Kindness

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 24, 2007
Kindness. It's something that's lacking from these forums and that bothers me. I've noticed that whenever someone has just joined the forums and posted something that's already been posted, everyone jumps all over him. But, come on, give whoever it is a break.

Instead of jumping all over them, having hostility towards them, and being sarcastic in your comments, it would be good to say, "Thank you. This has already been posted. Please go back and read the rules so that you will know how to properly post and welcome to the forum!". That would be a good response, instead of "This has already been posted. You have to read the rules. I don't get what's wrong with you noobs", etc. That kind of attitude doesn't need to exist on these forums. Educate people that are new to the forum, don't jump all over them. That's all I'm saying. Peace!

Tyler

Kindness. It's something that's lacking from these forums and that bothers me. I've noticed that whenever someone has just joined the forums and posted something that's already been posted, everyone jumps all over him. But, come on, give whoever it is a break.

Instead of jumping all over them, having hostility towards them, and being sarcastic in your comments, it would be good to say, "Thank you. This has already been posted. Please go back and read the rules so that you will know how to properly post and welcome to the forum!". That would be a good response, instead of "This has already been posted. You have to read the rules. I don't get what's wrong with you noobs", etc. That kind of attitude doesn't need to exist on these forums. Educate people that are new to the forum, don't jump all over them. That's all I'm saying. Peace!

Tyler

After I read that, I finally realized that. I never really noticed that type of thing before.

Dec 17, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
I somewhat agree with you.. lately, there have been a few times where it's become slightly uncomfortable. However, it's sorta common sense to read through things on a forum you've just joined to get a certain feel for how things operate before you even think about posting something.

So, yeah. The blame is split 50/50.

Nov 25, 2007
Tyler has the right Idea for the proper respect that should be shown in not just in this forum but for any of you who are members of other forums as well.

The only reason folks especially kids are cruel on a message board is for the fact that the person on the other end of the computer screen can't see you and there for the secrecy of the computer and in an internet chatroom or in this case on a message board, people can be as rude and frankly stupid as they want to with out fear of consequences from anyone.
These folks that are rude to other board members obviously have something wrong within themselves, maybe they don't like there life, or maybe they are jealous that someone else has the self esteem and is going to go places with there magic (I have seen that on these forums as well) and that person wants to hurt another board member.
I do think it's kinda childish to do this sort of thing, I mean if you have an issue that needs addressing talk to someone other than on a forum. Your parents, a trusted friend ect... a person you can actually see. Remenber voice tone, facial expression ect is missing from a forum, so messages that may be well meaning will be taken out of context and misconstrude... leading to hurt feelings (I have experienced that here as well) I do feel bad for the moderators who genuenly want to keep these boards a friendly place to be, in some cases it's just impossible specialy on an internet forum...

Feb 3, 2008
Raleigh, NC
I whole-heartedly agree with you Tyler, but unfortunately most of the people here will just glimpse over this topic and ignore it, especially the people you are talking about. This is because those people don't have the maturity to change themselves or acknowledge that they are wrong.

-Cyrus

Oct 6, 2007
You do realise, that what you guys have said, is excatly what Tyler said is wrong?

You guys are dissing, and putting people down. Tyler is just explaining what he feels are right and wrong to do, and you guys are jsut blaming those people.

Yes, it might be wrong, but at least say it nicely.

Sep 1, 2007
Philadelphia, PA

Tyler

While I agree with your intentions and do my best to just ignore the types of threads you are talking about I don't think it is something that is unique to magic or unique to these forums at all. The reason I ignore them is because there are so many that it simply isn't worth my time to devote the little free time I have on a forum towards working to curb this problem. Given that the forums provide some safeguard as Ashely mentioned and provide anonymity to those who use internet forums the potential for abuse is massive. It is also why you see a large amount of turnover and disinterest in internet forums, mainly because those who actually care get tired of fighting the tide and just move on.

I am actually waiting for someone to jump on you still for what I am sure someone will perceive as 'acting like a mini-mod'.

I actually own and administer forums relative to a completely different topic for a certain MMO game. The long time members of the forum have been called 'elitests', 'a-holes', and 'arrogant jerks'. You know what, everyone reads those forums because that is where the experts go to discuss the finer details of their interests. The people who are genuinely interested stick around because eventually they catch on that spoon-feeding isn't permitted, searching for what you are looking for is required (prior to asking questions), and once you figure that out you fit in just fine. These forums have been around for 8 years now and are still used on a regular basis, while the other forums that coddled and spoon-fed people fell by the wayside.

Maybe you can have it both ways but I seriously doubt it. In the end the people who are serious about the forum topics get tired of the same old crap over and over and move on.

--Jim

Oct 24, 2007
All I'm saying is this. Yes, people should read forum rules and such, but like Ashley pointed out, you don't know peoples intentions. Maybe they skipped over it, maybe they didn't see the rules, who knows?

Instead of being rude towards these people, why not be courteous. Sure, you can tell them to read the rules and tell them to use the search feature, but do it without insulting them. Insulting people just isn't needed, here or anywhere.

As to the moderators, I do not mean this as disrespect, but you need to tighten it up a bit. When someone insults someone just because they're new here, tell them to stop. You hold authority and power on these forums. And if someone doesn't care, because they can't be held accountable, then they just shouldn't be a part of these forums anymore.

So, before posting, think of how you're talking to someone else. If you're going to post something on the forums that you wouldn't say to them face to face, then don't do it. Plain and simple. Peace!

Tyler

Feb 3, 2008
Raleigh, NC
You do realise, that what you guys have said, is excatly what Tyler said is wrong?

You guys are dissing, and putting people down. Tyler is just explaining what he feels are right and wrong to do, and you guys are jsut blaming those people.

Yes, it might be wrong, but at least say it nicely.

What in the world are you talking about, I only see one person here "dissing" Tyler.

-Cyrus

Oct 6, 2007
Uhm, where in my post did I diss Tyler?

THIS is what I'm talking about:

"These folks that are rude to other board members obviously have something wrong within themselves"
-AshleyHall

"This is because those people don't have the maturity to change themselves or acknowledge that they are wrong."
-Cyrus

Way to solve the problem nicely! ;P

Feb 3, 2008
Raleigh, NC
Uhm, where in my post did I diss Tyler?

THIS is what I'm talking about:

"These folks that are rude to other board members obviously have something wrong within themselves"
-AshleyHall

"This is because those people don't have the maturity to change themselves or acknowledge that they are wrong."
-Cyrus

Way to solve the problem nicely! ;P

And you have a solution then? Lets have it.

-Cyrus

Mar 16, 2008
Melbz
oh my gosh cyrus i thought these forums were for magic, not personal problems! you should stop being a smartass and just acknowledge people's opinions instead of trying to act e-cool. kudos to Tyler for trying to make this place friendlier. :)

Sep 14, 2007
I agree 100%, that we should be much more kind to eachotherm we dont want a bad reputation for theory11, some of the behaviour is appauling so I think we should all just try to be more kind.

Nick

Oct 6, 2007
oh my gosh cyrus i thought these forums were for magic, not personal problems! you should stop being a smartass and just acknowledge people's opinions instead of trying to act e-cool. kudos to Tyler for trying to make this place friendlier. :)

There you guy Cyrus. That's a solution. Get people like you to stop being smartasses!

If you really did support Tyler then you wouldn't spend your time thinking of sarcastic comments and instead focus your attention on changing yourself. That will make the forums friendlier!

Mar 16, 2008
Melbz
Nah, its just that cyrus and a few others are so closed minded about new people. That really puts people off the forums.

Hopefully we can do something about that so more people will join and experience the benefit of being a member here at T11.

Feb 3, 2008
Raleigh, NC
You guys have some serious issues, I posted in this thread AGREEING with Tyler. I think you need to spend time changing YOU for attacking somebody who posted in this topic to agree with Tyler and also state why this is a big problem. I didn't become a "smartass" until I was provoked and called out for no reason, think about that. I'm sure if you agreed with somebody put in your input on the issue and somebody attacked you, you'd become pretty "smartass-ish" yourself.

And I don't know what your deal is PlethZorb, unlike most of the others who posted in your topic I actually welcomed you to the forums!

I do also have to add, I love how both of you have twisted and used my own words against me and seem to think its ok when YOU say what I said. That is hypocrisy. If you take a single phrase of somebody who is supporting you (me) and you stab that ally (me) in the back with it, you have some serious issues and that makes you no better than the people this topic is about.

-Cyrus

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 16, 2008
Melbz
Cool man! Thank you for taking so much of your personal time to type those 3 huge paragraphs for people all over the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results