I just cant do a fan...my confidence is dropping

Feb 11, 2014
Hey guys...i have been performing magic for about a year now and got some basic sleights down but i just can not for the life of me do a Fan. My hands are small and i dont know if thats the problem but i just cant get it down. No matter what video i watch or what i read i can not seem to be able to perform a fan. It sucks because i love magic so much but a big part of me thinks "what kind of Magician cant do a simple fan?"....is it normal for some magicians to not be able to do a fan? Or should i just quit while im ahead?

Tower of Lunatic Meat

Elite Member
Sep 27, 2014
Texa$, with a dollar sign
Hey guys...i have been performing magic for about a year now and got some basic sleights down but i just can not for the life of me do a Fan. My hands are small and i dont know if thats the problem but i just cant get it down. No matter what video i watch or what i read i can not seem to be able to perform a fan. It sucks because i love magic so much but a big part of me thinks "what kind of Magician cant do a simple fan?"....is it normal for some magicians to not be able to do a fan? Or should i just quit while im ahead?

I'm also in the same boat with the small hands. To be fair, the fan is tricky to work. So don't feel bad there.

I also don't believe in 'small hands' for not being able to get a move down. Just press on and you'll get it down. Some of these things take time.

Trust me, there are worse confidence killers out there. Don't let the fan get you down

Aug 4, 2014
I hope you aren't using plastic cards. If not, then you just need to practise. It took me a few months after watching 52kards' video of the thumb fan.

Nov 1, 2014
I have small hands as well, I can totally understand your problem. I also had trouble with doing the fan, but here is some tips, hope it will help.
1.) get bicycle cards. Or as itsurboi99 said plastic cards, you will won't able to do the fan with sticky cards. however take care, if the cards too slippery than it will be a problem, it can fall out of your hands easily.
2.) start with only the half of the deck (or even less). Then you can take more and more cards, but the fan of the whole deck is hard for even professionals with big hand.
3.) you didn't write, but I guess you practiced the Thumb Fan. when I started I wasn't be able to do that. Then for a trick, I needed to learn the Under Pressure flourish (Calen Morelli's Clench), and it required knowing the pressure fan. When I tried, woooow, my fan was much better than the fan I created with the thumb fan. My point is you have to look for several fan-technics, than you can decide which fits you the best. (Since then after getting my pressure fan to a level, I practiced the Thumb fan, and I realized it's much easier)
4.) Practice and don't give up. Once you will feel, how to do the fan, and after that it's gonna be much easier. In addition, who cares about the fan? It's just a fancy flourish, however if you show an awesome trick, nobody will care about if you are able to do the fan.

Hope it helped, have fun with the practicing! :)

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results