How do you feel about pyschological forces?

Dec 23, 2007
Florida :[
I always steered away from psychological forces because i always thought i would fail and it would never work and all that jazz. But like an hour ago i was reading a Daniel Madison book (That guy is amazing) and he showed me how he would force the seven of hearts. So im like, yeah that wont ever work, but im bored so ill give it a try. So i tried it, i placed a card down then told them my patter and stuff, then i asked them to name a card. When they said "seven of hearts", i was completely amazed, maybe even more then them when they revealed it to be there card, but i doubt it. I was so surprised it actually worked so easy. I know it was my first time but after this it definitely won't be my last.

Have you guys ever had experiences like this with psychological forces?

Edit: I feel stupid, i misspelled the title :[

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 25, 2008
Michigan
With me, it's about 50/50. Then again, I dont do it a lot. I have probably tried a psychological force about 25 times in my life, and I dont keep track but it only worked 10-15 times. That's good enough for me though. When it does work you get awesome reactions, when it doesnt I pull out my invisible deck and get awesome reactoins so it's kind of a win win situation. As long as you have an out, I see no reason to be afraid of a force like that.

Besides that it's like being inside their brain, I love the feeling I get when I ninja someones mind and make them think of the card I wanted them to.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Everyone has thoughts like that about psychological forces.

Some key points:

1) If you think you'll fail - if you lack conviction, you probably will.

2) If you're scared to use them because they could fail, you have the wrong mindset for psychological forces and a LOT of mentalism. Simply put, you gotta have balls to pull some of that stuff off. If you're ever disappointed that a psychological method isn't 100%, or if you don't like the idea of failing, if you're concerned about finding outs for every single possibility - just don't do it, you're not cut out for it.

3) Think about this. The reason a lot of people don't want to use psychological forces is in case we fail, right? Because if we fail, that's a bad thing. But what if failing wasn't bad? What if failing meant nothing at all? Shrug it off, keep going with whatever you want from there. Go into another trick. It doesn't matter at all. If it doesn't matter, there's no reason we should be afraid of failing.

I generally find that if I'm sleepy, tired, otherwise not aware, alive and awake, I won't hit. So do make sure you're connecting with your audiences well. All I can really say though is that you're doing well, you've gotten a good start. Actually, it's not easy, as you'll find out in a few more tries - it's a lot of work picking the right people to do the forces on and increasing your accuracy, but it sure is fun, and it's a great effect. I've hit things I never thought I'd hit, I've made mistakes by being too obvious, I've totally and utterly missed lots and lots of times - but that's alright. Keep it up, it's worth it.

Jan 11, 2009
USA (S.C.)
Card Force

This type of card force is tricky but very effective and most all the time has worked for me. I would normally steer away from them for impromptu magic but if I want to do something absolutely amazing it good to use a force like your talking about. It allows them to pick a card that is not in the deck even, and you could have the real one at any location and appear any time. It has the advantage of having complete control of the situation without sweating a hard slight of hand. If you go this route with card forcing then you can truly achieve the impossible.

Oct 2, 2008
UK
Jinai.deviantart.com
It works when the spectator's mind isnt scattered around. Normally when i do effects like that, when i know the spectator is listening, comfortably indulging in my words, then there is a large chance it will hit. If its opposite then you can know the outcome.

I like to do these forces when i've gotten the spectator(s) all warmed up after a few effects, sometimes i take a risk and end my performance if for a large group with a psycho force. If it works, its killer, but its risky.

BTW, what book of dM's were you reading?

Dec 23, 2007
Everyone has thoughts like that about psychological forces.

Some key points:

1) If you think you'll fail - if you lack conviction, you probably will.

2) If you're scared to use them because they could fail, you have the wrong mindset for psychological forces and a LOT of mentalism. Simply put, you gotta have balls to pull some of that stuff off. If you're ever disappointed that a psychological method isn't 100%, or if you don't like the idea of failing, if you're concerned about finding outs for every single possibility - just don't do it, you're not cut out for it.

3) Think about this. The reason a lot of people don't want to use psychological forces is in case we fail, right? Because if we fail, that's a bad thing. But what if failing wasn't bad? What if failing meant nothing at all? Shrug it off, keep going with whatever you want from there. Go into another trick. It doesn't matter at all. If it doesn't matter, there's no reason we should be afraid of failing.

I generally find that if I'm sleepy, tired, otherwise not aware, alive and awake, I won't hit. So do make sure you're connecting with your audiences well. All I can really say though is that you're doing well, you've gotten a good start. Actually, it's not easy, as you'll find out in a few more tries - it's a lot of work picking the right people to do the forces on and increasing your accuracy, but it sure is fun, and it's a great effect. I've hit things I never thought I'd hit, I've made mistakes by being too obvious, I've totally and utterly missed lots and lots of times - but that's alright. Keep it up, it's worth it.

Great post man that helped a lot. and to Shakutau, i was reading the fine scripture. Its an amazing book and i recommend it to everyone.

Sep 20, 2008
bit off topic- but whats that PDF called by madison? where that card is forced?

has he got any PDF's concerning psychological forces?

Dec 23, 2007
As I said in my previous post, its called the fine scripture. There's only one effect in there were you psychologically force a card, its not really based on that. There's also a lot more to the effect I did but I only did the force. For the effect though you can force any card, but he gives you a way to force the 7 of hearts.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results