Getting Nauseous Before a Show

Pete Pridanonda

Elite Member
Jun 13, 2009
First of all, I would like to say that the last time this feeling has happened to me was over 10 years ago when I first got started in magic. I am sure that back then it was due to nervousness and the lack of confidence. However, as I gained more experience performing over the years, the feeling of vomiting disappeared and I've never had that feeling again. However, about a year ago, I started to have this feeling of nausea right before the show all over again. I know for a fact that it's not due to being nervous as I'm not sweating or shaking my hands; plus, I've had a lot of experience and confidence performing the same routines in front of people many times before.
Why do think this feeling came back to haunt me again? I'm thinking that it could be a negative effect of an adrenaline rush, but I'm not sure. Whatever the case maybe, does of you have any advice on how to get rid of this feeling? I tried not eating at all before a show but it doesn't seem to help. Any advice is greatly appreciated, no matter how impossible it may sound. Thank you so much in advance!

I have had this quite a bit right before a show and a good cause of it is that your body is being flooded with adrenaline. Whether you are actually nervous in your mind or not, your body is getting excited in preparation for something exciting. My track coach in high school used to tell me to yawn before a race to help cool the adrenaline. I'm not sure why it works but it certainly helps relax me and keeps me focused on the objective at hand. Another thing I do is I will listen to Peter Gundry music and just kind of meditate on that so I'm cool and collected before a show. Hope this helps!

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
I agree with Tyler; find a way to calm yourself down before the show. Get into a relaxed zone, whether it be breathing exercises, listening to music, etc. Even if it has nothing to do with being nervous, if you're relaxed and calm it will settle your nerves and your body overall. Also, even though you are performing magic, I would suggest to just stretch your muscles a bit and get your body as a whole feeling nice and relaxed. Hope this helps a little bit Pete!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results