Gonna buy some books...some help in the list?

Aug 15, 2017
So I am DEFINITELY going to buy Tricks of the Mind by Derren Brown.
The question is:-
Should I buy
1) Dynamo Book of secrets
2) Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic?
I am a Dynamo-fan and would have bought his autography first, but then he released this and I wanted to buy it ever since.
But EVERYONE here recommends Mark Wilson's book. So which is it?
Also also also...
If anyone thinks I should NEITHER buy Dynamo's NOR buy Wilson's but they have some other better suggestion for me, please do say. Requirements are there though.
I am looking for easy literature, there are enough magic books in my library to give me a headache in just deciphering the instructions. I WILL buy some more classics later in the year, but for now, awesome-level stuff WITH simple language is what I need. And then, there is the fact I am (prolly) intermediate-level. The book preferably should have illustrations, but bad illustrations won't actually be a deal-breaker tbh. And also, I do have a budget, which I can't really say SOLELY BECAUSE you guys won't feel or understand the pangs of my currency.

So suggestions? Or even, help in choosing between the 2 options I already have?

Reactions: kingdamian1
Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
Mark Wilson's Course is ridiculously cheap. You could prolly buy both.

What's your budget in terms of your money? You live in India, right? Because if you go to the country version of amazon, it shows you their currency, so we can double check for you there.

Also, a book that I don't own, but might be good for what you're looking at is Nate Staniforth's "Here is Real Magic". Not really a book with a lot of techniques, not even just about magic, but rather just a story about him re-developing a love for magic. $10 US for the e-book, $20 for a hardcover.
https://www.natestaniforth.com/#overview

Jul 26, 2016
In my opinion, this is a no-brainer, not even close: Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic - hands down!

The Dynamo Book of Secrets, while very inexpensive (under $10) is a book containing 36 tricks and is for beginners (You, Lord Magic, are intermediate level). The Mark Wilson Complete Course has some beginner level material but is mainly geared toward intermediate level. It contains over 300 tricks and routines in may genres (mostly, but not all close-up), including cards, coins, paper money, ropes, sponge balls, handkerchiefs, cups and balls, billiard balls, mental magic and much more. Very clearly explained and easy to follow diagrams and sketch drawings. About $13-$17 new (softbound), and $5 to $10 preowned in good to excellent condition.

Aug 15, 2017
In my opinion, this is a no-brainer, not even close: Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic - hands down!

The Dynamo Book of Secrets, while very inexpensive (under $10) is a book containing 36 tricks and is for beginners (You, Lord Magic, are intermediate level). The Mark Wilson Complete Course has some beginner level material but is mainly geared toward intermediate level. It contains over 300 tricks and routines in may genres (mostly, but not all close-up), including cards, coins, paper money, ropes, sponge balls, handkerchiefs, cups and balls, billiard balls, mental magic and much more. Very clearly explained and easy to follow diagrams and sketch drawings. About $13-$17 new (softbound), and $5 to $10 preowned in good to excellent condition.
You have Dynamo's book?

Aug 15, 2017

Also, Dynamo's book is Rs.1183.
So imagine spending $1183 first XD
Also, Wilson's comes cheaper...

Jul 26, 2016
@Lord Magic: "You have Dynamo's book?"

I think the real question is why are you cross-examining me after I took the time to try and help you in response to your post, which explicitly asks for "help?" Is that your only response? No, I do not have Dynamo's book, as I am not a beginner. The cover of the book itself states, right on the cover: "A Beginner's Guide to Modern Magic." You said in your post that you are on an "intermediate-level." I have had Mark Wilson's book for many years, however, and it has been amazingly helpful to me, as I believe it would be for any aspiring magician.

Reactions: Lord Magic
Aug 6, 2017

I think the real question is why are you cross-examining me after I took the time to try and help you in response to your post, which explicitly asks for "help?" Is that your only response? No, I do not have Dynamo's book, as I am not a beginner. The cover of the book itself states, right on the cover: "A Beginner's Guide to Modern Magic." You said in your post that you are on an "intermediate-level." I have had Mark Wilson's book for many years, however, and it has been amazingly helpful to me, as I believe it would be for any aspiring magician.
I don't think his question was meant to be sassy. I think he was asking do you have the book. Maybe if you did he wanted to ask a couple questions about it. I think it was just miscommunication.

Aug 15, 2017

Mate mate mate...I asked you that because if you had that book, I would have asked you what kind of effects it has.

You mistrusted moi? :'(

Its fine tho :)

Reactions: Hgagnon
Dec 28, 2017
So I am DEFINITELY going to buy Tricks of the Mind by Derren Brown.
The question is:-
Should I buy
1) Dynamo Book of secrets
2) Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic?
I am a Dynamo-fan and would have bought his autography first, but then he released this and I wanted to buy it ever since.
But EVERYONE here recommends Mark Wilson's book. So which is it?
Also also also...
If anyone thinks I should NEITHER buy Dynamo's NOR buy Wilson's but they have some other better suggestion for me, please do say. Requirements are there though.
I am looking for easy literature, there are enough magic books in my library to give me a headache in just deciphering the instructions. I WILL buy some more classics later in the year, but for now, awesome-level stuff WITH simple language is what I need. And then, there is the fact I am (prolly) intermediate-level. The book preferably should have illustrations, but bad illustrations won't actually be a deal-breaker tbh. And also, I do have a budget, which I can't really say SOLELY BECAUSE you guys won't feel or understand the pangs of my currency.

So suggestions? Or even, help in choosing between the 2 options I already have?

Nicholas Einhorn's "Illustrated Compendium of Magic Tricks" FOR SURE!!!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results