I love live TV - Phenomenon!

I've actually had very little respect for Criss just because of mindfreak and other reasons I don't want to discuss at lenth right now but I just gained a lot of respect for him last night. He warned all the contestants that if they claimed they had powers he'd do something about it and he did. Jim's act was extremely comical and i laughed with i saw him perform, and i died when i saw what criss did. No one with any common sense saw through his "powers" and criss nailed him for it. If he had powers he wouldve taken his million and left the show. The people lieing and claiming powers are the ones ruining magic, not the sensible people that test them.

ha..it's like a card trick...
you guess the card they picked..
somebody comes and says ..that S*** was fake..
If you can guess the cards he/she picked out ,guess the card that Im thinking..

Oct 27, 2007
Eastern Seaboard, USA
Ahhhhh.....my magicial co-conspirators and I have been discussing this since the day after the show. IMHO, Criss was out of line, yes, yes, he loves Houdini, yes he likes debunking fraudsters, yes, yes, he likes grandstanding, but bottom line, that sucked.

This is a show where everyone is claiming to have extraordinary power, whether they channel it through a spirit, their minds, a pendulum..etc. Its a show to entertain and amaze. The guy is on there as a contestant, he's not starting a religion on there.

As a performance and a production, I thought Callahans' set was polished and well done, a bit heavy handed and not my particular cup of tea, though.

Gotta give Criss credit for including Uri on his "call outs" if he's gonna use this show as his soapbox, he also slighted him when talking about the pendulum finding oil. I have a feeling that by the time the show is over Angel and Geller will be at each others throats. *Makes for good TV right?* Nothing like some "magic-mentalist-Jerry Springer" action, Wooo!

Gellers' interactive portions are just too goofy, as well as his delivery, gah!

Ah well, I'm in late on this thread.....just wanted to drop my 3 cents

Oct 11, 2007
sacramento ca
I respect what he did. I mean, don't people who do this kind of thing suck real hope, and money out of everyday people? It happens all of the time, and I happen to agree with Criss on his stance about those people who prey on the innocent people all over the world.

I have a feeling that the only reason he did what he did, was to keep those sick individuals from tricking people into believing that someone can connect them with the dead.

I'm sorry, but...I honestly don't feel too bad about anyone getting called out on some ability that he claims to have.

Respectfully yours,

Shane K.

hell yea thats all :D

Sep 1, 2007
Watched the entire episode online today. I applaud Criss for following through with what he said he would do. Jim's whole act was just ludacris. He wriggled around in his chair, channeling a dead writer only to write, backwards (why would a professional writer write backwards, didn't add much to the effect), the words metal, rectangle, 4 weels ( and yes, he did leave out the H). Surely he could have said orange car.

Sep 1, 2007
Jamestown, NC
www.google.com
Watched the entire episode online today. I applaud Criss for following through with what he said he would do. Jim's whole act was just ludacris. He wriggled around in his chair, channeling a dead writer only to write, backwards (why would a professional writer write backwards, didn't add much to the effect), the words metal, rectangle, 4 weels ( and yes, he did leave out the H). Surely he could have said orange car.

Agreed.

Did you happen to watch the uncensored version? I highly enjoy that moment of pure...oh, how can I put this...wait, I've got the perfect way. Imagine a woman telling someone off and going..."Oh no he di-ent!" the woman has to have the whole circular neck motion with a few akward hand gestures as well.

I'm seriously debating weither or not I should the link to that clip in my signature.

:D

Shane K.

Sep 1, 2007
Agreed.

Did you happen to watch the uncensored version? I highly enjoy that moment of pure...oh, how can I put this...wait, I've got the perfect way. Imagine a woman telling someone off and going..."Oh no he di-ent!" the woman has to have the whole circular neck motion with a few akward hand gestures as well.

I'm seriously debating weither or not I should the link to that clip in my signature.

:D

Shane K.

Hahaha, yeah. I did see it uncensored. Surprised they didn't edit it, as I watched it directly from the NBC Phenomenon site.

Deryn

Elite Member
Sep 4, 2007
Tampa Bay, FL
www.instagram.com
ok, I've been away from the forums since Halloween as I went on a 4 day tour back home but I did see the event happen. I didn't read everyone's opinion on this thread but here's mine.

For Criss Angel to call someone out on live TV is kind of ridiculous. We as magicians hate hecklers and Criss became one himself calling that guy as well as Uri out. What I know is that if the tables were turned and Criss was called out, he wouldn't have guessed it either.

Also, I read an article about Morgan Strebler calling out Criss and Criss declined. What provoked Criss to do this? Ok sure the act was 'fake' but who is Criss Angel to say it was fake when his entire Mindfreak series is fake? The only thing that I can recall him doing that even touched on 'magic' was Wayne's Sinful & Thread, and hanging from fish hooks. I'm sure there were other tricks but these were the ones that I could think of.

Criss is a jack@$$ in my opinion. I'm glad the guy fought back. I would have done the same thing. From what I've heard and read, (countless accounts and articles on his "live street performances"), he can't seem to do "magic" without cameras and adobe premier and after effects.

I remember seeing him in Vegas last year and he was on Fremont street performing. Cameras were everywhere yet I can't seem to recall any of the footage that was shot on any episode of mindfreak. He says he's not a card guy but he was doing card magic the whole time we watched him.

Criss Angel in my opinion is NOT a magician. He's a total jerk for calling someone out as being fake when he is fake himself.

BLAH! hahaha

-Deryn

My opinion, I'm allowed to have it

Sep 2, 2007
Criss angel was being a complete butthead. Sure the Jim claimed to have supernatural ability, but what right did angel have to "expose" him on live tv. was this guy exploiting people? no. he came on to perform at a live magic show. once again it was a magic show. all people who commend criss for trying to expose a fake on a magic show are being non sensical. I know some people feel strongly about exposing people who claim to have supernatural abilities, but its a magic show... certainly some lee-way should be allowed. Jim claimed spirit possession as a way of explaining how he got a prediction. He did not say that he could talk with raven's dead grandmother and find out if she murdered. He didnt play on her sympathies. At the end of the performance when asked about being controversial, he said its america and allow people to make up their own mind.

Would the people who support criss's decision to try to out someone on a magic show be supportive of a random person who decides to follow angel around non stop filming the setup for all his "illusions" and hiring of actors and then to post the films on youtube? Probably not. Wouldnt most people be upset and say it ruins the entertainment value and that the guy filming was being a butthead?

You come to perform at a magic show, who is being hosted by two controversial magicians, only to get heckled not by a spectator, but by a magician. But i do fault jim for not taking advantage of the situation. I would have hammed it up saying something that the connection was broken already, it needs to be sealed in salt. that should have of course brought up a "showdown". then jim should have been like, so peanut butter huh? what about this performance?

Sep 9, 2007
funny, it seems like everyone arguing against criss angel's basic premise was him being a prick as reason enough not for him to do it.

Criss said at the beginning of the show that he was going to be brutally honest and pick on people who claimed they had supernatural powers. There's a million different ways he could have performed the mentalism act without talking to the dead.

And if you haven't noticed, Criss has "exposed" almost everyone, often spouting out routine names and other techincal info. He's there to judge them on technical ability, instead of Uri who tells everyone that they "have a nice energy" or other new age BS.

If you watched the aftershow interview, Criss also mentioned (much like Penn & Teller did in the clip I posted) that people are taken advantage by people who claim to be mediums. It's a despicable use of mentalism tactics to convince people that you speak to the dead. That's most people's reasoning for siding wih Angel.

Sep 2, 2007
He didnt talk to the dead. he was possessed. as far as ethical issues i would agree that claiming you can talk to someones dead relative and let them know that they are ok is wrong. Especially if you take it to a level where you charge for such seances. We can delve into using stooges and actors and how that is similar. then into using patter about experiences that didnt actually occur and even how the essence of magic is tricking, lying and misdirection.

So where is the line drawn about what is ethical and what is not? For me, subjectively, it would be the act of talking to the dead for information the subject is looking for. Claiming i see dead people or become possessed for a moment isnt crossing that line. Even claiming i have a dead brother who watches over me who died in the 911 attacks. Now if i was possessed by my aforementioned dead brother who told me your mom loves you and that her death was an accident whose also with your grandmother and to take this job offer thats coming up and then take money from you that is crossing the line.

Either way if you agree with my idea or not, criss was not acting like a professional. Maybe jim had done this several times, but when asked if he spoke to the dead he purposely side stepped the question in a way i found acceptable. then to challenge and heckle someone on a magic show on which nbc previously had entrances which claimed other contestants had supernatural powers and even had a guy die was not acceptable. I dont agree with how Jim handled it, people who perform mentalism should have thick skin and should have to deal with hecklers. but to be heckled by another magician, well that was not courteous at all.

Sep 9, 2007
Either way if you agree with my idea or not, criss was not acting like a professional. Maybe jim had done this several times, but when asked if he spoke to the dead he purposely side stepped the question in a way i found acceptable. then to challenge and heckle someone on a magic show on which nbc previously had entrances which claimed other contestants had supernatural powers and even had a guy die was not acceptable. I dont agree with how Jim handled it, people who perform mentalism should have thick skin and should have to deal with hecklers. but to be heckled by another magician, well that was not courteous at all.

I think you're missing the whole point of the show. The Judges SHOULD be nitpicking. They're there to find the best Mentalist. He called out Banacheck's PK-touch routine, the russian roulette rputine, alot of them really.

It irritates me that Uri sits there and provides zero critical feedback, all the while acting like what the magicians do is real. A simple good or bad doesn't suffice either - this is essentially a contest to see who the best new mentalist out there is.

If you've watched The Ultimate Fighter, American Idol (or any other number of those kind of shows) you'll notice that the judges usually provide some sort of critical feedback so that should the contestant stay, that he/she knows what to work on for the next round.

Uri should just be replaced by a bobblehead, it would have the same effect.

But I digress, back to Jim - Criss told everyone on the first night, anyone who claimed some sort of supernatural power would be called out on national television. I suspect he even said this with Jim in mind. He gave advanced notice. He doesn't want people to piss on our heads and tell us it's raining. Callahan had ample time to rework his routine (which i have to say was pretty lame to begin with), but chose to stick to his guns and Criss crucified him for it.

Sep 2, 2007
thanks for the response. i thought the whole point of the show was to find the next phenomenon. (which based on i believe criss and uri are just there to provide their responses to the performance). the public decides who goes onto the next round. and did criss call out the touch routine? then i am sorry and missed that part... i dont have a dvr at my apartment.

I do not know if jim has exploited people before but based on his reaction, which of course was ill tempered, he still shouldnt continue on in that contest whether the altercation was staged or not.

Anyone has the right to their opinion, i just feel that a magician who knows (or might know) how tricks are done shouldnt be a heckler to someone who did not specificly claim to have an ability to talk to the dead after the performance on a magic tv show was done.

i can commend criss for his efforts to educate the lay person to magic, especially if its to debunk cold readers who take advantage of someone who is looking for their someone who has done the 'cross over'. However i wont on this occasion. i will continue on with my criticism since there wasnt a cold reading; jim did nothing more than an exaggerated act (he could have been a little more catatonic) and then to be challenged by another well known magician/illusionist which for me at least can be looked at as no more than disrespectful.

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
I realize that I'm a little late, but I just want to point out how big of an ass Criss is. To call out and heckle another magician on live, national television like that is completely disrepectful, especially of the Magician's Code. Of course, with all the fame he's received, something tells me that he thinks he's above these rules. That just because he's a little more famous than the rest of us, he's allowed to do this crap.

If he wanted to "challenge" Jim, he could have done it in private, after the show. I still would lose some respect for him, but I may have even gained some respect for him for having the common sense to do it backstage after the show.

However, after all this bashing of Criss Angel, I do agree with him on one part... the performance was absolutely horrid. But, if I had a dollar for everytime I've seen a worse performance than his on YouTube, I would definitely have enough money to personally fly out to Vegas and chew him out myself.

Well, I think I've made my feelings toward Criss's actions quite clear, so I'll end my post here.

Sep 1, 2007
not sure if this was posted. But here's a video of the judges and Jim giving there opinions on what happened.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9QV-XdcaxI

If you don't have time to watch it, ill give you the bottom line.

Uri likes rainbows (someone sig this, it sounds funny)

Chris had a point but is full of him self

Jim has a point as well. And I can tell you that he is going to end Chris Angels career. He is calling him out on everything.

The Dark Angel

forum moderator / t11
Sep 1, 2007
Denver, Colorado
Uri is just hilarious. I would honestly watch the show just for him.
I think that both Jim and Criss have VERY valid points about each other.
Very strong points, and they are both right. However, if I had to choose, I would honestly side with Criss on this.

Sep 1, 2007
Jamestown, NC
www.google.com
Wow, I can't believe...well, yes I can...that Eran just got bit by the Texas rat snake. He is one lucky SOB. Considering that I'm from Texas and have gone toe to toe with one he's a braver man that I.

Was it just me, or did he look like he was about to pass out during the judges comments?

Hopefully he's okay.

What do you guys think about Jim's leaving?

Shane K.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results