Fan Flourishes

Jun 10, 2008
You little stalker!
I've been getting really into fan flourishes. By fan flourishes i mean the stuff you do AFTER a fan is made. I'm currently practicing the fan twirl and Nebelfuch's fan spin. Does anyone know any other things in this category and where i can learn them? Thanks!

PTG

Jun 15, 2008
In a cave.
MARY JANE SWEET FLIPBACK FAN on the system

I wouldn't exactly call that a flourish with the fan... it's just not the same...

Hmm...how about the 'heaven display' by de'vo? That one's amazing. You can learn it on his dvd cradle to grave.

-PTG

Oct 8, 2007
Well here are some others.

http://vimeo.com/1128716 UPFV by some guy with the name Brian. That's a video with my friend Sam Woody performing his version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEHLPdLQDbw The Birdy Fan. Created by "De'vo vom Schattenreich" aka David Beyer. Cool little thang. Learn it on one of the De'vo DVDs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0K39QH1Atrc Little thing I found while searching for the Birdy Fan. Just a nice variation.

As PTG mentioned, the Heaven Display used 2 fans. Can be learned on Cradle to Grave. Fan twirls, in the Encyclopedia of Playing Card Flourishes, available at http://www.flourishman.com/Encyclopedia.htm
Also Fan twirls in XB.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 31, 2008
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEHLPdLQDbw The Birdy Fan. Created by "De'vo vom Schattenreich" aka David Beyer. Cool little thang. Learn it on one of the De'vo DVDs.

Who the sam hell is David Beyer?!?! *sigh* n00blets....

After making a fan you can also try out fan tosses, and fan divisions (see the trailer for EOPCF companion dvd #3) also you can do circles, then twirl closes, as well as fan balances (such as on another an fan, finger or single card etc....) plus De'vo's uber-cool watch spin and tons of other cool moves, experiment making your own fan moves, that would be fun....

Oct 8, 2007
Who the sam hell is David Beyer?!?! *sigh* n00blets....

After making a fan you can also try out fan tosses, and fan divisions (see the trailer for EOPCF companion dvd #3) also you can do circles, then twirl closes, as well as fan balances (such as on another an fan, finger or single card etc....) plus De'vo's (a.k.a. evil dark master) uber-cool watch spin and tons of other cool moves, experiment making your own fan moves, that would be fun....

De'vo Vom Schattenreich is the stage name of David Beyer, a (former?) US service member and magician who has made a killing selling instructional dvd's through his superhandz and handlordz web sites.

He created a whole back story for his pseudonym that involved ancient card juggling rituals passed down through a secret society that met in an abandoned castle. It was all a bit over the top, but the kids ate it up. I'm not sure he still sticks to that story anymore.

He founded Superhandz and was one of the driving forces behind XCM. In fact, he owns the trademark for the term Xtreme Card Manipulation.

David R. Beyer from Aurora, Colorado.

Tech. Sgt. Dave Beyer. with 460th Services Division (Buckley's Air Force Base in Aurora Colorado). He was eventually stationed in Germany around the same time De'Vo went there. His wife had domains registered under her name there until someone made the details public. At which point they were switched over to anonymous domain registrars. He likes his anonymity.

:)

Jun 10, 2008
You little stalker!
De'vo Vom Schattenreich is the stage name of David Beyer, a (former?) US service member and magician who has made a killing selling instructional dvd's through his superhandz and handlordz web sites.

He created a whole back story for his pseudonym that involved ancient card juggling rituals passed down through a secret society that met in an abandoned castle. It was all a bit over the top, but the kids ate it up. I'm not sure he still sticks to that story anymore.

He founded Superhandz and was one of the driving forces behind XCM. In fact, he owns the trademark for the term Xtreme Card Manipulation.

David R. Beyer from Aurora, Colorado.

Tech. Sgt. Dave Beyer. with 460th Services Division (Buckley's Air Force Base in Aurora Colorado). He was eventually stationed in Germany around the same time De'Vo went there. His wife had domains registered under her name there until someone made the details public. At which point they were switched over to anonymous domain registrars. He likes his anonymity.

:)

Wow, never knew De'vo was actually an american. And to think, i atually believed the Ulmen Trials stuff at one point...

Jan 31, 2008
I've been getting really into fan flourishes. By fan flourishes i mean the stuff you do AFTER a fan is made. I'm currently practicing the fan twirl and Nebelfuch's fan spin. Does anyone know any other things in this category and where i can learn them? Thanks!

Just a small note, if you're preforming for an audience use Jerry's fan twirl as it is more visual from a distance ( mainly because the fan is on it's side not lying flat on a horizontal plane) if you're doing close up, either twirl is fine to do....

Jan 31, 2008
I have a pic of it that was in the De'vo thread on Decknique. It might be too small. :(

Here it goes:
View attachment 976

Edit: Yep. It's big enough (t.w.s.s.). Just click it.

That's really funny that the top isn't a picture of the page (looks like a photoshopped typed up picture) while the bottom half is. Lots of people could make a similar "authentic page" and show it crediting Mickey Mouse....

Anyways off-topic thread all the De' stuff mentioned is complete BS

Sep 2, 2007
London
That's really funny that the top isn't a picture of the page (looks like a photoshopped typed up picture) while the bottom half is. Lots of people could make a similar "authentic page" and show it crediting Mickey Mouse....

Anyways off-topic thread all the De' stuff mentioned is complete BS

Why would you say that?

David Beyer owns the trademarks "Superhandz", "Handlordz" and "De'vo vom Schattenreich" in the US. He also used to own "Xtreme Card Manipulation" and "Cobra Cut", but they've lapsed.

Here is the link to the US Patent and Trademark Office search for David Beyer:

USPTO

Also, interestingly, he is (or at least, was) involved in "display-cooking" (i.e. flourishy kitchen utensil manipulation) in the Air Force. Check this out:

Article

It's not exactly an Erdnase-level mystery. One minute on Google found me that information.

De'vo is Tech. Sgt. Dave Beyer, 460th Services Division.

Jan 31, 2008
USPTO

Also, interestingly, he is (or at least, was) involved in "display-cooking" (i.e. flourishy kitchen utensil manipulation) in the Air Force. Check this out:

Article

Sounds just like a tenpanyiapi style chef they'd have at benniana's which use "food manipulation" and good food to entertain which isn't to uncommon.... like the name "David Beyer" do a people search on David Beyer and you'll find an average of 2-3 people under that name in each state....

Sep 1, 2007
my god man there are so many things you can do with a fan once formed. twirl, flip (like deck twirls but with a fan), tosses and catches (well the catch is optional I've found) spins on watches, balances, deck divisions within the fans.... don't even get me started on giant fans... stripouts... lepaul BACK INTO THE GIANT FAN... continous twirls (very difficult)...

if you want to learn this stuff just watch as many videos as you can, as well as of course digesting all the published material, meaning, get the goddammed flourishman's book and DVDs!

did you guys know the flourishman is actually named Jerry Cestkowski! :eek: yes its true, I have exposed his identity to the world, I rule. well, off to practice manipulations now.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results