For those of you worried about ruining your card decks...

Dec 12, 2007
Alrighty fellow magicians,
I have taken a couple of decks of playing cards and have put them up against the elements and challenges. I have run these cards through the toughest, most endangering challenges thought of just so i could tell you guys what cards can withstand.

WATER
NOPE no dice. Both hot and cold water will warp your cards and if submerged and/or gotten wet, they will no longer fan, spring or work at all for that matter.

Now all of this of course is if you get your cards wet and do not dry them off!
If you get them wet, BLOW dry them with a blowdryer (don't try doing it with your mouth because it won't work!) After they are dry, sprinkle a bit of fanning powder on them and they will be back to normal (depending on how wet they have gotten and how much damage has been done to the cards while wet. However, if they have gotten wet enough, water will actually slip inbetween the middle of the card and may cause air bubbles in the card so be careful!

FIRE
A little bit less destructive than water simply because of the finish the cards have, they have the ability to withstand flames. Any of you guys who have Jay Sankey's "In a Flash" or pour alcohol on your cards and light them on fire will know that cards are very durable and will hold up against flames. So if your cards do become charred a little bit, just put a little fanning powder on them and they will be good to go! Of course, the cards that i burned to a crisp unfortunately do not work anymore :( Sorry Four of Hearts!! Rest in Peace!

AIR
This of course is relating to temperature!
So sticking cards in HEAT will cause them to MELT! At least the heat that I put it at which is 300 degrees F. I doubt any of you will be putting your cards in a 300 degree oven, nor do you guys live in a state where it is ever that hot! But i can only assume the worst for the earth when global warming becomes a problem and we are trying to perform card tricks while the earth is heating up even hotter than that! As far as 90 degree weather for those of you who live in florida or Cali, it shouldn't be too bad for the cards.
Anyway, stick them in the freezer and they will fan like a DREAM once you pull them out!
Cold cards = great cards! I have no idea why.

EARTH
Good ole dirt! Dirt really doesn't do anything to cards but if you get mud on them... kiss them goodbye! Mud is HORRIBLE for cards. Now of course, you wouldn't go pouring mud on your cards but if you happen to be standing in a muddy field or getting a christmas tree in those (cut them yourself) lots right after a snowfall when it's all muddy and you drop your cards, you better find yourself a new deck or replacement cards.

CONCLUSION:
-Fanning powder will recover cards under a lot of circumstances but not all of them.
-Cold temperatures will preserve cards (just like glow sticks)
-Mud, water and heat are NOT good for cards!

A few more points and discoveries that have or have not been mentioned yet.
- Wash your hands before handling your children (cards). Washing hands will take most grease and residue off your hands and you will really notice the difference when fanning and performing.
-Bending and/or ripping of the cards while not performing is not only considered murder (because you are murdering and hurting your children) but also render cards unusable but i'm pretty sure all of you knew that.

I hope i have helped!!!

Scott

I was hoping you would have some tests invovling a deck of cards at absolute 0. For you non science geeks thats -273.15 degrees celcius and the temperature where ALL molecular motion stops.

Nice post! Thanks.

Sep 1, 2007
When I put my cards in the freezer, they fan great for about two seconds. Then the moisture gets to them and they become really soggy.

Ah, it's fabulous living in a humid country.

Sep 2, 2007
1. thanks for thius!

2.: I thought that scientests have yet to get anything to absolute zero?

Dec 14, 2007
UK
Erm guys, it's impossible for anything to ever reach absolute zero. Don't you know your third law of thermodynamics...

But hmm I have to agree with JohnnyZ above me. It doesn't come as much of a surprise that mud/water/ovens/fire aren't healthy for a deck of cards.

magicman21

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Wisconsin
ya, you really don't need to put them in the freezer only the fridge, that way when you take them out they wont get soggy, but still remain crisp!! (lol)

PhilTheMagician

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2007
Plastic cards (the 100% plastic ones like KEM or Royal) hold up GREAT to water :p

I've even done a few card tricks at the beach with my Royal deck.....left it burried there too...so some (lucky?) person would find them.

Sep 1, 2007
I was hoping you would have some tests invovling a deck of cards at absolute 0. For you non science geeks thats -273.15 degrees celcius and the temperature where ALL molecular motion stops.

Nice post! Thanks.

Absolute zero is only theoretical. It cannot actually be attained.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results