'Impromptu' category?

Aug 31, 2014
Sweden
Hey, guys!

I want to hear your thoughts on an idea:
I'm a bit of a purist; I don't really like gimmicks, so I try to find effects that don't require them. Unfortunately, there isn't a category that only has impromptu magic in it (on the Wire or otherwise). If there was such a category then it would make it much easier to find my style of effects.
I just feel that it would save a lot of time. I can't be the ONLY one who would use this feature, right?!
Tell me what you think!

P.S: I have replied to some of your comments using another T11 account, so don't be confused by the different user-names!

Cheers

Tam

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 1, 2013
South Africa
I don't like the whole Impromptu idea. By that I mean I think that it's more effective if a trick appears impromptu rather than actually being so, so with that in mind, I ask, What is really impromptu then? The point I'm making is that impromptu means something different to each person hence you really can't categorize it openly, however it would be pretty sweet to have an "Impromptu" section on The Wire. All in all it would actually work. Sweet idea.

Aug 31, 2014
Sweden
I don't like the whole Impromptu idea. By that I mean I think that it's more effective if a trick appears impromptu rather than actually being so, so with that in mind, I ask, What is really impromptu then? The point I'm making is that impromptu means something different to each person hence you really can't categorize it openly, however it would be pretty sweet to have an "Impromptu" section on The Wire. All in all it would actually work. Sweet idea.

Thank you very much! Yeah, if I can get an effect done using only sleights, then I get more satisfaction. If I can do something without gimmicks then I will, but if not, sure, I'll use a gimmick!

Alex Hancock

Elite Member
Apr 26, 2013
London, UK.
Hey, guys!

I want to hear your thoughts on an idea:
I'm a bit of a purist; I don't really like gimmicks, so I try to find effects that don't require them. Unfortunately, there isn't a category that only has impromptu magic in it (on the Wire or otherwise). If there was such a category then it would make it much easier to find my style of effects.
I just feel that it would save a lot of time. I can't be the ONLY one who would use this feature, right?!
Tell me what you think!

Cheers

Tam

I really like this idea - maybe "gimmick free" would be a more useful description than 'impromptu' though?

Dec 5, 2014
I'm kind of the same way. I'm not completely opposed to gimmicks, but if I can achieve the same effect without said gimmick, then I'd rather use the slight-of-hand method to reach the desired result. I'd love to see a "gimmick-free" section on the wire.

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
For me impromptu effects just seem a bit more practical. If I'm performing casually for friends I may not have the gimmicks that I would like in order to perform. As a professional gimmicks can be a hassle. I perform a lot of walk around magic for parties and events and my pocket space is very precious. I can only afford to have so many props on me so the more that I can do with a deck of cards, my business cards and some coins the better.

Jan 4, 2015
I'm kind of the same way. I'm not completely opposed to gimmicks, but if I can achieve the same effect without said gimmick, then I'd rather use the slight-of-hand method to reach the desired result. I'd love to see a "gimmick-free" section on the wire.

My thoughts exactly!

Jan 4, 2015
Goatears, it's great to find others who feel the same way abut this!

Last edited by a moderator:

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
There was a time when I felt the same way. So I built an arsenal of impromptu tricks which was one of the best choices I made. However, then to accomplish some real crazy effects, I introduced gimmicks to achieve that. Now it doesn't matter. But it would be good to be able to search that category of effects.

Aug 31, 2014
Sweden
There was a time when I felt the same way. So I built an arsenal of impromptu tricks which was one of the best choices I made. However, then to accomplish some real crazy effects, I introduced gimmicks to achieve that. Now it doesn't matter. But it would be good to be able to search that category of effects.

I agree. You can only get SO far without using gimmicks. For some things you really have to use them. With card effects I try to only use sleights, but you can't (for example) levitate stuff without gimmicks, so you can't completely avoid them.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results