Insane Coin Magic

May 24, 2008
It was good, wasn't insane to me. I would suggest using patter rather than distracting music. The sleights were mediocre at best. I would focus on a few things and do them really well rather than a bunch of things that you do half decently. The first routine was the best done, and it just went downhill from there. I would really work on your basics and presentation.

Sep 1, 2007
Melbourne
I don't quite get it... what was the insane part?....
Seemed like you could use a little work instead actually, e.g. in the first routine, when your hand slides the coin away, it looks quite discrepant... also you should use bigger coins, coin magic always looks better with bigger coins (Dollar coins if you can... but half dollars will do in most cases)

Jun 30, 2008
I don't quite get it... what was the insane part?....
Seemed like you could use a little work instead actually, e.g. in the first routine, when your hand slides the coin away, it looks quite discrepant... also you should use bigger coins, coin magic always looks better with bigger coins (Dollar coins if you can... but half dollars will do in most cases)

sorry it wasnt insane to you, i feel bad that no one on here likes it, i only have two half dollars and i dont know where to buy more (besides online) once again sorry

Sep 1, 2007
Melbourne
Well we never said we didn't like it, no need to apologize. Is it hard for you to get half dollars? Where do you live? You don't HAVE to work with half dollars, I actually meant you should use coins about that kind of size (or dollar sized coins).

Jun 30, 2008
Well we never said we didn't like it, no need to apologize. Is it hard for you to get half dollars? Where do you live? You don't HAVE to work with half dollars, I actually meant you should use coins about that kind of size (or dollar sized coins).
Well they said the sleights were mediocre, and it wasnt that great, im 13 years old, and im in FL, we dont use half dollars here (as far as i know)

Nov 30, 2007
Midlands, England
Hmm, I didn't think it was insane at all. Sorry, I'm not a coin magician at all but I followed pretty much 100% of that.

It was all well executed though, I can see how it'd be insane to laypeople.

Don't give up, it's good :)

-Sam H

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Hey man...

You gotta put some of these comments in perspective, yeah? I'm sure no-one meant anything offensive - I know Amane personally, and he's direct but very, very helpful - and he's incredible with coins.

So here's the deal. They're good effects, yeah? First thing down, they're good effects. Here's the most important thing. You have to realise how good the best in magic actually are. A lot of these guys have had the chance and the experience to see the best of the best at work. Based on this experience - it is true, there are lots of areas you do need to practice more. Not to say that you're just a kid who doesn't practice at all - I'm sure you do. But when you present a compilation video like this, where many of the effects need practice in many areas, that's where those comments come from. It looks like you're pretty popular on YouTube - which is great! To tell you the truth though - most of those guys know nothing about magic. They don't have the experience I mentioned earlier. That's why they won't tell you these things - their magic isn't advanced enough for them to realise it. The reason you're suddenly getting criticised here - is simply because the criticisms are true, but, without wanting to sound arrogant - these guys here who are criticising you are far more experienced than the guys who give you five stars on YouTube. These guys will always tell you the truth, from an experienced point of view, which is something YouTube rarely will do. As I said - Amane is brilliant with coins, he has serious chops, and his experience, coming from someone of his calibre, is not something you'll find on YouTube - they won't see the things wrong that he does because they're just not as good. And you know, these things that're pointed out, these are some of the differences between YouTube magicians and real professionals that we all look up to. This isn't a criticism, but it doesn't sound like you really know a lot about magic, or coin magic, past the tricks that you perform - for example, the ones that I saw weren't rare tricks at all as you described in the YouTube comments section. But there's more you have to realise.

You gotta understand that practicing enough isn't just practicing until you can't see the moves. For example, take Amane's first comment - it's not that anyone could see what you were doing specifically, it's that the sleight looked suspicious. It is often said that this can be as bad as flashing - it's as bad for a sleight to merely look suspicious as it is for you to screw it up completely.

If you understand this, you'll understand why people here will think you need to practice more. In short: People think you need to practice more because, whilst you don't flash, you have to realise that there are many more aspects to performing sleights than just not flashing - and it's these aspects, such as being natural, routining, even the construction of an effect (patter, order, etc) that you need practice, and I don't think you realise that these things require practice too - that's what you're doing wrong and what you're being criticised for.

I hope I've made things clearer - and I tried to put things as simply as possible too, let me know if I can explain something else better.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 30, 2008
Hey man...

You gotta put some of these comments in perspective, yeah? I'm sure no-one meant anything offensive - I know Amane personally, and he's direct but very, very helpful - and he's incredible with coins.

So here's the deal. They're good effects, yeah? First thing down, they're good effects. Here's the most important thing. You have to realise how good the best in magic actually are. A lot of these guys have had the chance and the experience to see the best of the best at work. Based on this experience - it is true, there are lots of areas you do need to practice more. Not to say that you're just a kid who doesn't practice at all - I'm sure you do. But when you present a compilation video like this, where many of the effects need practice in many areas, that's where those comments come from. It looks like you're pretty popular on YouTube - which is great! To tell you the truth though - most of those guys know nothing about magic. They don't have the experience I mentioned earlier. That's why they won't tell you these things - their magic isn't advanced enough for them to realise it. The reason you're suddenly getting criticised here - is simply because the criticisms are true, but, without wanting to sound arrogant - these guys here who are criticising you are far more experienced than the guys who give you five stars on YouTube. These guys will always tell you the truth, from an experienced point of view, which is something YouTube rarely will do. As I said - Amane is brilliant with coins, he has serious chops, and his experience, coming from someone of his calibre, is not something you'll find on YouTube - they won't see the things wrong that he does because they're just not as good. And you know, these things that're pointed out, these are some of the differences between YouTube magicians and real professionals that we all look up to. This isn't a criticism, but it doesn't sound like you really know a lot about magic, or coin magic, past the tricks that you perform - for example, the ones that I saw weren't rare tricks at all as you described in the YouTube comments section. But there's more you have to realise.

You gotta understand that practicing enough isn't just practicing until you can't see the moves. For example, take Amane's first comment - it's not that anyone could see what you were doing specifically, it's that the sleight looked suspicious. It is often said that this can be as bad as flashing - it's as bad for a sleight to merely look suspicious as it is for you to screw it up completely.

If you understand this, you'll understand why people here will think you need to practice more. In short: People think you need to practice more because, whilst you don't flash, you have to realise that there are many more aspects to performing sleights than just not flashing - and it's these aspects, such as being natural, routining, even the construction of an effect (patter, order, etc) that you need practice, and I don't think you realise that these things require practice too - that's what you're doing wrong and what you're being criticised for.

I hope I've made things clearer - and I tried to put things as simply as possible too, let me know if I can explain something else better.

Thanks a bunch man, just some of the comments i took offense to because i sounded like i was being talked down upon, i thought the tricks were rare because theyre not spread over youtube. I will practice more and hopefully make a better coin magic video, thanks again

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Thanks a bunch man, just some of the comments i took offense to because i sounded like i was being talked down upon, i thought the tricks were rare because theyre not spread over youtube. I will practice more and hopefully make a better coin magic video, thanks again

Hey no worries, glad I could help out a bit.

Sometimes we can be a bit harsh because a lot of us don't really care for many YouTube magicians - for good reason, as I'm sure you've seen, there are a lot of very, very bad magicians who put up videos on YouTube. You're not doing too bad though, especially considering your age, and you have the right attitude :) I can definitely understand feeling a bit offended - try not to though, there's always different things people can learn though, and at least here, these guys will tell you exactly what to work on if something could be better.

Keep it up mate, you're doing well :)

Sep 1, 2007
Melbourne
Hey man...

Oh you praise me too much, i'm not that good... haha

Anyway yea, since you live in FL, it should be easy for you to get some half dollars. They're actually one of the best sized coins for doing magic IMO. It doesn't really matter if no one uses them, as long as they know it's a coin and it's normal. I'm not really talking you down or anything (if it sounded like I was then I apologize) but I think you could have done a better job. A little more practice and easing up on the stiffness will help a lot.

cheers

Jun 30, 2008
Oh you praise me too much, i'm not that good... haha

Anyway yea, since you live in FL, it should be easy for you to get some half dollars. They're actually one of the best sized coins for doing magic IMO. It doesn't really matter if no one uses them, as long as they know it's a coin and it's normal. I'm not really talking you down or anything (if it sounded like I was then I apologize) but I think you could have done a better job. A little more practice and easing up on the stiffness will help a lot.

cheers

Thanks, im gunna go to the bank soon and get some, atm i only have two, i have michael ammar's coin magic DVD, ive been practicing alot, specially on my palm, any speific slieghts i should work on? thanks again

Sep 1, 2007
Melbourne
Well if you want some harder stuff, why not pick up Kaufman's Coin Magic book?
It's a great resource with a lot of super awesome tricks.
If you want DVDs then pick up David Roth's set - go for the Expert Coin Magic made easy set first.

cheers

Jun 30, 2008
Well if you want some harder stuff, why not pick up Kaufman's Coin Magic book?
It's a great resource with a lot of super awesome tricks.
If you want DVDs then pick up David Roth's set - go for the Expert Coin Magic made easy set first.

cheers
Thanks a bunch, i looked up the david roth set, there are 3 volumes, should i start with volume 1? its called Coin magic made easy , its by david roth i suppose thats what u meant

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results