Favorites in Wilson's complete course

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
The Slip Force, the Perfect Force; Short Card Force, The Bigger Card, Coin through Leg, Coin in Yarn Ball, Bill in Lemon, Cut and Restored Rope, Three Way Test, Center Tear, the Envelope Stand, Turned Up Glasses, The Sun and Moon, Wine Glass Production, Square Circle (still want to build one), Sponge Balls (but don't point), Billiard Balls (great ball roll, but again, don't point) and Cups & Balls, Curious Cabinet, Tip Over Trunk, Chapstick Caper and Tic Tac Toe.

Aug 6, 2017
The Slip Force, the Perfect Force; Short Card Force, The Bigger Card, Coin through Leg, Coin in Yarn Ball, Bill in Lemon, Cut and Restored Rope, Three Way Test, Center Tear, the Envelope Stand, Turned Up Glasses, The Sun and Moon, Wine Glass Production, Square Circle (still want to build one), Sponge Balls (but don't point), Billiard Balls (great ball roll, but again, don't point) and Cups & Balls, Curious Cabinet, Tip Over Trunk, Chapstick Caper and Tic Tac Toe.

What do you mean by don't point with sponge balls and billiard balls.

DominusDolorum

Elite Member
Jul 15, 2013
Canada
I think we have different editions of the book.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
What do you mean by don't point with sponge balls and billiard balls.

When Mark vanishes a coin or ball through a false put (as opposed to a false take) he says to point at the hand where the audience thinks the coin or ball should be. Although I agree with the concept of focusing the audience's attention, I think that the pointing is a little too much and it may make the audience suspicious. The better technique is to focus your attention on the hand where the coin or ball should be. Normally, I'll deliberately move that hand from the center of my body to the outside and follow that movement with my eyes. That movement and attention is away from the "dirty" hand that pauses for the movement of the other hand and then casually drops to the side.

I think we have different editions of the book.

There also is also a Cyclopedia of Magic which is somewhat abridged.

Reactions: Robert1996

DominusDolorum

Elite Member
Jul 15, 2013
Canada
There also is also a Cyclopedia of Magic which is somewhat abridged.
I have "Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic," but I couldn't find some of the things mentioned. Tic Tac Toe for instance. I went through the table of contents and didn't see it listed.

Aug 15, 2017
I got the book today and want to know your favorites in this book. I am very excited to read it and expand my knowledge past cards.
I will be cherishing this thread in the days to come.
Thanks for asking this mate :) :) :)

PS:-Of course I don't have faves since I don't have the book. Threfore, sorry if you feel I spammed you :)

Aug 6, 2017
I will be cherishing this thread in the days to come.
Thanks for asking this mate :) :) :)

PS:-Of course I don't have faves since I don't have the book. Threfore, sorry if you feel I spammed you :)

No worries. I'm glad this question can help others!

Mar 15, 2018
boardgamegeek.com
I once made a list of favourites from Mark Wilson's book, as suggested by various magicians. Here's that list:

p.89 Color Changing Aces No. 1: Four Aces shown. Two reds dealt to table, transpose with blacks

Comment: A classic - a simple version of Dr. Daley's last trick, gets good reactions and is easy.

p.95 Double Thought Projection: Cards from a red deck are shown face up, any card named by spectator is shown to have a blue back! This is placed back into the blue deck, which is spread face down to reveal one red card: the duplicate selected card!

Comment: Tricks with different coloured backs can be very impressive with good presentation.

p.123 Four Card Assembly: Four Aces are dealt face up, three indifferent cards are dealt face down on each pile. Spectator selects one pile, others are returned to deck. Three Aces vanish from deck, and are found in the Ace pile.

Comment: A nice MacDonald's Aces type effect.

p.145 Self Reversing Pack Outdone: Cards mixed face down and face up straighten themselves out, but a selected card is left face up in center

Comment: An easy to do and modifiable Triumph.

p.228 The Six Bill Repeat: using gimmicked bills

Comment: A popular favourite from the book for many people.

p.305 The Sucker Torn and Restored Napkin: a torn-and-restored effect

Comment: Fun to perform, and people are always surprised by the ending; perhaps the most often mentioned favourite from the book.

p.335 The Envelope Stand "Bank Night" Variation: Spectators unable to find envelope with dollar bill, unlike magician.

Comment: Bank Night style tricks always tend to be mystifying; it's another classic.

p.339 The Impossible Penetration: Two rolled up bills penetrate each other

Comment: This is a "betcha" type trick, ideal for parties.

p.481 Tic Tac Toe Prediction: predict the outcome of a game

Comment: Very easy, yet seems impossible to the spectator; can even be done on a business card for spectator to keep.
NB: This is in the "Reputation Makers" section, which wasn't in earlier editions of the book.

p.498 Chapstick Caper: bill transposition

Comment: The effect of the transposition is like real magic.
NB: This is in the "Reputation Makers" section, which wasn't in earlier editions of the book.

And then of course there are classics, none of which are `hidden gems' as such, but all very solid versions of each:
p.237 Cut and Restored Rope
p.393 Sponge Ball Routine
p.423 Cups and Balls

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results