Lapping - stage magic substitute?

Hi.

I'm planning to perform a trick where I produce two large objects from a smaller container. However, it turns out that the trick calls for lapping these objects, and I'll be doing the trick on a stage. The two objects will be about the size of a grapefruit each. I'll need to hide them somewhere while I proceed with the trick. I will have an assistant, and will be able to bring props if I need.
Can someone give me tips on how to hide the objects?

Thanks,
Jazz

(If you need to know the name of the trick, PM me, as I don't want to reveal too much. Thanks!)

May 3, 2008
Hong Kong
This is an idea but I generally dont like it.
I remember way back when I was looking into some cabaret stage magic, I found a little table thing that allowed you to hide / store objects without it being noticed.
PM me if you want to know more.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
I'm planning to perform a trick where I produce two large objects from a smaller container. However, it turns out that the trick calls for lapping these objects, and I'll be doing the trick on a stage. The two objects will be about the size of a grapefruit each. I'll need to hide them somewhere while I proceed with the trick. I will have an assistant, and will be able to bring props if I need.

It depends on what else you have on stage with you. If you have a table, hide it behind the table. If you have a chair, hide it behind the chair. Steal the object as you walk behind the table or chair. If you are wearing a jacket, you may be able to attach the objects to you belt at your side (towards the back) and cover with the jacket.

You can also hide an object behind your assistant's back and steal it as you walk behind your assistant (the assistant should be far enough back on stage so that you don't have angle problems). If your assistant is a female (assuming you are male) you can walk behind her (going from your right to your left when facing the audience), put a hand on her shoulders (say something that justifies this motion) and then steal the "grapefruit" with your right hand as you continue moving to the left).

Since you have two object, you will probably need to do two steals. You can justify moving around the stage under the guise of showing each part of the audience the effect. You can do the second steal as you go to the other side of the stage and under the cover of returning the first produced item to the table or handing it to your assistant.

PM me if you want specific ideas for your effect and/or set-up.

Feb 16, 2009
South Bend, IN
Hi.

Thanks,
Jazz

(If you need to know the name of the trick, PM me, as I don't want to reveal too much. Thanks!)

I'm no expert on stage magic, but couldn't you use a topit for this?

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results