Help me get Started

Apr 9, 2014
Can anyone please guide me? I've been doing magic for 6 months... It's not too much but I have come up with some ideas. How and where can i have them... I mean do I draw them on a notebook or something? Help me because i want to start creating my own tricks and I can't possibly remember each and every technique while I am trying to come up with new trick...

Colin

Elite Member
Jan 25, 2013
Get a blank journal and start writing things down. Look up MML by Alvo Stockman if you need some ideas on how to record your routines.

If you are only six months in though you should really focus on learning your fundamentals and working your way through books. Get a copy of Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic or volume one of Tarbell. Dover do a great line of classics for cheap so you can build a basic library without spending a lot of money.

At six months in you shouldn't be too concerned about inventing new things, you will soon discover that a lot of this ideas already exist. Experiment with different areas as well. You may think that card tricks are the coolest but you might have a talent for cups & balls work, or coins, rope, mental magic etc so learn about everything so you know where to focus your attention.

Recording ideas is always smart but master the basics before you try to come up with the next killer release.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Notebooks are going to be your friend. Lots and lots of notebooks. I have one where I write my general ideas, one where I keep records of my hypnotism ideas and sessions, one for trying to draw things out, etc. I don't think there's anything wrong with trying to invent tricks right away - just understand that 99% of your ideas are going to be junk (Everyone's are) and 99% of those that are not junk have already been created by someone else. If you go into it knowing that - then it's just a creative exercise which will help you be more creative along the way.

I've made tons of tricks, and out of all of them only 39 are actually good. I have actually never used a notepad for inventing tricks. That's because I only try to work on one trick at a time. When I first come up with an idea for a trick the ending result is a lot different than what I originally wanted (probably because I don't use a notepad). I do sometimes draw out an idea on paper, but it usually ends up to be junk. So what works best for me is once I have an idea don't stop working on it until it is perfect. Of course, different things work for different people, that's just the way I do it.

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
I like writing down the effect from the spectators point of view and play with it for a while, if it's not good I let it go and come back to my description of the effect later and try to work a method from scratch. If I have learned a new move or been working on completely different ideas a new method (that actually works) will occasionally appear out of nowhere for the effect (which may have been secretly mulling in my sub-conscious mind)

I also have tons of sticky note/napkin/scrap paper writings/drawings that help my disorganized mind find help with tricks.

My last piece of advice is get a white board and/or a cork board. You can technically use a mirror or any glass with dry erase markers. Writing things on a board so you can see them every day is as helpful as writing them in a notebook for me.

And no matter what do magic that you enjoy doing - don't do card tricks because everyone else does - if you want to pull rabbits out of hats find an entertaining presentation and I'll buy a ticket to the show.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results