Dresscode review

James Wise Magic

Elite Member
Dec 28, 2007
Ok so most of you know, Dresscode is an awesome effect where you instantly change your shirt you're wearing into another shirt. You can then hand your over shirt/jacket up for expection and you're left pretty much clean! If you haven't seen the trailer for the effect yet, go here: http://www.theory11.com/tricks/dresscode-calen-morelli.php

DVD quality: Of course it's by theory11 so the resolution is AMAZING! And audio is pretty good, and editing fits all together well.

Now the DVD does come with the materials you will need to make your own gimmick, yes there is a gimmick. Although the DVD comes with the materials, I'm sure you should have no problem going to the nearby store and finding the materials needed.

The gimmick: Now I'm not usually one to like gimmicks to wear on your body and cover it up with your clothes, etc. Although I'm quite satisfied with this gimmick. You can make it to fit your own body and readjust anything if you need to. It feels a bit strange, at least for me because I'm not use to wearing anything else other than my shirt; that being said, the gimmick is comfortable and is annoying to wear, I could wear it all day and probably forget about it at times. EDIT: And for those of you wondering, yes you do destroy one of the shirts, so make sure you're ok with that before you buy this so you don't destroy one of your expensive, favorite shirts.

Now what I LOVE about this effect is that it's very versitile! You can change it to fit your style or change it to whatever presentation you want. In the DVD Calen shows you a couple of different presentations to perform Dresscode with other than just changing your shirt. One is to have your spectator think of any kind of soda out of the hundreds that there are in this world and instantly he changes his shirt to the soda the spectator chose. Or having several names written on his shirt, the spectator choses a name from the shirt but keeps it inside of his/her mind so the magician never knows what the name is, and instantly all the letters on the shirt appear to have fallen to the bottom of his shirt expect the name that the spectator chose.

I'm in college and hang out with several other people in college so I like to change my shirt into the school's UNT shirt. But there are SOOOOOOO many different things you can do with this one gimmick.

Teaching: Calen is an awesome teacher. I know this really has nothing to do with the trick or the teaching, but my favorite line Calen says in this DVD is, "Alright for this next part, things are gonna get akward, but that's ok because here at theory11, that's what we're all about" :cool: Awesome line, just saying. haha. Anyways, Calen goes through everything you need to know to make the gimmick to wearing the gimmick to performing the effect. He even tells you several mistakes and pitfalls that several magicians make when performing this effect and ways to get around those problems. And like I said, he teaches you several different ways to perform this effect. On his youtube account and even posted in the theory11 media section, Calen performs a formal version of Dresscode with a suit and tie, if you haven't seen it, check it out here: http://media.theory11.com/4236-Dresscode---The-Formal-Version

And for those of you wondering, yes you do need an over shirt or jacket! Although only for a little bit, like I said, after the change you can hand the over shirt or jacket to the spectators to make sure there's nothing there and you're pretty much clean!

Final thoughts: I haven't actually performed this just yet, I'm still perfecting the change and experimenting with the gimmick to fit just right to make sure I don't flash or anything. Though I'm sure once I start performing this I will get awesome reactions. I highly reccomend this effect to anyone that's been thinking about getting this! Thanks Calen for such an awesome effect!

That's it! PEACE!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results