Do YOU want to see your creations published?

Jun 10, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
Hey guy's.

As some of you will know, I work for a on-line magic 'zine called www.magicplazza.com.

It is my intention to use this site and the facilities it introduces to me to PUSH FORWARD creative endeavors in the world of magic. From writing to visual design to publishing of performance material, I want to cover it all.

As such, I want to propose an idea to all of you.

If you have an essay on magic, an article concerning anything magic related, or even an original effect or sleight you'd like to see published on a WORLD-WIDE scale, drop me a line.

We will consider essay's on ANY subject relating to magic, from theory, to history, to performance examinations, pretty much anything under the magic umbrella will be considered.

As for effects or sleights/ moves, we will again consider any genre from close-up to stage, mentalism to bizarre, cards to coins, we will consider anything and everything!
If you are unsure of crediting, we can (to a point) help you out with any background research on your 'thing'!

All the links are in my signature and if you need any more info, register with the forum over there and drop me aline there. Same username!

Thanks guy's. Jay, Dee and I look forward to your response.

CL

Jun 10, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
Well, First thoughts of course count, but in reading on, it is quite apparent that I'm not selling anything.
And really, when I want to promote this idea to it's full potential, being discreet would not benefit anybody.

As it stands, I'll stick to my post!

CL

Sep 1, 2007
Well, First thoughts of course count, but in reading on, it is quite apparent that I'm not selling anything.

That's the thing. Everybody loves to buy, bot nobody likes to be sold. Some people won't click on the link to the thread out of mistrust because they will think you're selling something.

I only clicked because I'm a cynic and wanted to see if I was right.

Jun 10, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
You may be right, steerpike, and then I will have to eat my word's.

But, y'know, I've already had a couple responses, and we have some effects from some very special guest contributor's coming up, as well as the effects that our friend Paul Romhany has already started contributing, and the effects and moves Dee an I are giving away, so I think it'll be okay.

The thing is, this project will be for the individual pushing his or her SELF forward, as well as keeping our creative agenda universal. If the individual decides to NOT follow the link, that is his or her prerogative. I welcome it.

But, like I say, I do want his project to take off, so If it doesn't, then I'll devour my words!

CL

Sep 1, 2007
The thing is, this project will be for the individual pushing his or her SELF forward, as well as keeping our creative agenda universal. If the individual decides to NOT follow the link, that is his or her prerogative. I welcome it.

It's that kind of stubborn adherence to a formula that's holding you back.

Jun 10, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
What do you mean by 'holding you back'?

Nothing is holding us back except our other responsibilities (working, writing, filming (in Dee's case))...

If every post you make is going to inch closer and closer to insult, I think we should perhaps just agree to disagree...

CL

Sep 1, 2007
If every post you make is going to inch closer and closer to insult, I think we should perhaps just agree to disagree...

Believe it or not, that wasn't intended as an insult. You being this defensive just proves my point. You're too stuck on the formula you're following now to listen to someone who's trying to help you.

Jun 10, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
No mate, me being this defensive is a response to this thread egtting VERY off topic. If you'd like to talk on this further, feel free to PM me.

This thread was intended to be an advertisement for the promotion of ONE aspect of our site, not a critique on our promotional ability.

I am not after an argument here... I'm sure you understand my position on this on this occasion.

CL

May 19, 2008
manchester
I think its an awsome idea...

you could also, at the end of the magic-zine you could have some basic link things to were you can learn basic sleight of hand, (card collage, modern coin magic, rrtcm)? or is that a silly idea?

Sep 4, 2007
Good idea but i do not think it will work. So many people have "creations" that have been around since vernon and erdnase. Or previously published material, unless you have a magic historian screening every effect being published it is hard to know whether anything is original. I also think that now a days people just want to put things out to be a magic celebrity like wayne houchin and Danny G. There is much less respect for the art of magic lately. I believe that you may be getting a load of crappy effects and sleghts just cause people want something to be published not because it is a good idea. Joshua Jay says that only 2% of the submissions he gets are usable and good. So good luck, you have a lot going against ya.

Jun 10, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
Thanks buddy!

It's not a bad idea, no, not by any stretch of the imagination, but to be honest, if a reader is unsure of any of the sleights we use in the write ups of effects, we have a forum where any issues can be addressed, which everyone is welcome to partake in! Anything else, we kind of just take it as granted that anyone readign a 'zine wil lalready have at least a basic understaniding of sleight of hand!

Thanks for your interest, and feel free to shoot any questions you have either my way, or Dee Christophers!

CL

May 19, 2008
manchester
I know what you mean, BUT (yes theres a but) if your just begining magic (like I am, I mean was lol) then when you first start you think when you search the internet, oh yay, free magic, MUST be good... then when you look at stuff like card collage its like wayyyyy to much for a beginer, so if you had links to lybrary and stuff then thatd be really cool COS the stuff is cheap their.

but thats just my opinion

Jun 10, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
OOPS! I missed that last post.

Sorry!

Anyhoo, I completely agree with you to a degree, It will be hard to ascertain whether EVERYTHING is original, but as all of the major players involved with the 'plazza are bothe experienced AND theory students, we have a good knowledge base for research, and Jay is an absolute encyclopaedia, and We all have VERY good referencing ability. The problems we face are the same problems anybody could face when publishing their material for the marketplace, but with the requisite research, it's an okay bridge to cross.

Thanks for your concerns, they ARE appreciated!

CL

May 19, 2008
manchester
okay, what about THIS then.

lets say you have an episode were you are only doing bizzare, then at the end you could have links to stuff about bizzare, and stuff, because bizzare isnt so mainstreem (sp.), so maybe people reading yo zine (man man) think that they would like do more bizzare, then were so you start (the search feature dammit x)) "Oh, theres some super helpfull things that are at the end of the mag, thats usefull"!. (he he)

what do you think

Jun 10, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
Again, that's wher the forum would come in to play. As it stands (though I know that was just an example) we have Liam Montier working quite closely with us who is a very keen advocator of the bizarre!

Your suggestions are great man, why don't you suggest them to the administrator of the site, Jay Crowe?

CL

May 19, 2008
manchester
lol ummmmmmmmmmm (im trying to think of an exuse), I sneezed on the J-A-Y-C-R-O-W-E key things on the key bourd (sp.) thingy so its absloutly impossible to click on those buttons, cos I tried... and umm it was umm impossible...

lol

well I might, actually.

or what about this... in one article, you could right about the "code" of magicians, and why its there, then you could say the pros and cons of the "code", because lots of people talk about "yadda yadda yadda no no no your not aloud to do that its against the code", so it would be nice to know whats it all about! lol

the end

Jun 10, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
Well, in all the articles that have been written up for the site thus far, we have attacked the subject matter from as many different angles as possible, so...

haha, look mate, Go onto the site, go to the forum and give your suggestions to JC, and drop me a line, you're a funny guy, haha. I'm on the same username over there and I moderate the forum.

CL

May 19, 2008
manchester
you're a funny guy, haha.

CL

thanks for reminding me (very very sarcastic)...

by the way a bit off topic but you (chr!s) live in england right, if you go on channel dave on free view you can see top gear and there was a magician on it like RIGHT now (just a BIT off topic), but it was really funny cos he hipnotised (sp.) the small presenter (Hammond or something) to believe he could drive a car...

in case you were wondering whats on tv right now he he

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results