Help with Pass

Jun 29, 2009
Hahaha very nice post, you obviously did your homework. I am suddenly much better at the pass, of course not performance worthy, but i'm getting there and i'm very patient because it is getting smoother.

I still don't do it quick enough to have it look like both packets were never moved. In other words, i can always see the bottom packet slide on top, or the top packet move to the bottom (i'm practicing both of those passes). Any tips for not seeing the packets move?

Other than the initial moving of the top packet or the ending of the bottom packet sliding on, my pass is pretty covered. It still makes lots of sounds due to squeezing and lack of control, but i'm not worried about those two because i am both aware of them and aware of the fact that in time i will have more control. Hell i just learned the pass recently.

Thanks for everything, both of you.

EDIT:

this is how i make my pass invisible: i take the top half, and toss it onto the bottom half and i simultaneously do the pass it looks just like you are just taking the top half and toss it on the bottom half, they never see the pass u know that big action lil action thing....it helps...

Video of what you're talking about? I think i get it, but i am not sure.

Jul 8, 2008
it is getting smoother
Hahahaha that's what she said lol.

As to your other question, no pass is completely invisible, like I said. So don't worry too much about having it perfect, because you should be able to cover it up with misdirection somehow. You kind of answered your own question in that post lol. The reason you are having trouble is because you lack the control, so once you work on that and follow my tips on control, you will eventually have it all controlled. Just test different speeds, angles, and covers and then you will just need to work with what feels and looks right to you. You could post up a video if you actually do want other's advice, but it sounds like you know what you are doing.

good luck!

Jun 29, 2009
Thank you. I hope one day it does look as good as yours, and i'm sure with practice it will, i just need to work on it lol.

When you first started the pass, how long did it take you to do a decent pass?

Jul 8, 2008
Thank you quickshoot. No my little brother was playing wii sports in the background hahah. When I started serious sleight of hand, I read a TERRIBLE description of the pass and I worked off of the wrong method for about a year. Then I found Card College and read the description in there and figured out what I was doing wrong and worked on correcting my mistake for about a month, and then another year before I got it up to performance standards. after that time, I discovered the other forms of passes, such as the one shown here. And then after that I started researching and doing serious study on the pass and worked on that pretty much for about a year and a half. So in total, it took me about 3 years to get where I am today and to gather ALL of my knowledge on the pass. Thanks.

LukeDancy

theory11 artist + consultant, Criss Angel MindFrea
Sep 18, 2007
Las Vegas
The pass is one of those things you mess around with time and time again refining it as you go. Remember to focus on being smooth so the move feels "soft" when doing it.

I've talked to JB about doing a 1 on 1 on the pass and maybe a couple of variations on it. Let's hope it works out so we can be pass freaks together! Haha, keep on passin on.

l u k e

Jun 29, 2009
The pass is one of those things you mess around with time and time again refining it as you go. Remember to focus on being smooth so the move feels "soft" when doing it.

I've talked to JB about doing a 1 on 1 on the pass and maybe a couple of variations on it. Let's hope it works out so we can be pass freaks together! Haha, keep on passin on.

l u k e

That would be a great idea. I would be a customer.

Sep 1, 2007
New Zealand
I think you need to ask yourself,

"If I were a spectator and I saw a magician do that move, would I be suspicious?"

I think the answer would be yes. I think that for most people an "invisible pass" is out of the question. Mainly people dont want to put in the YEARS AND YEARS of practice it takes to master one. So heres my tried and tested advice to you friend.

For me, there is two types of passes that I will do.

If I am performing to one or two people, it's a simple matter of meeting their gaze and talking to them as I execute the sleight. Flies right by.

Then there is a group performance where I will use a covering action as I complete the pass, just because I cannot ensure that people will all be misdirected at the same time.

The reason my blatant uncovered pass works is because there is NO movement in my hands, wrists or arms. It's all done with minimal finger movement. There is nothing for them to see. So what I would suggest is that you get rid of that huge covering action. It's not helping anyone. Practice just getting the packets to shift and coalesce without much movement. Get the action down smooth. When you can do a pass without thinking, looking, concentrating and it's smooth and quick, then you can work on applying the covering action to your pass.

I know it's cliche but you've got to learn to walk before you can run.

But hey, I know you can do it!

Jun 22, 2009
sarnia Ont. Canada
I agree with Tally-Ho it doesn't matter how long you practice unless you have a good learning source (card college 4) . Sometimes magicians use the pass to show off their skill to other magicians and not for the better of the trick. So try to get a good source and practice until your hands fall off. hope this was helpful
Ibmagic13

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results