Lecture notes

Hey guys. I don't want to sound lame here (like some of those YouTube magicians) but I wrote down all my original (well, except for one) ideas down and their explanations. What would you guys think about me publishing some lecture notes?

Most of the stuff are basic things, nothing too hard. Just some creative ideas.

Oh yeah, I've included my own handling of that coin bend that you can see in one of Wayne Houchin's montage videos. The one where he drops a coin into a cup of coffee or soda (in my case, water) and it bubbles up and when you pour it out, the coin is bent. That is just so uber fantastic!

I would love to hear your ideas guys. I hope I don't sound to.....n00bish?

;D

Sounds interesting...
I mean it should be all original stuff and you shouldn't just be publishing something to publish something. You should make it the best set of notes out there. It may not be but you want to put everything you've got into it. Which will take time but in the long run if you have a bunch of hard hitting effects or flourishes which you put a ton of work into and that work shows, it will definitely be worth it. The coin bend idea sounds interesting but you want to make sure it's the best coin bend effect you can make. Not just an idea for an effect for an idea you have, but very well thought out effect which you must a lot of effort into.
Hope this helped and I hope you understood all that,
But remember do your best and when you have gotten all the best stuff you can create then maybe it's worth it, but it will take time,

Michael

The first thing one must do when publishing an effect/several effects is to check originality. You do NOT want to publishing a book that is filled with effects that have already been created. Even worse is if these effects are not credited to their original creators.

A lot of research should go into this when publishing!

Mitchell

Sep 1, 2007
Just for your information the coin bend in that montage is from the Harkey/Anderson book - AHHA

Sep 1, 2007
Philadelphia, PA
My suggestion would be the following to anyone contemplating releasing "notes":

1. First off as Mitchell mentioned, do your research. If you want to get some mud on your face the quickest way to do that is by taking a shortcut in hoping that your effect is in fact original.
**Please use a credible resource to do your research. Someone like a Lee Asher would be my personal preference to check the history and originality of your effect.
2. Take your ideas and routine them for 30-40 performances each to refine the effect itself
3. Go back and review your notes, on your "notes", and refine the entire concept to make it better
4. At this point share it with fellow magicians who's opinions you respect. Don't share it with guys who aren't going to be honest, even brutally honest with you.
5. Let these fellow magicians work with your effects and see what their opinion is on the effect and the reactions they have gotten. Take their feedback and decide what makes the most sense to revise or edit the overall effect to make it better.
6. Now you are ready to put these into a format that you can share for a nominal fee to those interested in what you have brought to the table.

It isn't worth the 5 seconds of fame just to say you have your own "lecture notes" considering the backlash and repercussions you might feel in the long run. Most of us have very long-term memories and can recall every rushed or poorly conceived idea that came across the table. In the end I want you to understand that I am trying to position you to be successful in what you are doing. I am not trying to create roadblocks and red tape for you to overcome in order to share your potential creations with the rest of us. I am sure you will find in a discussion with any creator that the 6 items I listed here hardly cover everything and many go well above and beyond what I have listed here prior to releasing material. This should be at least a 4-6 month process that you go through prior to rushing it out to press.

--Jim

My suggestion would be the following to anyone contemplating releasing "notes":

1. First off as Mitchell mentioned, do your research. If you want to get some mud on your face the quickest way to do that is by taking a shortcut in hoping that your effect is in fact original.
**Please use a credible resource to do your research. Someone like a Lee Asher would be my personal preference to check the history and originality of your effect.
2. Take your ideas and routine them for 30-40 performances each to refine the effect itself
3. Go back and review your notes, on your "notes", and refine the entire concept to make it better
4. At this point share it with fellow magicians who's opinions you respect. Don't share it with guys who aren't going to be honest, even brutally honest with you.
5. Let these fellow magicians work with your effects and see what their opinion is on the effect and the reactions they have gotten. Take their feedback and decide what makes the most sense to revise or edit the overall effect to make it better.
6. Now you are ready to put these into a format that you can share for a nominal fee to those interested in what you have brought to the table.

It isn't worth the 5 seconds of fame just to say you have your own "lecture notes" considering the backlash and repercussions you might feel in the long run. Most of us have very long-term memories and can recall every rushed or poorly conceived idea that came across the table. In the end I want you to understand that I am trying to position you to be successful in what you are doing. I am not trying to create roadblocks and red tape for you to overcome in order to share your potential creations with the rest of us. I am sure you will find in a discussion with any creator that the 6 items I listed here hardly cover everything and many go well above and beyond what I have listed here prior to releasing material. This should be at least a 4-6 month process that you go through prior to rushing it out to press.

--Jim

Yes, I totally agree. The once thing I hate most, is people out there doing things that professionals do and think that they are professional themselves. I want to make sure that every single bit of my stuff is original.

I have a question though, how should I do my research? Like how do I know if anything like it wasn't published before?

Aug 31, 2007
interwebz
Yes, I totally agree. The once thing I hate most, is people out there doing things that professionals do and think that they are professional themselves. I want to make sure that every single bit of my stuff is original.

I have a question though, how should I do my research? Like how do I know if anything like it wasn't published before?

My advice....perform everything you expect to put in the notes for another 3 months at the LEAST. Then once you have written the notes...go back and review them. After that send them to some friends...ask them to check them out and make sure they make sense and all spelling and grammar is correct. Then go back and proofread them again..then publish.

Dec 5, 2007
New York City
I dont want to sound rude but i think the only thing you want is atention.if your going to post your notes just do it.in the other side it woud be great if you post them.

Well, I can't just throw some stuff together and call it my notes man. Like what some people said, you don't know if the material you put in it have already been published before. I just want some help, that's all.

Everyone likes some attention every now and then, but in this case, I don't.

;D

Dec 5, 2007
New York City
Well, I can't just throw some stuff together and call it my notes man. Like what some people said, you don't know if the material you put in it have already been published before. I just want some help, that's all.

Everyone likes some attention every now and then, but in this case, I don't.

;D

thanks for explaining my dear friend

Sep 1, 2007
UK
If you haven't already been performing these things for at least 5 months, say, you shouldn't even be considering putting together notes to sell in the future. The motive there is just completely wrong.

The best way to research, is to share your effects (in note form if you like) with people you trust, and with people with considerable experience and knowledge. If you are developing effects, don't go straight in with research to check if it's original and see if you could market it, but by all means do research. Research helps your effect develop, through the ideas of those you share it with, and through the effects you find which have relevant similarities to your own.

If your primary goal isn't to make good magic, then the magic will not be good.
Don't make it your primary goal to release some notes.

Focus on the magic :D

Huruey

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results