Magic Basics

Apr 25, 2009
Yorktown, VA
I have been gorging myself over tons of random notes and lectures of high-class magicians lately and one of the reoccurring themes for just starting out is to master the basics. But they never delve deeper into that thought. What are the basics??? I mean, the only thing that comes to mind is that you should know how to do a solid double lift for card magic. What are some other moves??? And what about coin magic??? Is there some basics in Mentalism that I should be working on???

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
For cards - Royal Road to Card Magic
For coins - Bobo's Modern Coin Magic
For Mentalism - Stanislavski :)

Apr 25, 2009
Yorktown, VA
Are those books or DVDs???

And what are the moves that I should be learning, because often I see that the sources that I have just don't cover it.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Books.

The moves you should be learning are the moves taught in those books.

Well, not for mentalism. I consider the 'basics' of mentalism to be acting skills mostly, so there aren't moves there. Hence why I said Stanislavski.

Apr 25, 2009
Yorktown, VA
What about the five Card College books, are those worth looking into??? And for Bobo, I found two books. One is just "Modern Coin Magic" while the other is "New Modern Coin Magic." The later is worth more and I get the feeling that it has everything the first does. Though, then again I do not know. As far as Stanislavski, I am not finding anything with him. Is there any specific book or video with him that I should be looking into??? And while you say acting, just basic skills of the theater???

Mar 27, 2010
England
www.youtube.com
cards- palm, DL, top change, false cut, classic pass, erdnase color change, anyway of contoling a card to the top

coins- classic palm, finger palm, thumb palm tenkai palm, basicly all the palms

mentalism- dunno

Sep 3, 2007
I have been gorging myself over tons of random notes and lectures of high-class magicians lately and one of the reoccurring themes for just starting out is to master the basics. But they never delve deeper into that thought. What are the basics??? I mean, the only thing that comes to mind is that you should know how to do a solid double lift for card magic. What are some other moves??? And what about coin magic??? Is there some basics in Mentalism that I should be working on???

If all that you got was a solid double lift then I'm really curious on which type you learned.

Apr 25, 2009
Yorktown, VA
If all that you got was a solid double lift then I'm really curious on which type you learned.

I have a bit more than a double lift, though I have a couple of those. I just don't know the names. I use three different types. I can do a lot with cards, but I want to get deep into them. Though the main subject of what I am hearing from these lectures are "Master the Basics." I just want to know what those other moves are.

Sep 3, 2007
I have a bit more than a double lift, though I have a couple of those. I just don't know the names. I use three different types. I can do a lot with cards, but I want to get deep into them. Though the main subject of what I am hearing from these lectures are "Master the Basics." I just want to know what those other moves are.

The way I see it... There is no race to finish. Master the basics is inherent with anything.

Apr 6, 2010
Mark Wilsons Complete Course in Magic is perfect for learning the basics.

It teaches pretty much all of them really well and informs you of how they are important, whilst giving you clear instruction.

I highly recommend it for a comprehensive course in the foundations of card and coin magic,

Steve

Sep 3, 2007
Mark Wilsons Complete Course in Magic is perfect for learning the basics.

It teaches pretty much all of them really well and informs you of how they are important, whilst giving you clear instruction.

I highly recommend it for a comprehensive course in the foundations of card and coin magic,

Steve

So what 3 doubles? Strike, push-off and classic. Obviously he knows his stuff.

Jan 26, 2008
Sweden
I dont think that there is a rule that says that these moves are the basic moves that you should learn. It all depends on what you want to do with your magic.

I think you should learn how to:

Get breaks/hold breaks
Control cards
Switch cards (Dl, top change)
Force cards (Classic, riffle)
False shuffle
Palms (toping the deck, one handed,bottom)

You really dont need much more then that.

I mean David Blaine made one of the most well known magic shows with just a control a force and a DL. lol and he got rich.

Mar 27, 2010
I believe missdirection is the basic skill for a magician, making it seem natural and not forced.

yea. basiclly thoes books are a good jumping point
but i feel that it also means master what you know also.
if you cant do that move 100 times perfectly, then you dont have them mastered. thats an easy way to look at it.
double lift, do it 100 times perfectly. i bet its hard.

Oct 29, 2009
Just around
the strike and the push off are second deals not double lifts.
Actually they are double lifts (double turnovers to be exact).

As for the OP, I'd repeat what everybody else has said. As for your question about Card College, yes, they are beyond worth it. Get them.

Cheers

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Ahh, this is a funny thread.

What's a Stanislavski? Push off DLs? Vague and clichéd folk wisdom?

Wallmott and Skater Steve's advice has been particularly good so far. As far as mentalism goes, the very first place you should go is Bob Cassidy's Fundamentals. Best beginner's guide to mentalism overall.

Also, Google search "An Actor Prepares". Actually Google all of the suggestions given. It shouldn't be too hard to work out for yourself what's what.

Apr 6, 2010
Surely Corinda's 13 Steps would also suffice for mentalism? Im not a mentalist but ive heard they are the best place to start.

Apr 1, 2009
California
I dont think that there is a rule that says that these moves are the basic moves that you should learn. It all depends on what you want to do with your magic.

I think you should learn how to:

Get breaks/hold breaks
Control cards
Switch cards (Dl, top change)
Force cards (Classic, riffle)
False shuffle
Palms (toping the deck, one handed,bottom)

You really dont need much more then that.

I mean David Blaine made one of the most well known magic shows with just a control a force and a DL. lol and he got rich.

David blaine made one of the most well know magic shows with countless hours of practice and truly mastering his craft. As well as the persistance to succeed. He's able to take those basics and use them to create miracles because of just how well he has them down. The man is brilliant and one of the hardest working artists I know of. With his example, you should know that a basic routine can take you places... Great places... But it should be down sooo well that it looks like you don't even need to try... Although, he handles cards crazily.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results