Hard hitting card magic.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Never mind.. If you totally missed the point, I daresay the only card magic you'll be doing will be average.

Let me ask you a question. Do you really want hard hitting magic? Like, do you actually want to perform that stuff?

I'll assume you said yes. Re-read my post, learn from it. That's the only way you're going to be performing hard hitting magic anytime soon. Did Dan and Dave do that? You bet they did. Did Dai Vernon? Yessir. Did the old masters? All of them? Do the new ones? All of them. Even the really brilliant on YouTube, the guys with the most acclaimed videos, guys like Jordan Lapping, Ineski and Tony Chang, do they do what I said in the post? Look at Ineski's The Restless Lady for a brilliant example. You'd better believe they did, to get that good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 29, 2008
Singapore
Woah... long posts by praetoritevong. Sad to say, I agree that books are the way to go after an initial foray into magic.

I think I fall into the category of majority, who started from youtube and moving on to dvds. However, I am now moving back to books, as they seem to offer more technical subtleties that allow variables to be introduced into other effects. Dvds are good, but the effects are performed by the artists with their own style and technical abilities. The knowledge one gets from books will allow one to modify those effects in dvds and introduce an element of individualism into the effect, thus making it more personal and unique. Further, the technical knowledge thus acquired would allow one to improvise and possible develop newer techniques and sleights. As such, books are invaluable. Do consider getting into them.

Apr 27, 2008
Norway
missed whut point?? bieng averege? whaaaa? :confused::confused::confused:

*Sigh*

Rolleyes

Earsch was just a link to a search reform page I got here on the forums by searching 'Hard Hitting'. There literally dozens of pages.

Earsch = Search

Listen to praetoritevong, he has repeated himself over and over again, to the point where im considering writing a lengthy thread and begging for it to be a sticky exactly on this...'idea' that tricks are hard hitting. They aren't. You are.

Gustav

J

J:G

*Sigh*

Rolleyes

Earsch was just a link to a search reform page I got here on the forums by searching 'Hard Hitting'. There literally dozens of pages.

Earsch = Search

Listen to praetoritevong, he has repeated himself over and over again, to the point where im considering writing a lengthy thread and begging for it to be a sticky exactly on this...'idea' that tricks are hard hitting. They aren't. You are.

Gustav
WHAAAA? DUDE!:mad: it says, "Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms":rolleyes::mad::rolleyes:

J

*Sigh*

Rolleyes

Earsch = Search

Gustav
yeah well if you perform the worlds lamest trick ever that wouldn't really be "hard hitting" i am just looking for peoples opinions on the best/fav tricks....OK?:rolleyes:

Apr 27, 2008
Norway
Listen, J:G

The reason people like myself are beginning to become stiff with questions such as "Hard hitting tricks pleaz" or "okay, guys, which tricks are the best and get the best reaction?"

Such questions come from pure ignorance, and although I don't know you, i'm sure you'd rather not be ignorant. So - where are those tricks?

They're in you. Let us make an example of 'the worlds lamest trick'; huh?

I hear alot of people have something against a key card principle, they dissmiss it because it's old, simple - and they think everybody knows it.

You approach a spectator, and with an air of calmness, and a strong confident voice ask them if they perhaps would like to witness an experiment.
You ask them to take the deck as you hand it to them, and ask them to shuffle it, mix it - jumble them.

They handle the cards miserably, you may get a joke out of it - godness knows what you can do.

They give the deck up and in the action of an all-round square up (or the deck flip for those d&d people :rolleyes:) peek the bottom card. A seven of hearts. Casually tell them that you don't even want to touch the cards - hand them back the deck.

You ask the spectator to place the deck behind their back, and tell them to pull out any card they like, and simply place it on top of the deck. Tell them to bring their hand back, look at the card secretly, and leave it on top. Insturct them with a steady and confident, almost overpowering and entrancing voice to cut the deck so their card is buried in the middle of the deck.

You take back the deck, look through the cards, find their card - upjog it, look at them seriously - but replace it and take another card instead, whilst secretly palming, copping, or controlling their card to the top.

Marlo's add-on move (I believe) Is then used to place their selected card on top of the card you had miscalled, but this can be substitued by the lovely top change. Cut it to pieces, cast it off with an air of urgency, and place the pieces into the spectators cupped hand.

Ask for them to close it into a fist, and squeeze. "You will feel it...yes - feel it heat up..can you feel them heat up?" - hold their hand, look intot heir eyes. Show passion. Use common psychological surgery to suggest things to them, mysterious things - anything to add to the ambience and atmosphere you've worked up.

Blow on their hands - and tell them to open their hands.

Magic.

To a spectator, they shuffled the cards, chose one, you ripped up another one - and changed it in their hand.

If that had been the effect description in a $30 dollar dvd with Wayne Houchin's name on it (sake of argument Wayne - jus'cos you're popular;)) then people would have pounced on it, eaten it, taken it apart; only to be found in hapless dissapointment at the easy and old teaching.

What Im saying is, although people such as those of Theory11 and Ellusionist, and Penguin come up with brilliant, new effects - "hard hitting" - If you will; You can do the same - you can create magic with presentation.

Look at these two videos, the first from Reawaken Wonder - whose persona I tried to imagine when describing the above effect, and the second is from Sheldon Casavant.

Scott Smith
Sheldon Casavant

These performers could easily perform the afformentioned effect becuase they have charisma, passion for the art - and poetic persona's.

Im not asking you to change who you are, but rather asking you who you think spectator's want to bond with, to share such a special moment with?

Right now, I've taken perhaps one of the simplest effects or utility devices in sleight of hand, masqueraded it and truned it into something beautifull, ambiental - almost poetic.

So the magic is not in the effect. The magic, is you.

I hope I have made this situation, and myself, clear, in fact, I think I will try to make a sticky.

Gustav

J

The reason people like myself are beginning to become stiff with questions such as "Hard hitting tricks pleaz" or "okay, guys, which tricks are the best and get the best reaction?"

Such questions come from pure ignorance, and although I don't know you, i'm sure you'd rather not be ignorant. So - where are those tricks?

I hear alot of people have something against a key card principle, they dissmiss it because it's old, simple - and they think everybody knows it.

You approach a spectator, and with an air of calmness, and a strong confident voice ask them if they perhaps would like to witness an experiment.
You ask them to take the deck as you hand it to them, and ask them to shuffle it, mix it - jumble them.

They handle the cards miserably, you may get a joke out of it - godness knows what you can do.

They give the deck up and in the action of an all-round square up (or the deck flip for those d&d people peek the bottom card. A seven of hearts. Casually tell them that you don't even want to touch the cards - hand them back the deck.

You ask the spectator to place the deck behind their back, and tell them to pull out any card they like, and simply place it on top of the deck. Tell them to bring their hand back, look at the card secretly, and leave it on top. Insturct them with a steady and confident, almost overpowering and entrancing voice to cut the deck so their card is buried in the middle of the deck.

You take back the deck, look through the cards, find their card - upjog it, look at them seriously - but replace it and take another card instead, whilst secretly palming, copping, or controlling their card to the top.

Marlo's add-on move (I believe) Is then used to place their selected card on top of the card you had miscalled, but this can be substitued by the lovely top change. Cut it to pieces, cast it off with an air of urgency, and place the pieces into the spectators cupped hand.

Ask for them to close it into a fist, and squeeze. "You will feel it...yes - feel it heat up..can you feel them heat up?" - hold their hand, look intot heir eyes. Show passion. Use common psychological surgery to suggest things to them, mysterious things - anything to add to the ambience and atmosphere you've worked up.

Magic.

To a spectator, they shuffled the cards, chose one, you ripped up another one - and changed it in their hand.

If that had been the effect description in a $30 dollar dvd with Wayne Houchin's name on it (sake of argument Wayne - jus'cos you're popular;)) then people would have pounced on it, eaten it, taken it apart; only to be found in hapless dissapointment at the easy and old teaching.

What Im saying is, although people such as those of Theory11 and Ellusionist, and Penguin come up with brilliant, new effects - "hard hitting" - If you will; You can do the same - you can create magic with presentation.

Look at these two videos, the first from Reawaken Wonder - whose persona I tried to imagine when describing the above effect, and the second is from Sheldon Casavant.

Scott Smith
Sheldon Casavant

These performers could easily perform the afformentioned effect becuase they have charisma, passion for the art - and poetic persona's.

Im not asking you to change who you are, but rather asking you who you think spectator's want to bond with, to share such a special moment with?

Right now, I've taken perhaps one of the simplest effects or utility devices in sleight of hand, masqueraded it and truned it into something beautifull, ambiental - almost poetic.

I hope I have made this situation, and myself, clear, in fact, I think I will try to make a sticky.

Gustav

yes i completely agree with you.... i think that your magic depends on

trick - 25%
performance - 75%
you being you..............100%:D:):p

thanks for your help you have begun to open my eyes to new possibilities....

Nov 26, 2008
i do the basic 'know the bottom card, they replace their card and i cut the bottom on top of their card' occasionally. You say: "That trick is lame!". Thing is, i dress it up. I say I'm looking for a "tick". The specator focuses more on "Crap, don't tick, don't tick!" than "How is he doing that? When I pull out their card they say "how do you do that?" and people line up to try to beat the "mindreader". It's sleightless too =] people stop burning your hands.

In short, you make the tricks. I can't preform stigmata, frankly i hate the effect, people say it's "very visual and 'hard hitting'". I can't make it that way so i don't preform it.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia

They give the deck up and in the action of an all-round square up (or the deck flip for those d&d people :rolleyes:) peek the bottom card. A seven of hearts. Casually tell them that you don't even want to touch the cards - hand them back the deck.

Magic.

Scott Smith
Sheldon Casavant

Gustav

I think I'm in love.

Dec 29, 2008
Singapore
Just to make a point. I doubt there is any hard hitting tricks. For example, my partner in crime just can't perform Stigmata, although I get good reactions from it, while I am unable to perform Indecent, but he gets the "oh my god"s all the time. I think whether a trick is hard hitting or not really depends on the presentation of the artist.

Just my two cents.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Completely agreed. Although obviously, if you take a trick which is not well thought out, unoriginal and underdeveloped, you can't expect as much, what makes a trick hard hitting is the performer, not the trick.

Sep 2, 2007
If you want to learn some GENIUS impromptu card magic, look for ,"Card Control" by Arthur Buckley. It's brilliant, got it for christmas and the book is packed with sleights that I've seen no other magician do and there spectacular.

If you're serious about card magic get this book! Plus it's only like 9$

J

i know that i started this thread but...oh well. i just recently found trinity by jay sankey!
summed up in two words........awesomely awesome! and it comes with two different card handlings

beginerz handling: this is great for beginerz not really great for me and ALMOST impromptu
but not quite-3/5

intermediate handling: this is AWESOME! it is completely impromptu and the card can be signed!
5/5

overall: i give this trick a 4.5/5 its killer! its impromptu! and its only $5.00!

Sep 9, 2008
Philippines
Hey, just to tell you (I've heard a lot of this because I posted nearly the same thing and a person told me this), you'll have to just improve on performance, that's the key to hard hitting things. It's only like 20% in the material you use and 80% presentation which can change a small trick into something like a miracle. Well, to get back to topic, I would suggest you Believe by Joel Paschal and Indecent by W:H. Books aren't your type but I would highly recommend Card College by Robert Giobbi's Card College volume 1-5. It's your choice but that's what I think would be good.

-Niko T.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results