Ethics

Jul 12, 2008
Kendal
To my mind, in an ideal world, exposure would not be a problem. This would be for a couple of reasons. Here and now you see and trick and you want to learn to perform it for yourself so you look at the price and consider buying it. Far too often this happens without enough thought being put into who you are as a performer and whether this trick will fit your performance style, and whether you can manipulate it, through handling and presentational details, so that it does fit you.

Just because you know how a certain trick is done does not mean you should be performing it. Just because you PAID to know how a trick is done does not mean you should be performing it. If someone sees an effect and thinks they could do it themselves I see no problem with them figuring out a method, polishing it up etc. and performing it. This would be foolish if they copied the exact patter that they saw initially, because that patter is reflecting someone else's personality and it would seem very queer to an audience, even if The Magician does not realise he/she is doing it.
There is an element of this in even performing an effect that The Magician did not come up with his/herself because any trick that someone else has come up with is going to reflect their personality a little. Obviously it would be irrational to expect beginners to come up with their own effects, but once you know enough you should absolutely be coming up with your own ideas as much as possible. Start with the effect then work your way down to details of method and handling. These are minor details because the spectators are not concerned with it.

If you are performing to your absolute best then a comparatively small percentage of people you perform for will be asking how the trick is achieved. I think the point initially raised is of lesser importance - sure you want to make sure you're not robbing people, but it strikes me that a few of you are being a shade too pious and may be losing sight of the dream.

Dec 26, 2009
KeoSilver-

That is exactly what I meant. If there are ways of hiding it on a forum, i.e. an Academy of sorts, then I see nothing wrong, but to openly put the reveal to a trick or gimmick out to the public I do believe would be wrong. As far as a chat room goes as long as I know everyone in the room is a magician then I see nothing wrong with talking freely.

Thank you for clarifying my jumbled thoughts Silver.

Apr 5, 2009
Illinois
KeoSilver-

That is exactly what I meant. If there are ways of hiding it on a forum, i.e. an Academy of sorts, then I see nothing wrong, but to openly put the reveal to a trick or gimmick out to the public I do believe would be wrong. As far as a chat room goes as long as I know everyone in the room is a magician then I see nothing wrong with talking freely.

Thank you for clarifying my jumbled thoughts Silver.

(*cough exomagic *cough)

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results