Feeling different when performing to men and women

Jun 16, 2016
Ohio
I am a male. Naturally, I can get along better with men. However, my case is different. I get along better with women and less with men. But, when I perform magic, I get more nervous when I present it to women. Conversely, I feel much more confident when performing to men.

Have you experienced the same thing? Does it mean I need to perform more to women so I can gain more confidence? Or do I need to look at all through the same lens rather than separating the two?

Dec 31, 2015
Personally, I put more polish on the magic when I'm performing to anybody who aren't my sounding boards, so to speak. In most cases, women react better to magic, and aren't watching you as closely as the men are. However, that doesn't mean you should relax any on doing your absolute best to perform your sleights and effects flawlessly. A male audience tends to be more rowdy, rude, and reacts quieter. Female audiences tend to have the biggest reactions, are calmer, and much more polite to perform to. There are exceptions in each case of course, but when performing I don't separate the two genders, except in effects specifically orientated towards a female if you are a male magician or vice versa. Just look at men and women the same, and only worry about their mood. If the spectator is in a bad mood, they are less likely to be open to your magic, and will probably watch you very closely. If the spectator is in a good mood, they will be more easy going, and open to the effects. In short, as long as you perform the effects as best as you can, there is nothing to worry about. As long as the spectator enjoys seeing magic, or is open to it, everything will go well. As far as confidence when performing, as long as you can do the effects without messing up, and have tested the effect(s) before and they work every time, it doesn't matter what gender a person happens to be.

Reactions: AmberGraci
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results