How to script, and structure a gambling routine?

Oct 15, 2008
Tennessee
I tried several searches but could not find anything on this.
I have been practicing gambling techniques (false deals, etc) for a couple years now, and would like to put together an entertaining demonstration. I just have no clue where to even begin. I honestly have never seen one. I just practices a bunch of random techniques.

So! Im just looking for some books that could help with this, or if anyone has any person experience with these type of "shows", and want to give some tips it would be much appreciated!

Apr 26, 2013
Italy
In my opinion, you should start by brainstorming. What type of ideas do you connect to Gambling? What feelings do you want to convey? How do you see yourself as a Gambler?
For exemple, if you look at different performers (Daniel Madison, Jason England, Paul Wilson, Benjamin Earl, Jack Carpenter and Darwin Ortiz), you can see different aspects of gambling at play... which ones would you like to offer to your audience?
A good search in the cinema and arts field could be useful (the sting, shade, 21...) to shape the character as well.

Then, you should start reading some theory books. Maybe start with D. Ortiz's Designing Miracles and Strong Magic. These should help you to structure routines and acts, how to maximize impact when performing and finally how to avoid common pitfalls.

I tend to shape routines (and therefore scripting) according to common places and ways of saying (eg: aces up the sleeves, the hand of man against the hand of fate, gambling with the devil...), I find them easy to understand and to relate to, and they set a mood.

Finally, check out Ben Earl's Gambit Magazine (if you can still find it). Lots of useful information!

Apr 26, 2011
IMO, Scripting Magic by Pete McCabe. It is an excellent place to learn how to script and present your magic, or in this case gambling routines, and make your routines as powerful as possible.

There are even a couple of scripts already written in the book based on gambling demonstrations and producing the aces, which is a bonus and will act as a good starting point.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 22, 2013
Munich / Germany
I always find it really helpful to watch performances of other (succsesful) magicians, gamblers, ...

So in your case I would recommend watching Ricky Jay and His 52 Assistants - his performance is
just beautiful and you can learn really much from it...

You should be able to easily find this on Youtube...

CalvinTan

Elite Member
I tried several searches but could not find anything on this.
I have been practicing gambling techniques (false deals, etc) for a couple years now, and would like to put together an entertaining demonstration. I just have no clue where to even begin. I honestly have never seen one. I just practices a bunch of random techniques.

So! Im just looking for some books that could help with this, or if anyone has any person experience with these type of "shows", and want to give some tips it would be much appreciated!

Have you thought about if you want audience participation or are you planning on just showing off gambling sleights?

Perhaps ask a spectator what poker hand they want.

--For example, spectator says: High full house.

Then ask, where at the table do you wish to sit.

--Spectator says - 3rd from the dealer.

Then of course, you deal out 5 hands, including yours. Spectator gets the high full house, but you always end up beating them with a hand one higher like a straight flush or 4 of a kind.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results