Good close up pads with reasonable prices

May 12, 2019
Lynchburg Va
I know i recently posted asking about a deck of cards, but I've been searching for a good close up pad and haven't made any discoveries. I'm looking for a pad that has a solid base and is either red, green, or black. I'm also looking for it to be around 80 or less dollars. So far I've only been finding mouse pad like mats, but nothing of higher quality. If you have anything in mind please give a link.
Thanks a ton,

Philip

CWhite

Elite Member
Jul 22, 2016
You can buy a soft back pad for under $20, then go to your look Home Depot or Loews and pick up some wood to stick your pad to.
Your total would easily be under $40.

Reactions: Gabriel Z.
May 12, 2019
Lynchburg Va
I prefer plush mats over suede mats for cards, but that's just me:

https://www.pattricksmagic.com/magical-mats

Comes in hard back. There are different material choices but I much prefer his plush to his original fabric.
Those look pretty nice, thank you. I'm just looking for my first magic pad, so i've never felt the difference. They look very nice though.

You can buy a soft back pad for under $20, then go to your look Home Depot or Loews and pick up some wood to stick your pad to.
Your total would easily be under $40.
That sounds good, i've never been too great at diy things, but i'll still look into it. thanks!

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
I prefer plush mats over suede mats for cards, but that's just me:

https://www.pattricksmagic.com/magical-mats

Comes in hard back. There are different material choices but I much prefer his plush to his original fabric.
These are the BEST pads. I own the small folding one and will be buying more for my formal shows. They were selling like crazy at the last big convention I was at.

Reactions: DavidL11229

DavidL11229

Elite Member
Jul 25, 2015
Seattle
Those look pretty nice, thank you. I'm just looking for my first magic pad, so i've never felt the difference. They look very nice though.

That sounds good, i've never been too great at diy things, but i'll still look into it. thanks!
It depends on what you are trying to do. I like the plush mats better because I can more easily get my thumbs under the deck to lift the cards when shuffling. I spend a lot of time practicing tabled faros. I'm actually using a large hard backed suede mat on my lap, or with a pillow, and I put the plush mat on top of that. Sort of a combination of all of the above suggestions wrapped into one! The suede feels like I might like it for coins, but I haven't tried. I got it for the hard back so I still make use of it, just with the plush mat on top as well.

I have not tried Pattrick's hard backed mats but I have been very happy with his other products. His soft backed mats are reasonably priced and have an awesome rubber backing that will not slip on most surfaces. If you have some other hard surface you can use underneath that could work well too.

Get a large hardboard clipboard then figure out how to get the clip off, or accept that it's going to stay, and you're golden. Use some wood glue (elmers etc) if you want, but why? Though the board could still be slippery from underneath. This would be a reason to get one of the above, they will be engineered for use all the way around.

Easy hardboard:
https://www.amazon.com/11x17-Hardboard-Clipboard-Inches-649461/dp/B00O7TS85Y

many options, this is just an example. Search if you want to try this route. If your local home improvement store will cut the size you need just ask for 1/8" hardboard.

May 12, 2019
Lynchburg Va
It depends on what you are trying to do. I like the plush mats better because I can more easily get my thumbs under the deck to lift the cards when shuffling. I spend a lot of time practicing tabled faros. I'm actually using a large hard backed suede mat on my lap, or with a pillow, and I put the plush mat on top of that. Sort of a combination of all of the above suggestions wrapped into one! The suede feels like I might like it for coins, but I haven't tried. I got it for the hard back so I still make use of it, just with the plush mat on top as well.

I have not tried Pattrick's hard backed mats but I have been very happy with his other products. His soft backed mats are reasonably priced and have an awesome rubber backing that will not slip on most surfaces. If you have some other hard surface you can use underneath that could work well too.

Get a large hardboard clipboard then figure out how to get the clip off, or accept that it's going to stay, and you're golden. Use some wood glue (elmers etc) if you want, but why? Though the board could still be slippery from underneath. This would be a reason to get one of the above, they will be engineered for use all the way around.

Easy hardboard:
https://www.amazon.com/11x17-Hardboard-Clipboard-Inches-649461/dp/B00O7TS85Y

many options, this is just an example. Search if you want to try this route. If your local home improvement store will cut the size you need just ask for 1/8" hardboard.
Wow, that was really helpful. Thank you so much. As far as i've seen, Pattrick's mats are pretty good in price compared to other ones. I've seen things going around in dan and daves store and other stores as well that don't look to be quite as high quality and are almost triple the price. if i do get a mat i think i might get one from Pattrick due to the fact that you can get a servante on the back of the mat.
These are the BEST pads. I own the small folding one and will be buying more for my formal shows. They were selling like crazy at the last big convention I was at.
Thank you as well! His website doesn't seem to allow for reviews, so this was helpful. From what i hear he's pretty good.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Wow, that was really helpful. Thank you so much. As far as i've seen, Pattrick's mats are pretty good in price compared to other ones. I've seen things going around in dan and daves store and other stores as well that don't look to be quite as high quality and are almost triple the price. if i do get a mat i think i might get one from Pattrick due to the fact that you can get a servante on the back of the mat.

Thank you as well! His website doesn't seem to allow for reviews, so this was helpful. From what i hear he's pretty good.

He's an older gentleman with a bit of an outdated webpage but products are TOP NOTCH. I wouldn't steer you wrong. I promise. Ha Ha. These are the pads I use as well. Make sure you understand which surface/material you want as they are all a bit different.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results