Magic as a profession?

Mar 20, 2009
Al Wakrah, Qatar
Can you guys answer the following questions for me plz:

1. How many of you want to take up magic as a profession?
2. Why do you want to take up magic as a profession?
3. If you already have, how is it?
4. What are the benefits?
5. Downside?

Aug 18, 2008
I think it is most amateur magician's dream to become a professional. I would love to one day do it, but its kinda like dreaming to be in the NBA. Its not likely at all. It is possible and I'm going to work hard for it, but most likely magic will just be a side job and hobby for me. The benefits would be I can imagine it being an incredible job and really fun. Downsides would of course be that it is not a reliable job, meaning if you can no longer produce or break your hand..you would be screwed.

Oct 1, 2008
earth
I think it is most amateur magician's dream to become a professional. I would love to one day do it, but its kinda like dreaming to be in the NBA. Its not likely at all. It is possible and I'm going to work hard for it, but most likely magic will just be a side job and hobby for me. The benefits would be I can imagine it being an incredible job and really fun. Downsides would of course be that it is not a reliable job, meaning if you can no longer produce or break your hand..you would be screwed.

that was very well said

I would like to be a neurosurgeon when I grow up.

magic would be a side/part time/onceinawhile job

Jan 18, 2009
Can you guys answer the following questions for me plz:

1. How many of you want to take up magic as a profession?
2. Why do you want to take up magic as a profession?
3. If you already have, how is it?
4. What are the benefits?
5. Downside?

1. Yes I do and it's currently a side job for me (17 years old)
2. I love performing and really would like to do something fun for the rest of my life.
3. It's simple but difficult at the same time, you really need to learn to micromanage many different aspects of your magic.
4. It's fun, you don't work many hours in the day, and the tips are even better.
5. Any mishaps with your fingers or hand can really alter your performance but I did perform one gig with a broken ring and middle finger on my left hand. I performed more simple effects and had more mentalist based tricks that time.
It's entertainment and while America is all about getting entertained it can be difficult to find work.

Mar 20, 2009
Al Wakrah, Qatar
1. Yes I do and it's currently a side job for me (17 years old)
2. I love performing and really would like to do something fun for the rest of my life.
3. It's simple but difficult at the same time, you really need to learn to micromanage many different aspects of your magic.
4. It's fun, you don't work many hours in the day, and the tips are even better.
5. Any mishaps with your fingers or hand can really alter your performance but I did perform one gig with a broken ring and middle finger on my left hand. I performed more simple effects and had more mentalist based tricks that time.
It's entertainment and while America is all about getting entertained it can be difficult to find work.

I'm 15. So do you have any advice for me about performing? Especially street magic. It would really help me.

Jul 12, 2008
Kendal
MaSH. I am fifteen and I do magic as a side job. I don't think there's much hope for getting work as a street magician (assuming you're meaning the type that david blaine does rather than the type William Draven refers to) I work at a restaurant with Randomwrath. We did it weekly until a few days ago but now they have said that they want us monthly but they're going to advertise it a lot. I think the credit crunch is making it harder to get work. Particularly as an entertainer, which is a seen as a luxury that can be disposed of in times of brokeness.

I would love to be a magician full-time but (as has already been said) it isn't reliable, so I think everyone needs a 'back-up' job incase they're not getting enough work; for them to fall back on. I want to be a full time magician because I love to perform. I really enjoy the feeling of having amazed someone, and them having enjoyed it too. I simply love being a magician. I could write you a whole essay about how much I love the art of magic, but you would be reading all day.

The work that I have already is brilliant. It's kind of like getting paid for babysitting; it's brilliant because you're getting paid for something you love to do (except instead of lounging around someone else's large house drinking tea, you are amazing the crowds and being tipped generously) I look forward to each gig - I would anyway but the money just sweetens the deal *smiles happily*. Honestly I want to be a full-time magician because there is not much I enjoy doing more and the pay is good ASWELL!

The benefits are that you gt to do what you love doing and everyone else loves you doing it too. The downsides are that your employer can suddenly tell you that they want you one time out of four that you would normally have from now on.

Honestly there's not a better job that I can think of than being a full-time magician.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results