Help with a magic routine

Jul 26, 2013
Hey guys, first post here.

Anyways, I was working on a short routine, maybe 10 - 15 minutes or so, and had the following:

Out of this World - I use this as my opening quite often, as it gets them involved and interested as well as being a killer effect. Also, the set-up can just be there from the start.

Grasshopper (Paul Harris) - The four aces are easy to locate at the end of Out of this World, as I like to make to spreads with the cards face-up; seems to give me a better reaction than just giving them to the spectator to inspect ( which is how I learnt it originally), so the movement from one trick to the next is clean. I use (if the audience is right) a sci-fi type patter here, something like Michael Ammar's. Its a snappy trick (which contrasts with the previous one), but has a nice effect. Also, there are few sleights and at points where the spectator isn't really staring at your hands.

Twisting the Aces (Dai Vernon) - nothing much to say here; lovely trick, with a smooth method (from more inner secrets) and continues nicely from Grasshopper

Here is where I get a bit more unsure:

I would like to continue with a trick which is more spectator oriented, as the past two aren't terribly interactive. I usually continue with a;

Two Card Monte (David Blaine- I think) - Prep is easy as you already have the two red aces (so I only need to find the two black queens) and it is, by contrast, done in their hands and has a real show-stopping effect.

I think that after that, I need only a final trick, and currently I'm working on Darwin Ortiz's The Unholy Three, as its an incredible effect, but you need two decks and three helpers so I thought maybe something else.

If anyone has any suggestions for the final trick or anything else, don't hesitate

In terms of difficulty, The Unholy Three would be towards the top end of stuff I can do and my Palm is really bad so i'd prefer not to use it.

P.S. sorry for the long post.

Thanks in advance!

Sep 16, 2012
Israel
I must say that the effets you chose are really great and another effect you can do is the Heritage by Daniel Madison - it kills and it's with the audience (setup is extremely easy). If you can find Dee Christopher's 50/20 it's also an awesome routine and a very simple, straight-forward one.

In the end, most of these effects are simple -pattern speaking- and I think you should add a routine that can leave your audience with something to think about. Just my opinion. Hope I helped.

Mar 22, 2013
Munich / Germany
Your routine is really nice and well thought out - I like it!

A nice ending would be a Multiple Selection Routine. It involves all your spectators and you
can play with the length, ...

If you want something your audience can think about after the "show", as Zvik said, you could
add a Card to Bottle effect to the Multiple Selection Routine. That's a great souvenir...

If you want to learn more about MS Routines, I highly recommend the Multiple Revelation Project by Andy Gladwin
and Rob James...

Hope that helps!

- Konrad

Last edited by a moderator:

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
What is your theme? While you do have the prop-transition of using 4 aces a few times, what theme are you using to tie these together? All I see is a trail of tricks. Which is probably why you're having trouble coming up with what to do next.

Jul 26, 2013
A nice ending would be a Multiple Selection Routine. It involves all your spectators and you
can play with the length,

The Unholy Three is a trick in which 3 spectators select cards - so Multiple Selection

Otherwise I was thinking of the Michael Vincent - Many Faces of a Woman, but modified so that it uses the aces - which would tie the theme together and allow for some nice patter.

I must say that the effets you chose are really great and another effect you can do is the Heritage by Daniel Madison - it kills and it's with the audience (setup is extremely easy). If you can find Dee Christopher's 50/20 it's also an awesome routine and a very simple, straight-forward one.

Thanks, i'll take a look at these.

Thanks for all the help guys!

Jul 8, 2012
I personally would not open with Out of This World. It's a great trick, and it does involve the spectator, but there is just so much procedure before the big payoff. If this is your first thing people see you do, they might be bored. They also have no idea if the procedure is worth the time. I think it would be better to open with something else, then do Out of this World.

Sep 1, 2007
What is your theme? While you do have the prop-transition of using 4 aces a few times, what theme are you using to tie these together? All I see is a trail of tricks. Which is probably why you're having trouble coming up with what to do next.

This was followed immediately by this:

The Unholy Three is a trick in which 3 spectators select cards - so Multiple Selection

Otherwise I was thinking of the Michael Vincent - Many Faces of a Woman, but modified so that it uses the aces - which would tie the theme together and allow for some nice patter.

Thanks, i'll take a look at these.

Thanks for all the help guys!

I think we've identified the problem.

Apr 6, 2011
Lansing, MI
Unless you are a particularly entertaining human being, I have to agree that opening with out of this world is a bad idea. Ending with out of this world isn't a terrible idea. You should also consider 82 by DM, but if you do that, I'd drop out of this world out of your routine entirely, as they both have a lot of process. 82 is a good closer though because it is just mind boggling, especially at the end of a routine.

Jul 22, 2013
California
Unless you are a particularly entertaining human being, I have to agree that opening with out of this world is a bad idea. Ending with out of this world isn't a terrible idea. You should also consider 82 by DM, but if you do that, I'd drop out of this world out of your routine entirely, as they both have a lot of process. 82 is a good closer though because it is just mind boggling, especially at the end of a routine.
Where can I find this effect? Not only can I not find it for sale online, there is not even anything describing the trick when I Google it. I looked up 82 and Daniel Madison eight different ways, and I couldn't find it.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results