How do I figure out if a trick I came up with has been performed before?

Nov 24, 2021
I came up with an effect and I want to know how to figure out if it's actually original or not. Thanks!

JoshL8

Elite Member
Aug 5, 2017
WA state USA
Neato, congrats. The ”effect” is original? Or the way you do the effect? Even if you didn’t come up with something original there is some validation in independently coming to ideas other performers have. To find out if it’s original or not you’re going to have to show someone sometime….Do you have a mentor or know some seasoned magicians or hobbyists? Maybe a local IBM ring could help you.

Short of that you can make an un searchable video on YouTube and show it to a few knowledgable people you might find here. You don’t need to show the inner workings, especially at first. Show a performance only.

Other than asking experienced people you could comb thru similar effects and compare methods, you can start looking in the Conjuring Archive.

Nov 24, 2021
no, sadly. I'm self taught and don't live by a magic shop or anything LOL. Who do you maybe know that might be willing to take a look at the video?
also I really appreciate you taking the time to make this reply. It really means a lot to me!

JoshL8

Elite Member
Aug 5, 2017
WA state USA
Its the holidays in the USA so some of the usual suspects on these forums might be occupied for a bit. If you are learning on your own it’s likely you are reinventing the wheel as you go. Its a fairly safe bet that what you have discovered has been done before. You could always post a performance and ask for critiques.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
@MrM3511, there is very little in magic that is original. Most of it is adaptations and variations of something previously developed. To find out something is original, you need to have a good education in magic, know how to do magic research and have the resources, such as books, to actually do the research. Although I'm no expert, I'd be glad to look at a description or performance of the effect (with our without the method revealed) and let you know if I'm aware of anything that has been previously published.

Nov 24, 2021
Alright, I might just do that, would you be willing to take a look? Also happy thanksgiving!!

Nov 24, 2021
Ok I really appreciate It! For something to be actually original does it have to be the effect or method that's original?

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
@MrM3511 I'd be glad to take a look (although it may take some time to get back to you since I'm away from my magic library for the weekend).

I would consider something original if is an original method, an adaptation of an existing method, an original combination of methods into an effect or original application of an existing method.

Nov 24, 2021
So like If I have a strike double lift in my performance, that wouldn't automatically make it not original would it?

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results