Magic Stream - Ellusionist

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
Well stated.

But you make a good point; the 'wiseguy' personality who simply want to be able to shout, "I know how you did that" and heckle a performer now has access to so much detailed information (on YouTube in particular).
For the Art of Magic it is far more than the 'knowledge' or 'understanding' of the technique and involves much practice and training to perform those necessary moves. Not to mention other skills like audience management and storytelling.
I want to remind all who read this that we should give ourselves credit for being Entertainers and Performers foremost. I find myself easily lost in the focus on being a strong mechanic (particularly with card and coin sleights) and lose this important perspective.
The erost one is when they say I know how you did that, and they tell you something you actually didn't do.

Josh Mickelson

Elite Member
Apr 26, 2016
Utah
The erost one is when they say I know how you did that, and they tell you something you actually didn't do.

Honestly, I find great humor in hearing some of the explanations I hear for tricks. Whenever I perform Invisible Deck, or a variation utilizing The Advocate, I often hear suggestions such as a "mini voice-activated robotic arm," something that makes me smile to myself. Whenever I perform a color-changing deck there's always people who think it's a chemical reaction based off of body heat or breath or something. It's honestly quite entertaining as a performer for me. There's even been times when a spectator's guess at the method has given me actual ideas on how to accomplish a trick in a different way haha!

Reactions: Maaz Hasan
Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
Honestly, I find great humor in hearing some of the explanations I hear for tricks. Whenever I perform Invisible Deck, or a variation utilizing The Advocate, I often hear suggestions such as a "mini voice-activated robotic arm," something that makes me smile to myself. Whenever I perform a color-changing deck there's always people who think it's a chemical reaction based off of body heat or breath or something. It's honestly quite entertaining as a performer for me. There's even been times when a spectator's guess at the method has given me actual ideas on how to accomplish a trick in a different way haha!
Yeah, I like those plausible but ridiculous moments. However, when they try and convince you that you did "x" but you never even came close to doing that, it sometimes internally pisses me off.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results