Favourite non card effects

Feb 16, 2015
Hello,

I posted a thread but I didn’t make much sense. So let’s try again.

I have loads of card material in my set but I am looking for some non card routines. I was thinking:
Murry mint
Real coin magic
Ring flight

These sorts of things but I wanted to know what you guys thing is good and what your favourite non card effects are!

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
The short version, which is really all I'm willing to share at this juncture - The voodoo doll routine is a collection of impromptu methods that allow you to control someone's body with a voodoo doll. Anywhere from a 1 minute stunt to a 5-7 minute routine, depending on how much the performer wants to do. I'm considering releasing that one.

The energetic touches routine is my take on the classic PK Touches, but I have developed it to be completely unique. I rarely perform it for magicians, though - only at the East Coast Spirit Sessions. Not really ready to see that one stolen and butchered by people who don't understand that the simple methods aren't what make the routine work.

Reactions: TimW1
I'm considering releasing that one.
That sounds really cool! If you do release it be sure to price it to where 12 year olds won't reveal it on YouTube.

I like Lipsmacker by Paul Harris for anything mint related. For coin magic, there is a plethora of variations on coin magic so it's hard to give a recommendation without specifics, and my favorite ring flight is Ring Flight Revolution by David Bonsall. I have reviews of both Lipsmacker and Ring Flight Revolution on my YouTube channel along with live performances if you want more info on those effects.

As far as my personal favorite to perform that doesn't include cards, it's a routine I use for stage illusions where I'm stripped down to swim trunks, locked from neck to my ankles in industrial chain, and then put into a standard issue mail bag that is locked at the top and none of the locks are gimmicked. Before I introduce the audience to the three parts of the magic trick in The Prestige (Pledge, Turn, Prestige). The being locked up and put into the bag is The Pledge. A screen is briefly put over me to reveal that I failed in my escape which is The Turn phase. But then the music changes to a completely different style and a transport into a previously empty location in clothes again. That last part is The Prestige. I have my stage manager narrate the parts of The Prestige that I previously introduced the audience to the concepts with Double Cross.

Reactions: TimW1 and CWhite
Feb 16, 2015
That sounds really cool! If you do release it be sure to price it to where 12 year olds won't reveal it on YouTube.

I like Lipsmacker by Paul Harris for anything mint related. For coin magic, there is a plethora of variations on coin magic so it's hard to give a recommendation without specifics, and my favorite ring flight is Ring Flight Revolution by David Bonsall. I have reviews of both Lipsmacker and Ring Flight Revolution on my YouTube channel along with live performances if you want more info on those effects.

As far as my personal favorite to perform that doesn't include cards, it's a routine I use for stage illusions where I'm stripped down to swim trunks, locked from neck to my ankles in industrial chain, and then put into a standard issue mail bag that is locked at the top and none of the locks are gimmicked. Before I introduce the audience to the three parts of the magic trick in The Prestige (Pledge, Turn, Prestige). The being locked up and put into the bag is The Pledge. A screen is briefly put over me to reveal that I failed in my escape which is The Turn phase. But then the music changes to a completely different style and a transport into a previously empty location in clothes again. That last part is The Prestige. I have my stage manager narrate the parts of The Prestige that I previously introduced the audience to the concepts with Double Cross.

Really really helpful advice man.

I will get ring flight because everyone recommends it. Also I will look up lipsmacker

Oct 6, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
If I am with a larger group of people and I am doing some tricks I actually like to a do a kind of version of "Light as a feather, stiff as a board" thing. Everyone knows about it but I most people I know have never done it and it always gets a great reaction!

Dec 3, 2017
ChristopherT,I perform similar thing but I use hypnosis to achieve the results I want and derren brown performed it using hypnosis too. Go to YouTube and search "voodoo doll derren brown". I hope I will read it if you realse it.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I'm familiar with Derren's video, that was part of the original inspiration. Hypnosis is not necessary, this will work for pretty much anyone with no prep whatsoever.

Oct 19, 2015
As noted above...

Rope tricks (e.g. Professors Nightmare, and Cut and Restored Rope) and Sponge Balls are always on top of my list. Cups and Balls with a Chop Cup and PK Ring added in gives you a 1,000 routines you can create......add in an egg bag and you have a good foundation for any show....

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Always a good idea to clarify such things when asking the question.

My answer is the same, though.

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
I'm working on a routine where I memorize what Dick Clark was wearing during the $20,000 Pyramid. I'm pretty stoked for it :)

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results