Loops for Beginners

Oct 6, 2007
Hey all!

I recently had an interest in effects using LOOPS. I purcahsed my first pack of loops a few days ago, and already broke 4 out of the 5 being the smarta** I am...:D

Anyway, does anyone ahve any advice for me starting out with this whole LOOPS thing?

I'm interested in gettting vol. 1 & vol. 3 Guerilla Guide to LOOPS from ellusionist. Is taht a good decision? I'm more interestred in card effects using LOOPS.

Also, if anyone has any tips (besides practising with thread and not a real loop- i've learnt my lesson) could you mention them?

I.e. best time to use loops, where? How to increase longevity? Etc.

Thanks!

D

Deleted member 2755

Hey all!

I recently had an interest in effects using LOOPS. I purcahsed my first pack of loops a few days ago, and already broke 4 out of the 5 being the smarta** I am...:D

Anyway, does anyone ahve any advice for me starting out with this whole LOOPS thing?

I'm interested in gettting vol. 1 & vol. 3 Guerilla Guide to LOOPS from ellusionist. Is taht a good decision? I'm more interestred in card effects using LOOPS.

Also, if anyone has any tips (besides practising with thread and not a real loop- i've learnt my lesson) could you mention them?

I.e. best time to use loops, where? How to increase longevity? Etc.

Thanks!

In Volume 1 on the LOOPS collection, Nathan teaches ways to make your loop last longer. I also recommend actually buying some thread so that you can make a bunch of loops without having to worry about breakage so much. Over time your loops will break less and less. I've never bought a pack of loops in my life because I've always thought they were a rip off. Go to http://www.penguinmagic.com . Buy the Million Dollar Knot for 20 bucks. You get an instant download teaching you how to tie your own loops and a few fun effects to do. You also get a small spool of thread called PET. PET is a very invisible elastic thread, but it is very weak. (So when doing effects, try not to use too many cards. You'll know what I mean when practicing.) If you enjoy loops, don't want as much breakage, and some stronger thread, then I recommend you buy Infinity Thread which is found on Penguin for 60 bucks. (Plus free shipping) Plus to tie the loop, there is a bunch of *can't say because of *exposure* of knot tying.:rolleyes: You'll know if you buy it.* for $2.50. I highly recommend it.

-Doug

Dec 17, 2007
Canada
while im sure infinity thread is a good quality if you dont want to spend 60 get mesikas elastics for 24.95 a ellusionist also definitely buy the million dollar knot. you are going to need magicians wax i forgot if that comes with the million dollar knot. But anyway million dollar knot teaches you a few tricks to get started.Oh and this is my personal opinion nut never buy a pk ring.

-Michael

D

Deleted member 2755

while im sure infinity thread is a good quality if you dont want to spend 60 get mesikas elastics for 24.95 a ellusionist also definitely buy the million dollar knot. you are going to need magicians wax i forgot if that comes with the million dollar knot. But anyway million dollar knot teaches you a few tricks to get started.Oh and this is my personal opinion nut never buy a pk ring.

-Michael

But with Yigal's I'm pretty sure you only get something like 100 ft. ;) While that is a lot of thread.... 6 miles of thread for 60 is the equivalent of getting 1 mile of thread for 10 bucks. Not to mention that this thread is AMAZING quality. AND this thread can split into 4 strands. (Many say 3... mine splits into 4... don't ask me why.) I usually use the double strand which means I am actually doubling the amount of thread.... That means 12 miles of amazing thread. (If you like the thinnest strand though which is a bit more delicate, that means 24 miles of thread!) I do know that thread wears out after a while, but if you keep it in the bag that is included and in a dark place like a drawer or something, this thing can last you many years! The Million Dollar Knot also includes some wax. However, to last you even longer, as I said in my post above... but Michael said what it required so ill say it... Penguin sells a pretty nice amount of magicians wax for $2.50! :D So I recommend you buy Infinity Thread, Million Dollar Knot, and wax. However, hold off on the Infinity Thread. As I said before, buy Million Dollar knot which includes PET thread. Use that and if you like loops, get Infinity Thread afterwards.

-Doug

JoeCarr

Banned
Jan 6, 2008
Manchester
im also interested in this kinda stuff, the effect 'static' by DG, looks like my kinda thing, if anyone has any tips for a REAL ABSOLUTE 100% beginner in loops, i'd appreciate it.. :) like the cheapest etc... i wouldnt use it a lot, so nothing of incredible quality... thanks

Oct 6, 2007
Update

Hi!

My update on loops: Got vol. 1 and 3 of the Guerilla Guide to LOOPS by Ellusonist.

It's going pretty well for me, but I'm having som problems regarding the breakage of loops.

I've already almost gone thru my second pack of loops in like 4 days.

COuld you give me some tips on how to make the loops last longer? - I mean sure! Be careful etc. etc. but are there any special tips on how to use them and stuff?

Dec 22, 2007
California: LA
well i recommend getting the invisible elastic thread dispenser from E. along with that you should get dvds. you could get the loops 3 dvd set, loops vol 1 and 2 by yigal mesika (creator of the best IET), or the cloak by justin miller.

Oct 21, 2007
www.hi5.com
I say forget about the guerilla guide, and get Loops 1 and 2 from Finn John and Yigal Mesika. I just got them, and the advice given is ten times better than the Guerilla Guide. But, it is still your choice. The best advice given on the Guerilla Guide is how to make your Loops last longer. But it's your opinion.

Sep 1, 2007
Cornwall
lol most of these people dont have a clue

listen
get either silk worm or if not, then yigals despencer

dont buy it from E, you can get it other places for much cheaper

to tie the loops, put some gum or wax or something of that sort on 2 ends of the string
put it around your hand, and tie a knot, then rip the remaining strong left over (the string between the knot and the gum/wax)
and you have tied yourself a loop...

guerrilla's guide for loops ripoff

I own the dvd set of the Guerrilla's guide for loops volumes 1 - 3. In my opinion they are a huge ripoff. Volume 1 doesn't mention anything about tying your own loops and the tips for long life can be magically discovered through common sense. The effects for using the loops throughout the dvd can also be thought of with imagination. One of the effects don't even use loops. The only good effect taught is in volume 3.

Think first, act later.

D

Deleted member 2755

but i have tries life, and it makes guys giggle like school girls and makes school girls laugh like arnold schwarzeneggar

I would LOVE to do Life, but I always have some sort of problem with my bill. :( It's really cool though and I will keep trying to do it. :)

I would recommend checking out Blank Out. It's an awesome effect that you do AFTER any card effect. (You'll know why if you know the effect.)

It's fascinating. I have gotten reactions like you wouldn't believe. I actually completely ignored the effect at first. However, after seeing Justin do it live at his lecture... I had to go right back to it. It's now my favorite loop effect.

Life would be my 2nd favorite if I could do it. :)

-Doug

Sep 1, 2007
I would recommend checking out Blank Out. It's an awesome effect that you do AFTER any card effect. (You'll know why if you know the effect.)

It's fascinating. I have gotten reactions like you wouldn't believe. I actually completely ignored the effect at first. However, after seeing Justin do it live at his lecture... I had to go right back to it. It's now my favorite loop effect.

-Doug

Meh, the beginning of the trick where the spectators are required to deal cards takes a lot out of the effect.

On a side note, it's funny how E chose to put the performance where Justin screwed up a little for the final product.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results