Looking for some Hardhitting Mentalism Routines

Jun 13, 2013
Hampton Roads, VA
Okay, okay, I know this site is mostly for cards and coins. I'm really only a card-and-coin guy myself, but I've always been very curious about mentalism. I haven't performed magic professionally in a while, not since last summer, and I've been quite busy since then - practicing loyally yoga and meditation. I do a lot of stuff like guided meditation, tarot card reading, and palm reading (though I don't believe in the latter two for a second) and I would love to add a little mentalism as well.

I only want a small handful of really hardhitting routines, since as of right now I have no interest in picking magic back up as a profession. I'm quite interested particularly in a few books I found, 'The Prodigal', 'Faith Healer', and 'Goat's Grimoire'. However, The Prodigal and Faith Healer both seem to be extremely vague as to the effect(s) taught, and I'd hate to shell out for a book when I'm not even sure what I'll be learning! Goat's Grimoire seems like a great one-stop-shopping book for mentalism, but I'm hesitant to shell out $125 with there being so few reviews of it on the web. Faith Healer definitely sounds really interesting and I love Luke Jermay's work, but it is very vague and I would love some more info before purchasing - hopefully someone here can enlighten me as to these routines (or where I could find better routines!)

Last edited by a moderator:

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Are you looking for actual mentalism or magic effects that appear to be mental. For example: I am not a mentalist but I will do effects like Free Will, Chris Kenworthy's peak wallet, etc.

Craig Browning can chime in a bit more if you are speaking of the former.

You may want to look into Larry Becker routines, Corinda's 13 steps, or Bob Cassidy, Anneman, etc. I apologize I am no expert on this area.

Apr 17, 2013
I do not do much but like 99% of the mental effects I do come from Mark Elsdon's Conversation as Mentalism. Craig sells a nice starting set of mentalist books.

Jun 13, 2013
Hampton Roads, VA
@Rick, I'm looking for actual mentalism, my goal is just to have a couple tricks up my sleeve to supplement my palm reading and meditation routines, just to add a touch of mystique. Now, as I say this bear in mind I'm a total novice in this area - put a deck in my hands and I'm good to go, but this is totally new territory for me. I'm sure there are those here who know better than I do what I'm looking for, and I sincerely hope they find this thread!

In the meantime, I'll definitely check out both of your guys' recommendations.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
Ok, it sounds as if you're drawn towards the Old School thinking of mentalism which, in my book, is a good thing; we are the Readers and the one's that walk that thin line between Charlatan and Thespian.

For starters, you need to learn the basics and that means working your way through Corinda and Annemann's Practical Mental Magic; these are foundation books filled with solid material (though a bit dated by today's standards). To augment these studies I'll point you to two important sources; Switchcraft from Elliott Bresler and Psychophysiological Though Reading by Banachek. These books will give you insight to the other two key skills you will want to develop; billet work and Muscle Reading. Once you have these two skills & solid cold Reading skills you are 90% down the road you're currently traveling.

Honing your skills in these areas will take years. Being "new" to Mentalism means that you have at least 2-3 years worth of development time, it won't come over night.

"Hard Hitting" bits that can be done during a Palm or Tarot Reading can be done I think the title is Free Flowing Mentalism by Pete Turner that just came out. It will give you the kind of advantages you're looking for that flow naturally from conversation but it will likewise give you material that relies on the skills I've already mentioned.

For Cold Reading I will point you to Richard Webster, he has several books and a audio series that focuses on Numerology that will take you a long way PSYCHOMETRY FROM A-Z is the most important of his books followed by YOU ARE A RAINBOW which will aid you in Reading Auras. My introduction to Mentalism and Cold Reading are the books you really need but it has been pulled recently and is no longer available (but will be again later this year, as part of an Anthology now being created -- save your money it will be expensive)

Feel free to IM me, I'm always glad to help a new neophyte find their footing.

Jun 13, 2013
Hampton Roads, VA
Awesome! I've always been very interested in mentalism because of its alliance with cold reading which, as a psychology/theatre major, is something i've studied quite extensively. I'm excited to check out the books you've mentioned, thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

(Also how funny is it that when I googled 'Free flowing Mentalism Pete Turner' this thread is the third option to pop up)

Jun 13, 2013
Hampton Roads, VA
Yeah, I figured it out after the youtube suggestions popped up. I already finished reading Practical Mental Magic and have started watching Freeform; definitely getting excited to try some of this stuff out!

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
Yeah, I figured it out after the youtube suggestions popped up. I already finished reading Practical Mental Magic and have started watching Freeform; definitely getting excited to try some of this stuff out!

Don't just Read through the book, spend time with it! STUDY!

I was joking with Peter just last night about how I torture my books -- I tear them up by highlighting, margin notes, etc. unless you were a fan of mine, wanting to get insight as to how my brain works, my library is essentially useless for resale because I use them for what they are -- TEXT BOOKS.

Technically speaking Freeform Mentalism is way outside of where you need to be at right now; you're a first year student of the craft and you don't have the foundations set into memory. While this material will give you some serious advantages when doing Readings, I would discourage you from chasing the "trends" that are out there until you get the basics. Get back to PMM and Corinda with maybe, the Banachek books on Psychological Forces; BUILD YOUR FOUNDATION SKILLS FIRST!

Once you know this material then invest in the book MIND READING from WonderWizards.com and spend time with it; this is one of the most important books to come out in decades. Couple it with Paul Brook's Alchemical Tools and then you will find yourself on decent footing when it comes to theory, viable routines, etc.

If you are going to do anything in life, do it right the first time or don't do it.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results