How To Get Gigs and Keep Clients: Part 5

Chapter 5. Marketing: Interviewing For Success!

Chapter 5. Marketing: Interviewing for Success

When you schedule a date to interview with a potential client and demonstrate for them your 5 minute audition you have obviously gone to great lengths to get in the front door with a client, so you don’t want to blow it in the interview. I will let you in on a secret, companies couldn’t care any less on who you are or what skills you have. The only thing they care about is what you will do for them! Is that really selfish? Maybe, but if you fail to outline, underline, bold, and highlight that very important point in your presentation then you’ve wasted your time and theirs. Your interview should go through six different phases.
1. Who You Are
2. What You Will Do For Them
3. Your Past Experience
4. Demonstration of Skill
5. Price Quote
6. Close Them!

Lets break those steps down. Step One: Who You Are. This is your introduction statement. Who are you as an individual as well as a magician. This shouldn’t be a long statement but an informative one. When you deliver it the client needs to say to themselves: “All right, I’m on board to invest ten more minutes of my time with you.”
Example: “Greetings. I am William Draven, Expert Magician.”

Step Two: What You Will Do For Them is critical. This is where you need to focus on outlining how your magic will do three very critical things for their business. 1) Increase business traffic during key hours 2) Promote brand awareness through exciting, interactive, and fun events structured around the presentation of magic, and 3) Increase the amount of business done during the event. Now if you are performing for a Private Party or Lounge, maybe a club these three values will be different. It’s important that you understand your client and what motivates them to hire a magician. If it’s Aunt Libby’s 50th birthday party then those three goals may be: 1_ Insure everyone at the party has a great time, 2_ Put on an event that will be remembered and cherished for years to come, and 3_ Make Aunt Libby feel special, loved, and queen of the world for a day. Sometimes there will be more than just three key points you’ll want to highlight. For instance when working Trade Shows on top of the three big points I outlined above another thing they will want you to do is address Key Notes about the company or product. Just make sure to do your homework, outline the things the client will want to know, and answer any questions they may have.

Step Three is to identify why this client would want to spend money to hire you. You want to build value in yourself, so when you get to the price quote and negotiation phase you’ll be justified to ask the amount you will charge them. Present them with your Promotional Material at this time. Let them read your testimonials, highlight anything you feel would help you. Focus on any past experience you’ve had that is pertinent to the type of business you are interviewing with. Be it Restaurants, Trade Shows, or Birthday Parties.

Step Four is your 5 Minute Audition. This is where you walk the walk. Show off your skill and give them a taste of what you can do as an entertainer.

Step Five is your Quote. Let them know how much you will want for your services, include things like travel expenses, etc. Ask if they mind if you work for tips, or pass out business cards or marketing material during the event, and finally negotiate a final price. This is essentially where you make sure you get what you want out of the deal.

Step Six is to close the deal. Ask for the deal. Shake their hands, present them with the contract, have them sign, give them a copy, and say your good byes. There are a couple of ways to ask for the deal. I’ll outline a few below for you.
1. Direct: “So do we have a deal?”
2. Assumptive: “So when will be a good time to start performing {give date and time}, would that be good?” Or “So I’ll go ahead and mark the date and time in my calendar, While you review and sign the paperwork.”
3. Take Away: “Well I’m not sure that my services are appropriate for the event you have in mind. But if I were to do it, could we sign the paperwork today?”
4. Preference: “Do you want to sign the paperwork now, or would you like to do it Monday?”
5. Affordable Close: “Well you’ve said before that the previous magician was paid 300$ an hour, Since I’m only charging you $250 an hour you know you can afford it!”
6. Handshake Close: Simply ask for the deal then stand there offering your hand for a handshake. Important: Do not move, or say anything until they do. Make them take the next action.
7. Ultimatum close: “Just so you know, if you decide to go with a cheaper magician, you do get what you pay for. Cheaper isn’t always better. With me I’ve outlined the quality you are receiving, so don’t you think we should sign the papers now?”

Note: The Ultimatum Close is a powerful tool if used right. This is not for EVERY situation. It’s also known as a bully close. The last thing you want to do is put yourself at immediate odds with a client. Please only use this one if you really have an understanding what you are doing.

Rule of Silence: When I sold cars for a living I was taught a very powerful tool by a senior manager. I’ve learned to respect this tip and I use it often, both with sales, and in arguments. It’s the Rule of Silence. The Rule of Silence states: First person to comment after a valid and important point has been given, loses. In magic, if you’ve presented a closing line to a client, Shut up! Simply hand them the pen and don’t say anything. Even if 10 minutes goes by, simply stand or sit their and watch them. If you speak before they do, you’ve lost the deal. Guaranteed. If you let them speak first, then they’ve lost and that means you’ve got a gig! Seriously, try this out the next time you get into a fight with a family member or a friend. You’d be amazed at how well it works.

I hope this helps you with your interviews. Hopefully, you’ve gained a growing understanding and respect for the business side of show business. I would encourage you to continue your reading with other sales books if this is interesting to you. Magic, marketing and sales seem to go hand in hand. Lastly- Best of luck to you in your next interview!

Click This Link To Read Chapter 6. Marketing: Getting Your Name Out There

Last edited by a moderator:
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results