Fingers

Jan 30, 2008
Could this constant practise and hours of repeating the same motion do some kind of damage to fingers joints or tendons? I was just wondering this because sometimes my fingers hurt a little in the evening if i have practised a lot during the day. But i usually stretch a little and the pain usually stops after it.

If you were practicing a ton than it could just be that your hands and fingers become sore. Just like your legs would after running a few miles. If it goes away after a bit that's good. If the pain is constant I would definitely give your fingers a rest for a little bit.

This happens to me every now and then and I just put the cards down for a couple hours and it feels fine.

At least you know your practicing enough,

-Michael

Jan 30, 2008
If you were practicing a ton than it could just be that your hands and fingers become sore. Just like your legs would after running a few miles. If it goes away after a bit that's good. If the pain is constant I would definitely give your fingers a rest for a little bit.

This happens to me every now and then and I just put the cards down for a couple hours and it feels fine.

At least you know your practicing enough,

-Michael

Thanks for your reply.

Feb 17, 2008
K-W, ON, Canada
Doing anything too much will cause pain like that. There's not really anything in card magic anyway that could do too much damage to your hands. :confused: In fact, it's probably good for them, if anything.

But if you're worried about it, look up some finger/wrist stretches to do before and after, and start practicing in multiple short sessions rather than one long session. And of course, if the pain doesn't go away, well- then you've gone and dunnit. :0 And you should go see your doctor, yadda yadda. ;)

Deryn

Elite Member
Sep 4, 2007
Tampa Bay, FL
www.instagram.com
it's no worse than typing, playing guitar, and picking your nose. True your fingers do a lot during flourishes and what not but you overlooked the everyday "normal" things your fingers do. I wouldn't worry about it. In fact, there are books & videos on finger excersises to make your fingers VERY nimble.

Doing anything too much will cause pain like that. There's not really anything in card magic anyway that could do too much damage to your hands. :confused: In fact, it's probably good for them, if anything.

But if you're worried about it, look up some finger/wrist stretches to do before and after, and start practicing in multiple short sessions rather than one long session. And of course, if the pain doesn't go away, well- then you've gone and dunnit. :0 And you should go see your doctor, yadda yadda. ;)

http://www.handhealth.com/ is a good resource for some finger/hand stretches and exercises.

Feb 25, 2008
Im thinking you wont have any long lasting problems. Punching a metal pole will, however, cause some long lasting damage.

Sep 1, 2007
San Francisco, CA
This exercise for your fingers is actually very helpful. It increases your dexterity and strength of your fingers. The pain you are feeling it the same pain you would feel if you lifted weights or ran for a while. Eventually your finger muscles will work past the pain and become stronger.

Th-th-that that don't kill me, can only make me stronger....

David

Feb 25, 2008
This exercise for your fingers is actually very helpful. It increases your dexterity and strength of your fingers. The pain you are feeling it the same pain you would feel if you lifted weights or ran for a while. Eventually your finger muscles will work past the pain and become stronger.

Th-th-that that don't kill me, can only make me stronger....

David
HA, alright kanye.

Jan 30, 2008
Yes, I would not recommend punching a metal pole. That may result in injury that will last much longer.

I guess I shouldn't use that new aerial move I was working on. :p

Michael
Punching a metal pole is bad for the hands??? Oh, now i know where the pain in my hands come from :D

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results