How old were you...

May 16, 2008
How old were you when you first started practicing magic and/or flourishing? How old were you at the time of your first public performance (not including friends and family)?

Jan 4, 2008
I got interested when i was 9 and used the good old svengali deck :D. Then at age 10 i really got into it and started learning new stuff and entered into Grand Illusions store. Thats when it started. I am now 14 about to be 15.

Mar 25, 2008
Arkansas
I started learning magic when I was 8.
I did my first public performance in the school talent show when I was in third grade. I lost some of my props between backstage and the curtain. It was traumatic.

Oct 17, 2007
SG
I started learning magic at the age of 25. Late bloomer of sorts.

I gave my first public performance 4 months later. DO NOT follow my example.

I'm 28/29 now, and I perform restaurant magic fairly often.

May 16, 2008
I started learning magic at the age of 25. Late bloomer of sorts.

I gave my first public performance 4 months later. DO NOT follow my example.

I'm 28/29 now, and I perform restaurant magic fairly often.

:) Thank you for this. I just started really trying to learn magic/flourishing not too long ago and I am 21 right now. I didn't want to admit it because I thought everyone would be a lot younger than me. haha.

Feb 10, 2008
I was probably 8 when I started. Doing shows at 10 (people love a little kid that can do magic...the same way they like monkeys that wear clothes). :)

Dropped out of it by the time I was 15. Big mistake. I regret it the way people regret not continuing to take piano lessons. Other people can weigh in on this, but in my experience this stuff isn't like riding a bike. Even though you mentally remember how to do a sleight, you can't just pick it back up years later.

I'm about to turn 34 and I started back up a little over a year ago. I think muscle memory only goes so far, and this stuff is a little too fine for your muscles to remember. It's been like learning it as if I could never do it. So fellas (and gals), trust me on this. Stick with it. Heck, I wish I could play piano too. :)

I'll also say this. I knew there were a lot of younger folks on here (how to handle performing at school, or best tricks for school are popular threads), but I didn't realize quite how many. And I have to say, I've read numerous posts by many of you that are under 16 and never in a million years would it have occurred to me that you were anywhere near that young. That's a testament to your (in general) maturity (and writing skills). So kudos to you guys.

And seriously, keep doing magic. I promise you that 15 years from now you'll be very, very happy that you did.

:) Thank you for this. I just started really trying to learn magic/flourishing not too long ago and I am 21 right now. I didn't want to admit it because I thought everyone would be a lot younger than me. haha.

Then you must love me. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
May 14, 2008

Thanks from me aswell!I was going to start a thread like this but because im a beginner at 19 and i found out, suprisingly, that majority of these members are quite young, i didnt want to post my age.

Credit to the young guys and girls for showing so much maturity as Samyjankis said.

I supose its never too late to learn the beautiful art of magic and cardistry!

Feb 10, 2008
Trust me, it's never too late (and also trust me that most people would still consider you quite young...no disrespect intended). But like anything, a language, an instrument, the earlier in life you start, the better. If I ever have kids, I'm going to speak to them in at least two languages from birth, stick a deck of cards in their hands as soon as they're old enough to hold them, and they won't find out till they're 16 that playing the piano isn't part of your driving test (not sure about that last one, but hey you never know, it might work). :)

May 23, 2008
i started last year at 11 im now 12 almost 13 and its pretty great, i dont really do public performances though...too shy except for my grandparents lol

Aug 31, 2007
Long Island/New York
Funny story, I actually started in the womb, just flourishing simple stuff, like Jackson 5 with my cards.
I did a cut and restore with my umbilical cord. I knew I had a knack for it.
The doctor was impressed.
:D

I've been interested in magic since I was 5 when my Uncle showed me his trick where he took his finger off his hand and I saw his bone.
I started magic when I was 7 or 8, just starting with a magic kit.
I didn't get serious though until I was 12 and bought decent tricks and performed them well. I'm 18 now, and still practicing everyday.

May 14, 2008
Yeah i do consider myself quite young at 19, but as you hear from most people, they had an interest or started really young. Ive just been interested in it for the past few years but only just practised it............and its brilliant!

But i no what you mean tho it isnt to late at any time!

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
I'm fifteen (and a half, if you want to get specific), and I've been doing this since I was ten. So five and a half years.

Mar 3, 2008
Sweden
I think I was 15 when a friend of mine showed me some magic, and then he he teached me some card tricks. Then I got into magic. I'm 17 now, recently I got into flourishing. I just love magic, and it's fun to flourish when you take it seriusly too. :)

Feb 10, 2008
Wow, now I'm starting to think that EVERYONE on here is pretty young (and boy am I starting to feel old). :)

Again, good for you guys.

I wish there had a been a community and resource like this when I was in my mid-teens. I probably would have stuck with it. Good to see so many teens on here cheering each other on. It's actually kind of amazing.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results