Good books on persuasion

S.G

Feb 9, 2010
Good books on persuasion?

Hello,

I was looking for good books on people skills as well as persuasion. This sounds kind of bad but also books on manipulation if you will. As a magician, it is important to be able to manipulate your spectators to a certain extent.

Does the book "13 Steps of Mentalism" fit that bill? Or do you guys know better books that deal with this psychology. I used google but I want to get a first hand recommendation.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 10, 2008
QLD, AUS
"The Game" by Neil Strauss. Amongst other things, if you really read between the lines, it discusses how to be an Alpha Male, and take control of the rhythm and flow of a group. I use theory from that book when performing more than any other source.

Also, PM this guy:
(AMOG = Alpha Male of the Group)
Just a small detail I wanted to add is when your friends and family understand that you perform on your terms only they will appreciate it that much more when you do choose to show them something.

Aaaaaand social-jujutsu rant to follow...

*I'm certainly not saying apply this to any and all situations. Just presenting this as some ideas to consider.*

I think more often it is more advantageous socially to at least initially decline the request.

When someone in a group asks you to perform they are giving you value by showing you have this unique 'ability'. HOWEVER, in immediately obliging them, you are giving up that power and may also be seen as supplicating to that person or the group. Basically, they won't appreciate it as much. It will also make you look extremely bad if a particular guy asks you in hopes of you supplicating to him which makes him look better socially. It is typically going to be something guys do, especially in the presence of girls. Without going to far down the rabbit hole that is pick up its called AMOGing. AMOG stands for Alpha Male Of Group and some guys WILL ask you to perform for the sole purpose of showing their dominance over you.

There are a few very attractive benefits to declining to immediately perform, especially if you are dealing with an AMOG:
1. You now have a value that no one else in the group has, most likely given to you by the person of most authority and highest social standing.
2. You now, have permission to perform at ANY point in the interaction. (This is especially useful in the case of an AMOG, the rest of the group should be eager to see you perform so when you bring it up later on your terms, even if he tries to refuse he'll have to bow to what the group wants which means he is in a subtle way bowing to you.)
3. You can dole out effects at your own leisure. If the conversation is winding down you can consider going into an effect.
4. You can now wait for conversation to steer to something relevant to an effect you have which will make it feel that much more spontaneous.

A nice bonus is in performing you can show your dominance in countless subtle ways. Simply by moving the crowd around, especially the guys. Tell them to do something for an effect and correct them. You don't have to be an ass just something simple like having them hold their hand out and moving it. Consider choosing them and then dismiss them for someone else. Things like that. Use your imagination.

If you are going to perform right away, consider making them do something to earn it. Ask what they are good at and have them do a little something for you. If nothing comes to mind, say you'll be glad to perform for them but only if they all do an impression of your favorite farm animal. Make them supplicate to you and reward them for their good behavior.

Jan 29, 2008
13 Steps is just a mentalism book and has nothing to do with persuasion.

When you say you need books on persuasion I think you actually mean more showmanship books. Persuasion books basically tell you how to "sell" something. So you're not persuading someone to think of a word...you're persuading them to buy something from you; that's what the "persuasion" books teach you how to do...how to sell.

With persuasion...you definitely want to buy Influence by Robert Cialdini

Some other books:
Persuasion by Dave Lakhani
Triggers by Joe Sugarman
I don't know the title...but the persuasion books are by Michael Lee (I have his audio)

If you want to manipulate people to a certain extent then you should definitely look into the PUAs (pick-up artists) like the book The Game by Neil Strass or The Mystery Method by Mystery

They basically turned the social/communication aspects of life into a science. They pick up women but they teach you how to approach people, what to say, what not to say, etc etc. You can use their principles while performing for people.

Another area is NLP (nuero-linguistic programing)...I personally don't believe in it but you can look into it.

S.G

Feb 9, 2010
13 Steps is just a mentalism book and has nothing to do with persuasion.

When you say you need books on persuasion I think you actually mean more showmanship books. Persuasion books basically tell you how to "sell" something. So you're not persuading someone to think of a word...you're persuading them to buy something from you; that's what the "persuasion" books teach you how to do...how to sell.

With persuasion...you definitely want to buy Influence by Robert Cialdini

Some other books:
Persuasion by Dave Lakhani
Triggers by Joe Sugarman
I don't know the title...but the persuasion books are by Michael Lee (I have his audio)

If you want to manipulate people to a certain extent then you should definitely look into the PUAs (pick-up artists) like the book The Game by Neil Strass or The Mystery Method by Mystery

They basically turned the social/communication aspects of life into a science. They pick up women but they teach you how to approach people, what to say, what not to say, etc etc. You can use their principles while performing for people.

Another area is NLP (nuero-linguistic programing)...I personally don't believe in it but you can look into it.
Thanks! But, if you don't mind, could you provide the names of those persuasion books as well? These are bound to come in handy somewhere as well.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
My suggestion would be that you get certified in Eriksonian Hypnosis if in fact, your vision is to be able to manipulate folks via conversation. In the interim, look at Kenton Knepper & J. Tank's Wonder Words in that the NLP type tactics outlined are potent tools when it comes to scripting a presentation (I'm not a huge fan of NLP but it wouldn't hurt to get familiar with the more legit side of the system. Understand, there are tons of money grabbing jokes out there that claim to teach NLP but don't, so ask questions. Rex Sykes, an associate of Kneppers' might be a good start)

Any and all Dale Carnegie books are still high on the list but the classic "How to Win Friends & Influence People" tops the list. Just because it's "old" don't mean it's lost value (btw. . . most all of the stuff that's more recent borrows directly from Mr. Carnegie's work)

Understanding the art of "Profiling" will likewise prove valuable for you in that it will help you to more quickly size a person up and know how best to approach them when it comes to an attempt to manipulate and control.

Dec 29, 2008
Colorado
I agree with Craig Browning...How to Win Friends and Influence People is a gold mine. Also look at John C. Maxwell's How Successful People Think, as well as Leadership 101. I might have a warpped view of magic, but it seems to be that the preformer must be the leader of the group to be the most effective preformer. And if you are in for the long haul, read Napolen Hill's The Law of Success, especially the chapter on "A Pleasing Personality." If you want to persuade people and situations, you must be trusted, confident, well spoken, and have an attractive personality. All qualities that can be learned and applied if you so choose too.

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
If I'm not mistaken "Psychological Subtleties" by Banachek covers aspects of persuasion. I was actually thinking about purchasing that book. Does anybody have any more info on it?

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results