How do you begin?

Dec 5, 2016
Tennessee
tjfritts.com
There's really only one aspect of magic I've struggled with. Yes, the sleights are a work-in-progress and likely always will be, but what's really hanging me up is the first ten seconds. Not of the trick, but of the entire experience.

What sort of "intro" lines do you guys commonly use? I've been relying on "I've been working on something and I'd love to hear what you think about it, will you help me?" operating on the general theory that it's always better to ask engaging questions rather than presenting statements. (Plus, someone who will say yes once is more conditioned to do so again.) The caveat for me is that it feels a lot like a line better suited to a beginner rather than someone who at least knows part of what they're doing.

I'd love to develop a quiver of "lines" that I could use for street work that 1, don't immediately trigger a "stranger danger" alert response, 2, don't paint me as a rookie who is trying out a trick he read about a half hour ago, 3, makes me seem a little more interesting than I actually am. Not really looking to portray myself as some sort of mystic but at the same time, I'm getting tired of projecting the vibe that every time I do my opener effect, I'm seemingly performing it for the first time in front of anyone.

Jun 13, 2013
Ha! I suck at patter. In my mind I'm thinking, "Ok, wanna see a trick with cards? Here are the cards, here's the trick, done." Which is really odd for me because I'm really good at meeting new people and really good with small talk. However, when it comes to applying that to performing a trick... I'm all marbles in the mouth.

Jul 5, 2016
Texas
Dude if you figure anything out let me know. I stink at intros. Usually when I perform for people it is only one or two tricks (I am a practicing street magician) so I don't need too complex of a story line. Most of the time I just walk up and say something along the lines of "Hello, my name is Kole (hence the name Elok, it's just my name backwards but it sounds more magical) and I am a magician. Would you guys be interested in seeing some magic.

Other times I try and make a joke or start with a little story of something... idk like I said I am horrible when it comes to talking with strangers.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
It's really situational. A simple formula to remember when introducing yourself in casual/walk around situations is CQI. Compliment, Question, Introduction. "Hey, you folks look like the interesting group here. Would you like to experience something really odd? My name is Christopher, I'm a witch doctor."

For parlor or stage, my "introduction" is a slightly extended moment of silence, followed by introducing myself. The silence creates a bit of tension, then the introduction turns that into intrigue.

I've said things like this a lot - think about your character, and simply introduce yourself as if you were an actor playing that character. Pretend you really are the character, then pretend you're not pretending.

Oct 19, 2015
I really like the idea of CQI....my favorite opening question is "Do you believe in magic"! I look around the audience asking specific kids that question (maybe 2 or three). And as I ask, I am performing a rope trick.....or two. My magic is focused on Kids and Family.....

Reactions: Maverick85
Jan 7, 2017
I have been busking with magic for about 6 years and it really depends on the situation. If you are trying to grab their attention as they are walking by, I will usually say "Hello, would you like to see a magic trick?" and do a flourish. It's very straight-forward, but it works. If you are walking up to people who are sitting down or standing around, I would recommend introducing yourself first and taking more time on your line.

Sep 13, 2014
I'm an extrovert and charismatic and I don't rehearse "patter". I just go with the flow mostly. Don't have a character as the character is me. Never been a fan of canned lines either (mostly cause I can't memorize them ha ha). But these openings seem to work for me. I don't do card tricks so your mileage may vary:

- When I was in college I would mention it was for an assignment.

- I mostly perform these days in bars with friends around so I'll do something that involves items on the table. Along the lines of "check this out/watch this"

- If it's a coin trick or money trick (can't do those anymore where I live though) I'd ask if they dropped the coin or I'd mention free money if they had some spare time (they kept the coin at the end).

- I'd often entertain at the store/bank if it's a long line and make small talk then mention how I pass the time in line like this and go into a trick.

- I never ever (OK rarely) tell them I will perform a magic trick. As it sets them up for trying to figure it out in advance, plus they know what to expect (something out of the ordinary).

- People are often in a hurry (in some countries) so I try to keep the trick quick. I also thank them BEFORE I start. If often carry small items to hand out afterwards depending on the audience and if they were a good audience (e.g. candy, country specific items, business cards, lottery ticket...etc.)

- Being attractive and not dressed like a hobo helps too.

- I don't think a card opener attracts people. Layman have seen many card tricks and most have an opinion already formed as soon as they see the deck. Once you've proven to be entertaining after the first or second trick then go with the card trick. But that's just my opinion so feel free to take it or leave it.

- Confidence! You can have the best opening line but if you aren't confident in saying it most people aren't going to buy into the performance.

- Cultural norms matter. A straight forward approach in Japan won't work. Money tricks will offend and possibly get you arrested in Thailand. My point is don't assume the same opening line or trick is one size fits all.

- When I was much younger and starting out I'd have fake crowds by having friends be the cheering crowd. This attracted more people as it's human nature to be curious.

- When I was younger than the above I'd always have an audience as being in the military there was a lot of downtime to entertain others. Worst case scenario I'd order the E-1's to either watch a performance or clean the head. ha ha

ProAma

Elite Member
Jun 13, 2013
A lot of this advice REALLY irks me. Yes there is no such thing as an incorrect way to do things but when it comes to dealing with people many of you are going about it the wrong way. Everything is situational. You do not intro with "do you want to see a magic trick?". Ever. You do not begin with a card trick. You be a human and a conversationalist. Not some weirdo which is what I am hearing here mostly.

Jan 31, 2015
I never tell them I'll do a magic trick. I usually do a Blaine approach and say "You want to see something cool? Real quick?" That will usually get them to watch.

Dec 5, 2016
Tennessee
tjfritts.com
Thanks to all for the replies and I'm sorry I didn't get back to the thread. Had I known I'd log a few days in hospital I'd have delayed my posting. :)

You've all given me a lot to think about and digest and I thank you for that.

Thanks to all for the replies and I'm sorry I didn't get back to the thread. Had I known I'd log a few days in hospital I'd have delayed my posting. :)

You've all given me a lot to think about and digest and I thank you for that.
Hope your feeling better man! Sending good vibes your way.

For street magic, I definitely have a different approach then stage or parlor. Half the time there is a camera with me so that in itself presents a whole new etiquette when dealing with strangers. I'm going to assume you won't have a DSLR camera with a boom mic following you around so I'll go with my regular approach. First, I'll ask people if I can have a moment of their time and introduce myself and explain that I'm a street magician and that I would like to perform for them. After that, I'll ask if they have a few minutes to let me perform for them. Once I have their consent I will then try to direct the attention on them by asking their names, occupations, where they are from, etc. From there I try to wrap in whatever information I obtained in with my opener effect.

Example: "Oh you are from New Orleans? You know I once met a witch doctor from New Orleans and he taught me this amazing thing with this voodoo doll." Then you could proceed to go with the rising voodoo doll trick if it's your opener. I will often use custom decks as story plots like I use Shadowmasters as a story plot that I picked up a cursed deck from a Santeria dealer. Or I'll use the Love Me deck to incorporate the story of an ex girlfriend.

It's all about meeting people about where they are at in life and trying to connect with them. If you do that it won't feel awkward. Another pro tip, don't ever feel or think you are being awkward because the moment your audience notices you feel awkward the whole thing is ruined and they will all see it as awkward from that point on. If you are confident with your approach and sincere with your intent, you will have them smiling and laughing in no time. Best of luck!

Feb 18, 2015
Dude if you figure anything out let me know. I stink at intros. Usually when I perform for people it is only one or two tricks (I am a practicing street magician) so I don't need too complex of a story line. Most of the time I just walk up and say something along the lines of "Hello, my name is Kole (hence the name Elok, it's just my name backwards but it sounds more magical) and I am a magician. Would you guys be interested in seeing some magic.

Other times I try and make a joke or start with a little story of something... idk like I said I am horrible when it comes to talking with strangers.

O my gosh! Thats exactly what I say! EXACTLY what I say... Kole's think alike...

Maverick, I would suggest you do a David Blaine approach with your personality. Just go ahead and ask, "Would you like to see something cool?" or "Would you like to see some magic?" and then do a quick trick such as a fire wallet or Extreme Burn, etc.

Reactions: Maverick85 and Elok
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results