Help identifying card trick I've been thinking about for 25 years!

Aug 14, 2021
Hi all,

As the title suggests, I've been thinking on and off about a trick I saw 25 years ago that I really want to identify. I'll note that I'm not a professional magician , so perhaps the name of the effect or a similar one is common knowledge. If so, great, because I would love to finally wrap up all of this wondering.

I'll describe the trick as I saw it performed multiple times on the same day. Can anyone point me in the correct direction?

THE TRICK:

Magician spreads deck on table face up. The deck appears to be a full 52. At the very least, there are many different cards from each suit.

Magician asks multiple people (at least three) to look at any card and think of it. They are instructed to not tell anyone the card or give any verbal or physical indication of which card they've mentally selected.

Magician then goes one by one through the participants with something along these lines:

Magician: Participant 1, is your card a red ?

Participant 1: No.

Magician: OK, it's the four of clubs. (CORRECT)

Magician: Participant 2, your card is the jack of hearts (CORRECT).

Magician: Participant 3, is your card the seven of hearts?

Participant 3: No.

Magician: OK, then it's the ace of diamonds (CORRECT).

This was completely mind blowing for me and my friends who watched this. And because the magician (no famous performer - a guy hired for a girl's sweet sixteen) was there for hours, we followed him around and asked + got him to do the trick several times.

I'm not saying he nailed it every time like I describe above, but he had a very high hit rate and we couldn't see any pattern as to the cards that ended up being correct. It was truly amazing to everyone.

What's more, one time, a friend who was standing behind the magician the entire time and who was not invited to be part of the trick interjected, "Well what card am I thinking of?" and the magician nailed it.

I can also tell you with a high level of confidence that there were not stooges among the participants as this was a high school birthday party and we knew all the guests and it was the magician just walking around the venue, not posted up doing performances at a specific time. I got to be a part of the trick at least once and he got me.

So does anyone know what trick this would be? I'm glad to answer any questions as best as I can if you have any. I feel pretty confident about my recollection, since I've been asking magicians about it over the years (including a few at the magic castle). I'd love to finally track down this down. Thanks in advance!

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
As far as I'm aware, there isn't a marketed or published trick that is performed as you explained it. There are several ways to do something similar but each would involve additional steps not in your explanation or slightly (pun intended) different procedures. Simply put, the magician you saw performed was able to have you mis-remember what actually happened and forget the details that would provide a hint as to the method.

You have been given a true experience of wonder... enjoy it for what it is. The method will never live up to your memory.

Reactions: CWhite and JoshL8
Aug 14, 2021
Thanks for the response.

Yours is almost the conclusion that I've arrived at over the years (yet not fully, since I'm still searching). I've come across similar methods and that have extra steps or restrictions that make the effect less impressive.

That said, several of us talked about the experience in and the moment and immediately after. And, unlike with most performers, we got to see the trick probably five different times. I even just spoke with one of the old friends today about it (which is what prompted my finally trying to ask the internet rather than just search it). So it was a significant group delusion. And an entirely baffling one.

So I agree there must be something significant we missed each time, and I'll still like to try to unlock this puzzle. You mention there are several ways to do something similar. In your opinion, which would you say are the closest to what I describe?

Jan 2, 2016
California
The closest thing I can think of is the Mind Power Deck by John Kennedy. It doesn't sound exactly the same as the trick you described but it could be used to accomplish a similar effect and is a great trick nonetheless. Here's a very famous video of Derren Brown performing it: link

Reactions: Dustrod
Aug 14, 2021
Thanks, Antonio. I've looked at Mind Power while doing this search. Agree it's a great trick and has some common elements, but not similar enough to see how it could be converted to get from point A to the point B we experienced.

DavidL11229

Elite Member
Jul 25, 2015
Seattle
I have seen Banachek perform this type of effect though I don't know that he directly teaches it anywhere in his offerings. He does address the topic generally at times.

Also, see related 'think of any card' thread:

DavidL11229

Elite Member
Jul 25, 2015
Seattle
Thanks, David. I had reviewed that thread and am now looking more into Banachek.

Great. I'd just like to emphasize that the main takeaway from the other thread is hopefully:

"None of the methods work well as just a self contained trick you can learn without knowing much other magic. It's best to start learning magic in general and soon you will learn how close you can get to effect you are thinking of."

And in this case it's both magic and mentalism to delve into.

Having said that, there is one method from the other thread as well:

Expert Card Technique part 3, section 6, method 2.

I've seen this used successfully by a big name card magician.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results