went out there and experienced what it feels like to perform to different people.
Me, I've only been practicing for a couple months and I've already done a bunch of tricks to people in my school and it feels great to get the reactions you get from doing tricks.
But yeah..just do what feels right to you. Remember, practice helps build confidence.

D

Deleted member 2755

The only way you get get better at performing is to go out there an do it! Practice practice practice. Then perform possibly for your mirror. (Web cams are better in my opinion because you can then actually re-watch yourself do the effect and look at what you want to improve on.) Then... get out and go do something! Perform as much as you can! You will get better and grow as a performer. I promise. :)

-Doug

Nov 28, 2007
D.C. Area
I just practice at home just going through my patter and presentationg to an imaginary person if I don't have a friend at the time. Then once I can get my patter and movements memorized, I go out and perform. But when i perform, the first couple of performance, I sometimes forget what I need to do next in the trick or routine....so I sometimes just blank out.. haha. But after performance after performance I get more comfortable with the trick, and it becomes a lot easier. But yeah true that from the above statements....just go out there and do it and learn from your mistakes.

Apr 18, 2008
Maybe this is just my take on it, but I prefer to have something nailed down tight before I show anyone. If there are gaps or mistakes then it will show up in my first few live performances. I like to feel 100% confident going in for the first run. If it doesn't go as planned then just take it in stride and learn from your mistakes.

I remember when I was only into magic for a little over a year I was dead set on learning Immaculate Connection from the Paul Harris AoA series. It was basically the ONLY thing I worked on for a solid month, or maybe more.

When I showed that to a close group of friends for the first time it came off soooo well. That was the first time I ever had that taste of being right on the money and nailing it. They still talk about it and its still is probably my best single moment I have had.

The funny thing is that I still have a hard time grinding out a trick until I fell really, really sure that it will be totally without a hitch. There are a few that I do that I know will be spot on and those are my old favorites. But those are also the ones I have practiced to death and could do in my sleep.

Basically, I think it boils down to confidence. Its good to be confident but not cocky. Be warm, likable and sure of yourself and it will definitely help you win the audience over.

Just my thoughts...
~ JS ~

Feb 23, 2008
And even still, you don't HAVE to go out. I mean, most would call it a waste of time if you didn't, but I mean, if that's what you enjoy, go for it. I would encourge you just go and perforn, but have fun.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results