Improving The World: Austria

Improving the World... One Interaction At A Time.
A Performers Guide to Cultural Interactions
By William Draven

As an actor at a major motion picture studio, and theme park in Hollywood, as well as a magician I frequently get the opportunity to entertain for from all over the world. A year ago or so a document was released within our entertainment department that outlined different countries, and some good information you can use to create meaningful, lasting encounters with their people.

I immediately saw the advantage of this information for the magician community because what are we if not entertainers? We can use just about any tool at our disposal to help create that one magic moment with our audience that can make it even that much more memorable. So I got permission to share the information with you. Of course this project will take some time to post up, so I'll be updating this based upon two factors. The first being how well received, and appreciated it is from you the community, and the second how relevant the community feels this information is as applied to their lives. That is to say if not encouraged, I won't keep it up. Otherwise, I'll post new threads titled: "Improving The World: {country name}" that that specific file relates to.

Without any further delay, I bring you our next country: Austria

Improve the World: Austria

Continental Location: Central Europe
What They Call Themselves: Austrians
Primary Language: German
Prominent Cities: Vienna [capital], Graz, Salzburg, Innsbruck.
Famous/ Historical sites: Hofburg Imperial Palace (Vienna); Vienna State Opera House.
Currency: The Euro

Starter Phrases:
Hello: Hallo
Good Morning: Guten Morgen (GOO-ten MORE-gun)
Good Afternoon: Guten Tag (GOO-ten TOCK)
Goodbye: Auf Wiedersehen (OW-FEE-tah-zane)
Yes: Ja (Yah)
No: Nein (nine)
Thankyou: Danke (DON-kuh)
You’re Welcome: Bitte (BIT-uh)

Cultural Notes:
Prominent People/ Celebrities: Arnonld Schwarzenegger; Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart; Falco (singer, deceased; “Rock Me Amadeus”); Fritz Lang (director, deceased; “Metropolis”); Johann Strauss II (composer, deceased; “The Blue Danube Waltz” prominently heard in the film “2001: A Space Odyssey”); Maximilian Schell (Oscar winning actor).
-The Federal Republic of Austria is made up of nine states. Austria is a largely mountainous country due to its location in the Alps.
-Austria has hosted the winter Olympics twice in Innsbruck in 1964 & 1976. The first Winter Youth Olympics in 2012 will be held in Innsbruck as well.
-Studel is a favorite dessert from Austria, think “Sound of Music.” It is a type of sweet or savoury layered pastry with a filling inside, usually apple and cinnamon. Apple Strudel is considered the national dish, closely followed by Wiener Schnitzel. Wiener Schnitzel is a thin slice of veal coated in breadcrumbs and fried; not to be confused with the American hotdog chain.
-The Danube is a famous river that runs through Vienna. It is Europe’s second longest river after the Volga.
-Much of the Oscar winning best picture “The Sound of Music” starring Julie Andrews was filmed on location in Salzburg. The great popularity of the song, “Edelweiss”, has led many to believe that it is an Austrian folk song or even the official national anthem. It was composed specifically for the stage show.
-The Doppler Effect named after Austrian scientist Christian Doppler, an expert on acoustic theory. This is the basis for the popular weather reporting tool “Doppler Radar.”

What To Avoid:
WWII. Confusion with Germans.

Feb 7, 2011
Another interesting read William. But the 'things to avoid' piece is curious. Confusion with germans is a strange way to put it, seeing as austria joined them, and well, he who shall not be named was an austrian himself. Im not knocking the country or it's citizens, that is no reflection on austria today, and world war 2 is a touchy subject for most of mainland Europe so the point is valid, just maybe not for that exact reason.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results