Elmsley Series

Oct 21, 2009
Has anyone read the Elmsley Series of lecture notes about his magic tricks and sleight moves. I'm curious about reading it but I just want to see the opinions that others share so please let me know before I purchase a lemon :eek:

Sep 1, 2007
New Zealand
Like anybody cares but this need to be in the product forums.

I most definately care, considering he is my magic idol.

When you say his lecture notes, what lecture notes do you mean? Low Cunning, Cardworks or Alex Is At It Again?

If you mean his Collected Works, then you will be very hard pressed to find better books on magic, obviously that statement is very subjective. But that's my opinion.

He has a lecture DVD put out by Five Of Hearts Magic that is a very nice 2 DVD set, including a worrkshop and his lecture.

His Tahoe session DVDs are also very awesome. If you've read his Collected Works you will be happy to SEE some of his work put to DVD. There are 4 DVDs and they're not that cheap, but so worth it. If you have seen his card to wallet, you will KNOW that he has some serious chops. One of the craziest and cleanest card to wallets I've seen.

I own pretty much all the Elmsley material available, so if you want to discuss further with someone who knows their stuff, send me a PM and I will be happy to help

Oh btw, I wouldn't be worried about purchasing a lemon. Elmsley was pretty much a mathematical genius, and this is refelected in a lot of his magic. So so often after learning a trick, I am completely awestruck at the method and how clever he must have been to come up with this stuff. By the way, if you're into Faro work, you'll be happy to know that Alex Elmsley is possibly THE biggest pioneer of the Faro shuffle to date.

Good luck

Oct 21, 2009
I most definately care, considering he is my magic idol.

When you say his lecture notes, what lecture notes do you mean? Low Cunning, Cardworks or Alex Is At It Again?

If you mean his Collected Works, then you will be very hard pressed to find better books on magic, obviously that statement is very subjective. But that's my opinion.

He has a lecture DVD put out by Five Of Hearts Magic that is a very nice 2 DVD set, including a worrkshop and his lecture.

His Tahoe session DVDs are also very awesome. If you've read his Collected Works you will be happy to SEE some of his work put to DVD. There are 4 DVDs and they're not that cheap, but so worth it. If you have seen his card to wallet, you will KNOW that he has some serious chops. One of the craziest and cleanest card to wallets I've seen.

I own pretty much all the Elmsley material available, so if you want to discuss further with someone who knows their stuff, send me a PM and I will be happy to help

Oh btw, I wouldn't be worried about purchasing a lemon. Elmsley was pretty much a mathematical genius, and this is refelected in a lot of his magic. So so often after learning a trick, I am completely awestruck at the method and how clever he must have been to come up with this stuff. By the way, if you're into Faro work, you'll be happy to know that Alex Elmsley is possibly THE biggest pioneer of the Faro shuffle to date.

Good luck

thanks man I'm going to check out the books. I'm new to magic and lookin forward to learning.

Sep 1, 2007
New Zealand
Unfortunately, the books are reasonably hard to find and will cost you around $150 for both of them.

How new to magic are you? I'm not sure that I would recommend these books to someone unless they are at least an intermediate card handler.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
I'm agreed with Jupiter. The Alex Elmsley books won't be suitable for beginners. If you're new to magic, there are definitely better books to check out, including Royal Road, Card College, Tarbell, Mark Wilson and Joshua Jay's Complete Courses in magic, to name a few. Collected Works are great books, but hard to find and expensive. I wish I had a copy. :/

Sep 1, 2007
New Zealand
I'm agreed with Jupiter. The Alex Elmsley books won't be suitable for beginners. If you're new to magic, there are definitely better books to check out, including Royal Road, Card College, Tarbell, Mark Wilson and Joshua Jay's Complete Courses in magic, to name a few. Collected Works are great books, but hard to find and expensive. I wish I had a copy. :/

Spot on Prae. When you get a little later down the card track, the Elmsley resources will be good for you to look into, until then, look at the advice above me

Oct 21, 2009
Unfortunately, the books are reasonably hard to find and will cost you around $150 for both of them.

How new to magic are you? I'm not sure that I would recommend these books to someone unless they are at least an intermediate card handler.

I've been performing magic for around 3 months. Got a few select card tricks under my belt. Illusions.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results