Magic/Cardistry New Years Resolutions

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Tell me this: Is there such a thing as decent quality jumbo cards? I'm not looking for Bicycle quality but all of the ones I have found are utterly terrible...

There are Bicycle Jumbo Cards in the "Big Box" : http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S5598

There used to be a different "Big Bicycle" version that were thicker, but Bicycle switched to the new design. There are not any of those cards readily available.

You also can get Parlor Sized cards from Card Shark: http://card-shark.de/index.cfm?page=57 Those aren't quite as big as Jumbo but are visible and easier to handle.

Tower of Lunatic Meat

Elite Member
Sep 27, 2014
Texa$, with a dollar sign
Why not? Not even plastics will do?

It depends on what you want to do with the cards. For me, it was either gaffes blanks or no cards at all.

Plus, sanitizing 52 cards afterwards is going to be a super fun endeavor.

And from what I have seen in videos (regarding interaction and how the effect lands), I don't think most card tricks are really all that good to utilize (I say most because I have two pocket tricks in double backed card protector sleeves for ease of sanitization and handling on their end. Packet tricks work better, I think).
That's why I wanted to use blanks and have them sign their name on them because it's an easier pill to swallow than have them memorize a chosen card. Say 6 of spades. It's too abstract and meaningless to them, I think.

I figure since you're working uphill with roller skates on the issue, working with cards is more trouble than it's worth.

Nov 10, 2014
If I really wanted to do card tricks under those circumstances I would probably do something like Twisting The Aces where they don't have to touch the cards but you can still pull off a very cool trick.

Tower of Lunatic Meat

Elite Member
Sep 27, 2014
Texa$, with a dollar sign
If I really wanted to do card tricks under those circumstances I would probably do something like Twisting The Aces where they don't have to touch the cards but you can still pull off a very cool trick.

I thought about that too, doing card tricks where they don't touch.

I'm trying to account for the curious child who gets too curious and touches a deck or cards--especially an expensive gaff deck if we are playing semantics (my favorite game to play). I just don't want to bring tricks where I'd be stressed out about someone making them 'unusable'.

Something that can be easily cleaned.

A lot of the repertoire I'm building is literally plastic tricks and coins; no cards, sponges, latex, bunnies, flash paper, anything that makes a mess, or 'Pyro'.

To make sanitization easier, I seriously have two packet tricks where each card is in a card protector, and then placed in an Ultrapro plastic Toploader. Easy for them to handle, easy for me to clean.

Jan 4, 2015
In a shocking turn of events, for the first time ever, I have actually managed to achieve a New Year's Resolution, and in only ten days!

I know there are rules about advertising on this forum so I won't push my luck, but if you're interested my ebook 'Card Ideas' is now available for only $7 at Lybrary.com.*

I just want to say thanks to everyone on this forum who has given me feedback on the videos/routines I have posted, several of which feature in the ebook. You're enthusiasm for the routines it what spurred me on.

If anything, hopefully this will inspire others to chase their dream and just go for it!

I look forward to hearing updates on everyone else magic resolutions as well!

Rev

*Mods, if this is in anyway completely unacceptable, please let me know, or feel free to delete this post. I like this forum too much to get chucked out!
Congrats Man looks great id buy it if i could I'm writing too except I'm working on a novel

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results