Doublelift_pirouette

Feb 27, 2008
France
First i want to say that i'm not a big fan of double lifts especially the classicals ones ... maybe because it's too easy or too unoriginal.
So i've decided to start making "undergrounds" ones like throwing double technique or such things but i cannot understand how to spin a double...
Is there's any secrets ways or tips that i probably don't know ... Anyways i need your help.

So if you might helping me it's will be good....

Cheers

Sep 1, 2007
I've found I can spin a double lightly after concaving/convexing it a bit.

I just do the classic pirouhette spin only softer.

Jun 29, 2008
the ginastaire double looks like a pirouette :)
however if you're using old cards i think it will be easier

Mar 29, 2008
I am not looking to start an argument, I just want to understand what your intentions are when you are doing magic and your doubles?

Are you doing them for show or are you doing them to fool?

If you are doing them as part of a magic routine, then the more natural or classical (or what you think is "easy" and "unoriginal") double lifts are disarming and can be geared as a natural moment in the effect. It is my belief, and many other pros, that double lifts are overexposed because of their poor handling, that only novices believe that doubles are easy...when usually they don't understand timing, don't perform good get readys, and they flash all the time.

The DL is NOT as easy to perform and be deceptive as you might think, as the thickness and handling is a tell...don't believe me - get a friend and do doubles and singles for him...then put your money where you mouth is - ask him to tell you which is which - a dollar if he is right, a dollar for you if he is wrong - I PROMISE you will be broke...especially, if you are handling cards in such a flamboyant manner.

If it is for show - and you are into cardistry - then realize that you are completely exposing a DL - as I challenge you to handle a single card in the same manner....even if you could, why would it matter? What are you showing when you do it? Skill.

The concept of strong magic is to hide skill, not display it. If you want to display skill - do flourishes, but stop exposing classic sleights by your poor handling.

Concluding thoughts for you - if you want to be ORIGINAL, try doing the "classic" moves really well - so well that it can withstand scrutiny - because magicians like that are far and few between - where guys like you that want the credit and immidiate feedback for the effort they put in...are a dime a dozen...this site is LITTERED with them.

Like Lisa Simpson said to Bart when he got an ear ring, I will say the same to you doing fancy flourishes and over handled sleights.......

How rebellious! In a conformist sort of way.

Sep 1, 2007
Leicester, UK
www.youtube.com
Morgician I couldn't agree more. The double lift is a very hard move to pull off, it's not a secret move which means people are staring at your hands - I think a key word here is tension.

I'd be interested to see how Morgicians test works out, I may do it with one of my friends just to see how bad my doubles are.

- Sean

P.S. I have to say, if you can do a good pirouette double it's a nice little convincer, but... Why run if you're not being chased?

Feb 27, 2008
France
I am not looking to start an argument, I just want to understand what your intentions are when you are doing magic and your doubles?

Are you doing them for show or are you doing them to fool?

If you are doing them as part of a magic routine, then the more natural or classical (or what you think is "easy" and "unoriginal") double lifts are disarming and can be geared as a natural moment in the effect. It is my belief, and many other pros, that double lifts are overexposed because of their poor handling, that only novices believe that doubles are easy...when usually they don't understand timing, don't perform good get readys, and they flash all the time.

The DL is NOT as easy to perform and be deceptive as you might think, as the thickness and handling is a tell...don't believe me - get a friend and do doubles and singles for him...then put your money where you mouth is - ask him to tell you which is which - a dollar if he is right, a dollar for you if he is wrong - I PROMISE you will be broke...especially, if you are handling cards in such a flamboyant manner.

If it is for show - and you are into cardistry - then realize that you are completely exposing a DL - as I challenge you to handle a single card in the same manner....even if you could, why would it matter? What are you showing when you do it? Skill.

The concept of strong magic is to hide skill, not display it. If you want to display skill - do flourishes, but stop exposing classic sleights by your poor handling.

Concluding thoughts for you - if you want to be ORIGINAL, try doing the "classic" moves really well - so well that it can withstand scrutiny - because magicians like that are far and few between - where guys like you that want the credit and immidiate feedback for the effort they put in...are a dime a dozen...this site is LITTERED with them.

Like Lisa Simpson said to Bart when he got an ear ring, I will say the same to you doing fancy flourishes and over handled sleights.......

How rebellious! In a conformist sort of way.

And what about not being rude? I'm just asking a question to sympathics people and if you have a problem with Flash sleights or moove it's your problem not mine...
And i can't understand how you could judge me (or my handling)? did i ever perform for you ?If think not...Anyways if i've just posted a horibble video while i'm exposing and make horrible moves it's will be justified to say that but here NOT...
Good night or afternoon don'y know...

Ps:I've a very poor english because i'm french so please don't being rude about that.

Mar 29, 2008
I am not being rude, I am being blunt. You forget when you speak, that you are influencing a group of magicians that may believe your words as facts. I have seen this move ruined by your thinking.

I can't judge you on your performance, just on your words and thinking - in which case, I am more than justified to say what I said - again, I wasn't looking for a battle - I just challenged you to think of why you wrote what you wrote. If that makes you angry - good - because it made you pay attention. Take the time to think about what I said, let your emotional reaction subside, and you will see that the lesson in there.

If you agree with Sean - then why would you be so upset at me - because I didn't approach you gingerly? If I hurt your feelings, I am sorry, but I would say - get thickier skin, as I wasn't trying to make you feel bad - just make you question your motive.

I think I was successful in that, and Sean will have a new drinking game with his friends.

Thanks for the support Sean - as always, great to see you in the forum.

Sep 1, 2007
I ALWAYS pirouhette normal cards by habit, so if I could learn to do it as a double(provided I do it well) it wouldn't be that unnatural in my performance.

Feb 27, 2008
France
Thanks to every one.
morgician i'll said you that you've not interpreted my words has i've wrote them in a more clarity view my english is so bad so i can't be very precise and don't worry you haven't make me hangry... And it was a pleasure to talk with you (did i really think tat???? :p ).
Anyways ( i love this word) i think that the base of our discussion is a misunderstanding from you and a bad expresion for me .
So i hope you're not going to be an ennemy arter that

Cheers

Mar 29, 2008
(Original) - no hard feelings man - and to show you that...I used my 200th post on you. Again, just making people think - because posts are not just about one on one, but educating and sharing with those in the community. Glad you brought up the topic.

Sean - you don't drink? How do you not die of dehydration - read...lame joke. Let me know how the game goes.

Eli..........I got nothin.

Feb 27, 2008
France
So for close the conversation morgician i'll said that i love special double because the spectactors can't even think that the card that you've spin throw return etc... is a double...but i agree with you when you say that a simple double executed excelently is very deceptive too

Cheers

Apr 28, 2008
[Original];131475 said:
So for close the conversation morgician i'll said that i love special double because the spectactors can't even think that the card that you've spin throw return etc... is a double...but i agree with you when you say that a simple double executed excelently is very deceptive too

Cheers

I don't really agree with this, some magicians seem to think that a flourishy double is better as spectators don't believe a double could be thrown in the air. However, in my opinion this logic is very flawed. Spectators do not naturally assume that a card is a double, they will assume it is a single card unless there is anything to make them suspicious. If you do unnecessarily complicated double lifts then it can appear that you are trying to 'over prove' the fact that it's a single card, this could cause suspicion.

A simple double lift executed flawlessly (which very few people can do) is far more deceptive as it appears that nothing has happened, it seems that you have simply shown them the top card, when done casually and naturally they will not give this a second thought, this is not the case with a flourishy double.

Also, if you show that you are capable of throwing a card in the air, performing complex twirls with it etc, there is no reason for the spectator to assume that you could not also do this with 2 cards.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results