Free Magic With a Cell Phone

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
What's up everyone I recently submitted a magic effect to a magazine and a couple other places. The response over all has been great but the recuring theme of the feedback is that the effects conditions are too specific to sell. I have to agree, it would really stink to purchase a magic trick for a phone and then realize that it won't work for your specific model.

I do feel like this is a simple idea that is worth sharing though and would like to put it here on the forums so that you guys can check it out and maybe we can brainstorm some ways to make it more accessible to different typs of phones.

The link to the tutorial is below. Basically you cause all of your apps to change to the app freely selected by a spectator.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSD0D7TVvAA

If you like what you see please subscribe to my You Tube channel or purchase one of my other Wire Effects. Thank you all!

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
Wow! You fooled me! On my phone it only allows me to use up to 7 pages of apps so I don't think that this would work with mine but man you really added a ton to my effect there it looks beautiful. I love the shake that you added as well it makes it just a bit more visual.

Jan 10, 2009
University Park PA
One idea for another subtle convincer would be to install a custom launcher on the phone (apex, nova, etc) (you can find them on google play just search one of the ones I listed) and change the settings so that it hides the dots that show what home screen page you're on.

antoferra

Elite Member
Nov 2, 2014
Italy
I have a motorola moto g, but the it's not about the phone, it's about the launcher.As rocket92 said, you should download apex or nova launcher and experiment with their settings: you'll be able to do what I did and maybe create other effects

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
Hey y'all I've been experimenting! Using the Apex launcher you are able to get rid of the page markers at the bottom of the screen and you have more screens available to you. Before it only allowed me to have 7 screens and at least now it allows me to have up to 9. You also have the option of changing the apps in the dock (the small row of apps at the bottom of the screen). This really helps to elevate the illusion and solves some of the problems.

Does anyone know if using a custom launcher would help this to work on an iPhone or other brand of phone?

antoferra

Elite Member
Nov 2, 2014
Italy
Launchers are only available on android. I think I found a way to do the same effect on iPhones but you would have to create a photoshopped wallpaper and I really don't have time these days.

PS. If you have any other questions about magic on android I can help you, I'm quite expert with it and I created some pretty cool (unreleased) effects.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results