Joe Porper Card Clips?

ID4

Aug 20, 2010
You just wrote it. The original card clip has a saddle spine. Neither. Further info is below from Joe Porper's partner.
On Nov 5, 2015, scottjenkins wrote:
We make both of them solid enough so that there's no difference in what they do. Initially the saddlespine was created to keep the corners of the box away from the inner curve, but we've since re-tooled the flat spines so it's not an issue.
So now, it's just a matter of preference. Our partners who put leather on the clips naturally prefer the flat spine, as it's easier for them to attach the leather.

Mar 3, 2018
Thanks for the info ID4! I also have one more question. Does a flat-spine card clip put more pressure on the deck than a saddle-spine clip?

ID4

Aug 20, 2010
As far as I know, the flat spine and saddle spine card clips each put the same amount of pressure on the deck.

Lyle Borders

Elite Member
Aug 5, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.theory11.com
Thanks for the info ID4! I also have one more question. Does a flat-spine card clip put more pressure on the deck than a saddle-spine clip?

Neither really "squeeze" your deck at all. They are in the shape they are in - they aren't actively trying to compress your deck. If you get any pressure, that pressure comes from your deck being thicker than the space between the metal sides. You can adjust this by adding or removing extra cards in your deck. I carry most of my theory11 decks in a flat-spine Porper clip, and they are really tight if I leave all the cards inside. I remove (and frequently give away) the ad cards from my deck, and then the deck inside fits snugly without falling out, but is still easy to remove.

If you expect a Porper clip to flatten your deck, you are looking for the wrong sort of tool. More than anything these will just hold your deck flat preventing it from getting bent out of shape in the first place. It won't fix a warped deck. I carry my decks in a front pocket of my trousers, and the Porper clip helps extend the life of the deck.

// L

ID4

Aug 20, 2010
Neither really "squeeze" your deck at all. They are in the shape they are in - they aren't actively trying to compress your deck. If you get any pressure, that pressure comes from your deck being thicker than the space between the metal sides.
You mean the Joe Porper Card Clip ad copy is wrong? Weird.

Mar 3, 2018
Neither really "squeeze" your deck at all. They are in the shape they are in - they aren't actively trying to compress your deck. If you get any pressure, that pressure comes from your deck being thicker than the space between the metal sides. You can adjust this by adding or removing extra cards in your deck. I carry most of my theory11 decks in a flat-spine Porper clip, and they are really tight if I leave all the cards inside. I remove (and frequently give away) the ad cards from my deck, and then the deck inside fits snugly without falling out, but is still easy to remove.

If you expect a Porper clip to flatten your deck, you are looking for the wrong sort of tool. More than anything these will just hold your deck flat preventing it from getting bent out of shape in the first place. It won't fix a warped deck. I carry my decks in a front pocket of my trousers, and the Porper clip helps extend the life of the deck.

// L
Thanks for the info Lyle. I think I'll still get a card clip to stop the deck from warping when it's in my pocket. What would be the best tool to flatten a deck?

Lyle Borders

Elite Member
Aug 5, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.theory11.com
Thanks for the info Lyle. I think I'll still get a card clip to stop the deck from warping when it's in my pocket. What would be the best tool to flatten a deck?

Prevention is going to be much, much better than trying to reverse warping. Once it is warped, it isn't ever going to go back to normal. You can clamp a deck between a couple hard, flat surfaces for a while and it may help, or put it between two hard, flat, heavy objects (like putting the deck on a table, then putting a hardcover, heavy book on it). This can help some.

A Porper clip will help with the prevention of warping, so that really is where I would start if you are going to carry a deck around all the time. Remember - humidity is the real issue. Carrying a deck in your pocket will cause it to absorb humidity from your body. A humid deck will tend to warp if allowed, even untouched, and will be softer and more prone to warping as you use it. Carrying a deck in your pocket in a Porper is convenient to do, but isn't the best thing for the deck. Doesn't stop most people from doing it anyway.

// L

Lyle Borders

Elite Member
Aug 5, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.theory11.com
So what would be the best way to carry a deck other than putting it in your pocket?

Put it in a backpack, a box, a pocket that isn't tight up against your body (where moisture from your body can easily get into your deck), in your hand. Almost anywhere else.

That might not be an option all the time. It isn't always an option for me, hence I use a Porper to try to extend the life of my deck.

// L

Mar 3, 2018
Put it in a backpack, a box, a pocket that isn't tight up against your body (where moisture from your body can easily get into your deck), in your hand. Almost anywhere else.

That might not be an option all the time. It isn't always an option for me, hence I use a Porper to try to extend the life of my deck.

// L
Ok, I'll try doing that. Thanks again Lyle!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results